Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:04:32 am

Author Topic: Adding HCl in gravimetric analysis  (Read 14878 times)  Share 

Christiano

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Why, Hello There
  • Respect: +12
Adding HCl in gravimetric analysis
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:00:18 pm »
Why is HCl added and boiled to the filtrate when finding the % of sulfate in lawn fertiliser?
2010: Legal Studies [34]
2011: English [41] Italian [27], Further Mathematics [32], Biology[40], Chemistry[34]
90.65 ATAR
2012: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Finance @ La Trobe University

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Adding HCl in gravimetric analysis
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »
Why is HCl added and boiled to the filtrate when finding the % of sulfate in lawn fertiliser?

It helps with the 'clumping' of the solid parts, making it easier to filter

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:02:22 am »
Acidifying the solution also helps to prevent other unwanted things precipitating (or, at least, so we were told when we did this in class).
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

scocliffe09

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
+1
Acidifying the solution also helps to prevent other unwanted things precipitating (or, at least, so we were told when we did this in class).
yep - acidifying the solution means that other things (e.g. carbonates (e.g. BaCO3)) will not precipitate and therefore won't affect the mass.
and also yep - heating it helps the precipitate go from colloidal (dispersed throughout solution) to crystalline (clumped together) to make filtration more effective and accurate.
Just back from spending the year at Oxford. Now onto final year Monash MBBS.

2009: Biology [50], Maths Methods (CAS) [45]
2010: English [50], German [50], Chemistry [50] Monash Uni Chem [5.5]
ATAR: 99.95.

luffy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:08:54 pm »
yep - acidifying the solution means that other things (e.g. carbonates (e.g. BaCO3)) will not precipitate and therefore won't affect the mass.
and also yep - heating it helps the precipitate go from colloidal (dispersed throughout solution) to crystalline (clumped together) to make filtration more effective and accurate.

Sorry, I don't know if this is a very basic question; but, why does heating it help the precipitate become crystalline?

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

Sorry, I don't know if this is a very basic question; but, why does heating it help the precipitate become crystalline?

This is by no means a VCE-level concept :P

Suspended colloid is a metastable phase. Crystalline solid is the lowest energy phase. The transition between colloid and crystal has a potential barrier, that is it requires energy to go from colloid to crystal, because the intermediate between the two phases is not stable. As such, heating it speeds up the process of colloid -> crystal by providing energy. You should note that in ordinary cases this transition is spontaneous, i.e. you can do nothing and it will just happen over a long time. By heating you are making this process much faster. [In some cases though you have to heat it for this to happen due to equilibrium effects and such, and in some cases even heating won't change anything. Colloidal science is a big study in chemistry]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:33:17 pm by Mao »
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

luffy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »

Suspended colloid is a metastable phase. Crystalline solid is the lowest energy phase. The transition between colloid and crystal has a potential barrier, that is it requires energy to go from colloid to crystal, because the intermediate between the two phases is not stable. As such, heating it speeds up the process of colloid -> crystal by providing energy. You should note that in ordinary cases this transition is spontaneous, i.e. you can do nothing and it will just happen over a long time. By heating you are making this process much faster. [In some cases though you have to heat it for this to happen due to equilibrium effects and such, and in some cases even heating won't change anything. Colloidal science is a big study in chemistry]

Wow - That actually sounds interesting Haha.

I was just confused because I thought it had something to do with the solubility curve (i.e. heating increases solubility), which would make it less crystalline. I don't know what I was thinking. :P

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 02:49:56 pm »

Wow - That actually sounds interesting Haha.

I was just confused because I thought it had something to do with the solubility curve (i.e. heating increases solubility), which would make it less crystalline. I don't know what I was thinking. :P

Actually, you are correct. What you have to realise is colloidal is suspended solids (like small floaties you can't get rid of). To force them to become part of a crystal, you need them to dissolve first. Thus why we heat it. When we eventually cool it down the crystal will naturally form.

Colloidal --(heat)--> dissolved --(cool down eventually)--> crystalline

The actual process is a bit more involved, but on a microscopic scale that is what actually happens.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:51:54 pm by Mao »
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015