Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:04:50 am

Author Topic: 2017 AA Club - Week 7  (Read 1806 times)

HopefulLawStudent

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
2017 AA Club - Week 7
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:38:22 pm »
+9
This week's piece is muuuuuch longer than the other pieces from previous weeks and it's also not a letter to the editor because I thought it was time we spiced things up a bit. The emphasis here is on selectivity. Yes, you could probably find twenty thousand things to talk about but the point of Analysing Argument/Language Analysis is not to show off how many techniques you know; rather, the focus should be on your explanation. Quality > Quantity.

Background: Today, we’re heading back to June 26, 1963 to analyse John F Kennedy’s “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech wherein he sought to underline the support of the US for West Germany several months after Soviet-supported East Germany erected the Berlin Wall to prevent mass emigration to the West. Aimed at Soviets and Berliners, it is considered one of Kennedy’s best speeches. Also, “Ich bin ein Berliner” means “I am a Berliner” and not (contrary to urban myth) “I am a jelly-filled doughnut”.

I am proud to come to this city as the guest of your distinguished Mayor, who has symbolized throughout the world the fighting spirit of West Berlin. And I am proud -- And I am proud to visit the Federal Republic with your distinguished Chancellor who for so many years has committed Germany to democracy and freedom and progress, and to come here in the company of my fellow American, General Clay, who -- who has been in this city during its great moments of crisis and will come again if ever needed.

Two thousand years ago -- Two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was "civis Romanus sum."1 Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Berliner."

(I appreciate my interpreter translating my German.)

There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world.

Let them come to Berlin.

There are some who say -- There are some who say that communism is the wave of the future.

Let them come to Berlin.

And there are some who say, in Europe and elsewhere, we can work with the Communists.

Let them come to Berlin.

And there are even a few who say that it is true that communism is an evil system, but it permits us to make economic progress.

Let them come to Berlin.

Freedom has many difficultes and democracy is not perfect. But we have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in -- to prevent them from leaving us. I want to say on behalf of my countrymen who live many miles away on the other side of the Atlantic, who are far distant from you, that they take the greatest pride, that they have been able to share with you, even from a distance, the story of the last 18 years. I know of no town, no city, that has been besieged for 18 years that still lives with the vitality and the force, and the hope, and the determination of the city of West Berlin.

While the wall is the most obvious and vivid demonstration of the failures of the Communist system -- for all the world to see -- we take no satisfaction in it; for it is, as your Mayor has said, an offense not only against history but an offense against humanity, separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters, and dividing a people who wish to be joined together.

What is -- What is true of this city is true of Germany: Real, lasting peace in Europe can never be assured as long as one German out of four is denied the elementary right of free men, and that is to make a free choice. In 18 years of peace and good faith, this generation of Germans has earned the right to be free, including the right to unite their families and their nation in lasting peace, with good will to all people.

You live in a defended island of freedom, but your life is part of the main. So let me ask you, as I close, to lift your eyes beyond the dangers of today, to the hopes of tomorrow, beyond the freedom merely of this city of Berlin, or your country of Germany, to the advance of freedom everywhere, beyond the wall to the day of peace with justice, beyond yourselves and ourselves to all mankind.

Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free. When all are free, then we look -- can look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one and this country and this great Continent of Europe in a peaceful and hopeful globe. When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades.

All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words --

"Ich bin ein Berliner."

scout

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +38
Re: 2017 AA Club - Week 7
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:48:05 pm »
+3
On June 26, 1963, John F Kennedy delivered his highly acclaimed speech "Ich bin ein Berliner" to West Berliners, where he sought to gain their support for the US. In a fervent tone, Kennedy urges his audience to unite with him in fighting for democratic rule worldwide, for the reunification of their country, Europe and, by extension, the entire world. He primarily appeals to his audience's sense of patriotism and idealism, and their hope for a more harmonious world than the divided world they currently live in.

Kennedy opens by lauding West Berliners for their democratic spirit, which he portrays as far superior to East Germany's communist mindset. He appeals to his audience's patriotism by declaring that he is "proud to come to this city", and that he knows of "no town", no city" quite like the brave, determined city of West Berlin. Kennedy's audience is indeed likely to feel a sense of patriotism from this praise, and a sense of pride for their city's fortitude and endurance during past times of oppression, which may perhaps instill them with the optimism and belief that they can overcome oppression once more with the US' aid; this time, an oppression in the form of communism. Kennedy extends this patriotic appeal by proclaiming that his "countrymen" also "take the greatest pride" in their 18-year relationship with West Berlin. The audience may feel a patriotic pride for their high reputation among the US community and, in addition, may sense that the US is truly willing to support their efforts to enforce democracy, further motivating them to join forces with the US in their democratic campaign. Furthermore, Kennedy aims to evoke a sense of superiority over East Germany in his audience, by affirming that "we" have never had to "put a wall up to keep our people in".  As free citizens, West Berliners may certainly feel morally superior to East Germany, and may be manoeuvred to ridicule their communist system, as they come to realise that the Berlin Wall is a grossly exaggerated and oppressive form of protectionism in response to East Germany's excessive xenophobia and nationalism. However, rather than encouraging his audience shun communists entirely from West Berlin, Kennedy then appeals to his audience's democratic values of tolerance and freedom, when he repeatedly insists in a dignified tone that they "let them [the communists] come to Berlin." The audience is invited to emulate Kennedy's sense of tolerance towards anti-democratic advocates, as they are positioned to believe that to do so would be a virtuous way of promoting democracy, based on Kennedy's dignified tone.

Kennedy proceeds to condemn the evils of communism, to highlight the need to subvert such system and to replace it with a democratic system. He appeals to his audience's sense of morality, when he brands communism as an "offence against humanity." From such denunciation, West Berliners may, indeed, feel that their sense of morality is being threatened by East Germany's communist regime, as the label connotes its criminality, and so they may feel obliged to counteract the spread of such political system that has been portrayed as a corrupt. Kennedy goes on to horrify his audience by delineating the "offence" committed by communist East Germany, including "separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters." Kennedy's audience is likely to be horrified by the ruthless way in which communists have torn apart families; in fact, many among his audience would have likely experienced the torment of being permanently isolated from loved ones, sparking a sense of indignation and thus, a desire to avenge the communists that had destroyed their lives, by fighting for the reign of democracy.

Kennedy ultimately argues that whatever they have experienced as a result of the Berlin Wall, West Berliners must fight for democracy to protect humans' universal right to freedom. He appeals to his audience's sense of moral justice, in declaring that "when one man is enslaved, all are not free." In doing so, West Berliners may indeed feel a sense of moral duty to fight for the liberty of their fellow countrymen on the other side of the Berlin Wall, as they come to realise that true freedom will only come with universal freedom; a freedom that East Germans do not have the privilege of sharing with their West Berlin counterparts. Extending upon this, Kennedy appeals to his audience's sense of idealism, by asserting that only when democracy has prevailed will this "great Continent of Europe" finally come together as a "peaceful and hopeful globe". Given Germany's entrapment in a long history of violence and war, Kennedy's audience is likely to be appealed by this idyllic image, and thus, may feel reassured by Kennedy that a democratic campaign throughout the world will help achieve this vision of peace and security that they long for. Kennedy concludes his speech by appealing to his audience's sense of comradeship, declaring "I am a Berliner." In doing so, West Berliners may be convinced that Kennedy truly has their interests at heart, compelling them to believe that joining the US' crusade for global democracy is what will truly help move West Berlin forward, away from its tumultuous past, and towards reunification with East Germany.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:08:14 pm by scout »
ATAR: 99.70

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:54:33 pm »
+4
On June 26, 1963, John F Kennedy delivered his highly acclaimedpossibly too evaluative? speech "Ich bin ein Berliner" to West Berliners, where he sought to gain the support of West Berlin for the US. In a fervent tone, Kennedy urges his audience to unite with him in fighting for democratic rule worldwide, for the reunification of their country, Europe, and, by extension, the entire world. He primarily appeals to his audience's sense of patriotism and idealism, and their hope for a more harmonious world than the divided world they currently live in. good intro!

Kennedy opens by laudinggood word! West Berliners for their democratic spirit, which he portrays as far superior to East Germany's communist mindset. He appeals to his audience's patriotism by declaring that he is "proud to come to this city", and that he knows of "no town", no "city" quite like the brave, determined city of West Berlin. Kennedy's audience is indeed likely to feel a sense of patriotism from this praise, and a sense of pride for their city's fortitude and endurance during past times of oppression, which may perhaps instill them with the optimism and belief that they can overcome oppression once more with the US' aid; this time, an oppression in the form of communism. Kennedy extends this patriotic appeal by proclaiming that his "countrymen" also "take the greatest pride" in their 18-year relationships with West Berlin. The audience may feel a patriotic pridesensing a bit of repetition here for their high reputation among the US community and, in addition, may sense that the US is truly willing to support their efforts to enforce democracy, further motivating them to join forces with the US in their democratic campaign. Furthermore, Kennedy aims to evoke a sense of superiority over East Germany in his audience, by affirming that "we" have never had to "put a wall up to keep our people in". West Berliners may, indeed, feel superior to and more privileged than East Germany, due to their abundance of freedom, and may subsequently ridicule East Germany's construction of the Berlin Wall as an exaggerated, futile form of protectionismnice!. However, rather than encouraging his audience to bar communists from West Berlin, Kennedy then appeals to his audience's democratic values of tolerance, and freedom, when he repeatedly insists that they "let them [the communists] come to Berlin."this isn't really how I interpreted the piece, I thought this phrase was more directed to those who don't see why communism is wrong (e.g soviets) I could be wrong though In this way, West Berliners may feel compelled to welcome communists with greater tolerance and an open mind, to promote democracy as a system that is sensible and diplomatic.

Kennedy proceeds to condemn the evils of communism, to highlighting the need to subvert such systems and to replace itthem with a democratic system. He appeals to his audience's sense of morality, when he brands communism as an "offence against humanity." From such denunciation, West Berliners may, indeed, feel that their sense of moralityrepetition, maybe use righteousness? is being threatened by East Germany's communist regime, as the label negativelyconnotes its criminality, and so they may feel obliged to counteract the spread of communism, which has been portrayed as a corrupt systembit of a clunky sentence. Kennedy goes on to horrify his audience by delineatinggood vocab! the "offence" committed by communist East Germany, including "separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters." Kennedy's audience is likely to be horrifiedrepetition, could use appalled or repelled by the ruthless way in which communists have torn apart families; in fact, many among his audience would have likely experienced the torment of being permanently isolated from loved ones, thussparking a sense of indignation and thus, a desire to avenge the communists that had destroyed their lives by fighting for the reign of democracybit long/confusing.

Kennedy ultimately argues that whatever they have experienced as a result of the Berlin Wall, West Berliners must fight for democracy to protect humans' universal right to freedom. He appeals to his audience's sense of moral justice, in declaring that "when one man is enslaved, all are not free." In doing so, West Berliners may indeed feel a sense of moral duty to fight for the liberty of their fellow countrymen on the other side of the Berlin Wall, as they come to realise that true freedom will only come with universal freedomnice!; a freedom that East Germans do not have the privilege of sharing with their West Berlin counterpartswhat do you mean by this. Extending upon this, Kennedy appeals to his audience's sense of idealism, by asserting that only when democracy has prevailed will this "great Continent of Europe" finally come together as a "peaceful and hopeful globe," Given Germany's entrapment in a long history of violence and war, Kennedy's audience is likely to be appealed by this idyllic image, and thus, may feel reassured by Kennedy that a democratic campaign throughout the world will help achieve this vision of peace and security that they long for. Kennedy concludes his speech by appealing to his audience's sense of comradeship, declaring "I am a Berliner." In doing so, West Berliners may be convinced that Kennedy truly has their interests at heart, compelling them to believe that joining the US' crusade for global democracy is what will truly help move West Berlin forward, away from its tumultuous past, and towards reunification with East Germany.

Overall, really good! I liked the arguments you chose and how you presented them + good vocab! I would say that to improve, you should aim to eliminate as much repetition as possible (especially if you use the same word in adjacent sentences) because it's something that really sticks in readers' minds and detracts from the writing a little (note that the phrase of "sense of __" is used a few times). Also, in some areas, the sentences are a little long and hard to follow so maybe split up your sentences or reword them for clarification. I'm a year 12 student so please take my advice with a grain of salt! ;D

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
In his passionate speech titled "Ich bin ein Berliner," John F Kennedy fervently argues that the erection of the Berlin Wall inhibits freedom, and that the people of Berlin should be hailed as heroes for living in spite of their curbed liberty.

The President initially concedes that freedom and democracy have their flaws, but intimates that these problems are trivial in comparison to the issues of Communism. He makes this concession by portraying freedom as having "many difficulties," and democracy as being "not perfect." Through bluntly accepting the possible fallibility of freedom, JFK reassures the audience that he is not overly biased, and that his position has been well-considered and the product of much cogitation. As such, members in the audience may feel more inclined to consider the speaker's espousal of freedom, because his seemingly paradoxical position of critiquing freedom while endorsing it may appeal to the curiosity of the audience. Kennedy proceeds to defend the legitimacy of democracy, averring that "we have never had to put a wall up" as a mechanism for maintaining control. By highlighting the radical nature of building a wall, he seeks to undermine Communists for their inability to prevent their population from revolting through normal means. The President mocks the folly logic employed by communists, contrasting it to democrats which have never had to "keep our people in".By repeating the same idea with different words, that a well-functioning society shouldn't have to "prevent [people] from leaving us", JFK aims to alert the viewership as to the barbaric and regressive measures of control present in a Communist system. Furthermore, he underscores the extent of the damage caused by Communism on people's lives, especially emphasising the impact is has had on the family unit. By revealing that it has lead to  "husbands and wives" being divided, the President aims to appeal to the fact that many audience members would have likely have spouses of their own, and as such elicit an emotional response of sympathy from the viewership.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:43 pm »
From the outset of his speech, John F Kennedy acknowledges how ambitious and successfully systematic Berlin has been. He congratulates the Mayor's "fighting spirit" he displays of West Berlin, and shows his respect towards the Chancellor whose involvement in the German societal development has continued for unusually long period of time. Explaining the Chacellor's involvement in this field "for so many years", Kennedy conveys his "commit[ment]" and the determination he must have had in order to bring some changes ino the German society. Valuing and respecting the significant figures, Kennedy, proves that he can recognize the important accomplishments of others, despite being the president. Moreover, by appraising Berlin on  many aspects, such as its "fighting spirit" and the dedication towards Germany's "democracy and freedom", he displays his appreciation of Germay's efforts, which, being the president, is likely to be very profoundly meaningful to its citizens. Appealing to a sense of patriotism, Kennedy immediately manages to attract the Berliners who are always willing to hear some compliments on their beloved country.

He then states anonymously of people in the world who have various opinions concerning communists and communism. Repeatedly, he expresses his willingness, "let them come to Berlin", asserting that regardless of their views, values and thoughts, they should be allowed to come if they wish to. Such repetition embeds the idea into the listener's mind, until the suggestion become more natural to them and they become less reluctant and more confident in accepting this idea. This allows the Berliners to adopt a more open attitude towards foreigners immigrating to Berlin.

No analysis of the second part though

scout

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:52:37 pm »
+1
In his passionate speech titled "Ich bin ein Berliner," John F Kennedy fervently choose one argues that the erection of the Berlin Wall inhibits freedom specify whose freedom, and that the people of Berlin should be hailed as heroes for living in spite of their curbed liberty.

The President initially concedes that freedom and democracy have their flaws, but intimates that these problems are trivial in comparison to the issues of Communism. He makes this concession by portraying freedom as having "many difficulties," and democracy as being "not perfect." Through bluntly accepting the possible fallibility of freedom, JFK reassures the audience that he is not overly biased, and that his position has been well-considered and the product of much cogitation. As such, members in the audience may feel more inclined to consider the speaker's espousal of freedom, because his seemingly paradoxical position of critiquing freedom while endorsing it may appeal to the curiosity of the audience Could you clarify this line a little bit: you've said that the audience may more openly embrace Kennedy's stance because he has appealed to their curiosity - can you clarify this from link curiosity --> speaker's credibility?.. Kennedy proceeds to defend the legitimacy of democracy, averring that "we have never had to put a wall up" as a mechanism for maintaining control. By highlighting the radical nature of building a wall, he seeks to undermine Communists for their inability to prevent their population from revolting through normal means what does this say about communism, and hence, Kennedy's contention?. The President mocks the folly logic what do you mean? employed by communists, contrasting it to democrats which have never had to "keep our people in".By repeating the same idea with different words, that a well-functioning society shouldn't have to "prevent [people] from leaving us", JFK aims to alert the viewership as to the barbaric and regressive explain how you got from the quote to this conclusion. Seems like a bit of a leap measures of control present in a Communist system. Furthermore, he underscores the extent of the damage caused by Communism on people's lives, especially emphasising the impact is has had on the family unit. By revealing that it has lead to  "husbands and wives" being divided, the President aims to appeal to the fact that many audience members would have likely have spouses of their own, and as such elicit an emotional response of sympathy from the viewership. towards who/what? Link to contention to avoid sounding vague.

Hey Hannibal, I like the points you're making :).  Just clarify some of your links b/w quote and analysis. 

scout

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
+1
From the outset of his speech, John F Kennedy acknowledges how ambitious and successfully systematic what do you mean? Berlin has been. He congratulates the Mayor's "fighting spirit" analyse this he displays of West Berlin, and shows his respect towards the Chancellor whose involvement in the German societal development has continued for unusually long period of time this is arguably summary/description. Explaining the Chacellor's involvement in this field "for so many years", Kennedy conveys his "commit[ment]" and the determination he must have had in order to bring some changes into the German society --> effect?. Valuing and respecting the significant figures, Kennedy, proves that he can recognize the important accomplishments of others, despite being the president I'm a bit confused here :\ what are you trying to say about Kennedy's contention?. Moreover, by appraising Berlin on  many aspects, such as its "fighting spirit" oh, are you analysing this quote here? and the dedication towards Germany's "democracy and freedom", he displays his appreciation of Germay's efforts, which, being the president, is likely to be very profoundly meaningful to its citizens so what's the effect on the audience, in relation to Kennedy's contention?. Appealing to a sense of patriotism, Kennedy immediately manages to attract the Berliners who are always willing to hear some compliments on their beloved country. evaluative

He then states anonymously of people in the world who have various opinions concerning communists and communism. what is Kennedy's argument? Repeatedly, he expresses his willingness to...?, "let them come to Berlin", asserting that regardless of their views, values and thoughts, they should be allowed to come if they wish to because...? (link to Kennedy's contention about the values of democracy, perhaps). Such repetition embeds the idea into the listener's mind, until the suggestion become more natural to them and they become less reluctant and more confident in accepting this idea. This allows the Berliners to adopt a more open attitude towards foreigners immigrating to Berlin.

No analysis of the second part though

Hey! I see that the arguments are there - just make them clearer, as well as your links b/w analysis and argument.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:36 pm »
Bump?  :P

HopefulLawStudent

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 10:48:17 am »
+2
In his passionate speech titled "Ich bin ein Berliner," John F Kennedy fervently argues that the erection of the Berlin Wall inhibits freedom, and that the people of Berlin should be hailed as heroes for living in spite of their curbed liberty. Is that all that he's trying to say?

The President initially concedes that freedom and democracy have their flaws, but intimates that these problems are trivial in comparison to the issues of Communism no capitalisation of communism. He makes this concession by portraying freedom as having "many difficulties," and democracy as being "not perfect." Through bluntly accepting the possible fallibility of freedom, JFK reassures the audience that he is not overly biased toward...? Be specific! , no comma here and that his position has been well-considered and the product of much cogitation. Well considered and much cogitation say essentially the same thing. As such, members in the audience may feel more inclined to consider the speaker's espousal of freedom, because his seemingly paradoxical position of critiquing freedom while endorsing it may appeal to the curiosity of the audience. Try and avoid this sort of analysis as much as possible because it doesn't really get you far. It's almost like you saying "he does this to grab the audience's attention!!!"Kennedy proceeds to defend the legitimacy of democracy, averring that "we have never had to put a wall up" as a mechanism for maintaining control. Unnecessary By highlighting the radical nature of building a wall, he seeks to undermine Communists for their inability to prevent their population from revolting through normal means. What do you mean? What are you trying to say? How have you reached this conclusion from the averment "we have never had to put a wall up"? The President mocks the folly Folly is a noun and doesn't quite work in this context; either just using "folly" or someth like "fallacious logic" would have worked better. How have you gone from the quote to "fallacious logic" though? You need to better explain that connection! Take us through your thinking and spoonfeed us with information! logic employed by communists, contrasting it to democrats which who have never had to "keep our people in". By repeating the same idea with different words, that a well-functioning society shouldn't have to "prevent [people] from leaving us", Could be made more concise. JFK aims to alert the viewership as to the barbaric and regressive measures of control present in a Communist system. Furthermore, he underscores the extent of the damage caused by Communism on people's lives, especially emphasising the impact it has had on the family unit. How does he do that? By revealing that it has lead to  "husbands and wives" being divided, the President aims to appeal to the fact that many audience members would have likely have spouses of their own, and as such elicit an emotional response of unnecessary. sympathy from the viewership.

On June 26, 1963, John F Kennedy delivered his highly acclaimed speech "Ich bin ein Berliner" to West Berliners, where he sought to gain their support for the US. In a fervent tone, Kennedy urges his audience to unite with him in fighting for democratic rule worldwide, for the reunification of their country, Europe and, by extension, the entire world. He primarily appeals to his audience's sense of patriotism and idealism, and their hope for a more harmonious world than the divided world they currently live in. v good

Kennedy opens by lauding West Berliners for their democratic spirit, which he portrays as far superior to East Germany's communist mindset. He appeals to his audience's patriotism by declaring that he is "proud to come to this city", and that he knows of "no town", no city" quite like the brave, determined city of West Berlin. Kennedy's audience is indeed likely to feel a sense of patriotism from this praise, and a sense of pride for their city's fortitude and endurance during past times of oppression, which may perhaps instill instil not instill them with the optimism and belief that they can overcome oppression once more with the US' aid; this time, an oppression in the form of communism. Very long sentence and this underlined section seems a bit clumsily worded but otherwise good.Kennedy extends this patriotic appeal by proclaiming that his "countrymen" What's the significance of "countrymen"? How does it operate and cause the audience to feel patriotic pride? LIke yes, I can connect the dots but I shouldn't have to because it should be dead clear wtf you mean. also "take the greatest pride" in their 18-year relationship with West Berlin. The audience may feel a patriotic pride for their high reputation among the US community Also the repetition of this "patriotism" idea isn't ideal everything else is solid though so good job. and, in addition, may sense that the US is truly willing to support their efforts to enforce democracy How have you drawn this connection?, further motivating them to join forces with the US in their democratic campaign. Furthermore, Kennedy aims to evoke a sense of superiority over East Germany in his audience, by affirming that "we" have never had to "put a wall up to keep our people in".  As free citizens, West Berliners may certainly feel morally superior to East Germany, Unnecessary repetition of an idea you've already raised.and may be manoeuvred to ridicule their communist system, as they come to realise that the Berlin Wall is a grossly exaggerated and oppressive form of protectionism in response to East Germany's excessive xenophobia and nationalism. However, rather than encouraging his audience shun communists entirely from West Berlin, Kennedy then appeals to his audience's democratic values of tolerance and freedom, when he repeatedly insists in a dignified tone that they "let them [the communists] come to Berlin." The audience is invited to emulate Kennedy's sense of tolerance towards anti-democratic advocates, as they are positioned to believe that to do so would be a virtuous way of promoting democracy, based on Kennedy's dignified tone.

Kennedy proceeds to condemn the evils of communism, to highlight the need to subvert such system and to replace it with a democratic system. He appeals to his audience's sense of morality, no comma here when he brands communism as an "offence against humanity." From such denunciation, West Berliners may, indeed, Unnecessary feel that their sense of morality is being threatened by East Germany's communist regime, as the label connotes its criminality, and so they may feel obliged to counteract the spread of such political system that has been portrayed as a corrupt. Watch your sentences - they get a little long and rambly sometimes.Kennedy goes on to horrify his audience by delineating the "offence" committed by communist East Germany, including "separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters." Kennedy's audience is likely to be horrified by the ruthless way in which communists have torn apart families; in fact, many among his audience would have likely experienced the torment of being permanently isolated from loved ones, sparking a sense of indignation and thus, a desire to avenge the communists that had destroyed their lives, by fighting for the reign of democracy. Watch your sentence lengths!!! Also, arguably, horrified and indignation overlap enough that you don't really need to say that theyre likely to be both horrified and indignant.

Kennedy ultimately argues that whatever they have experienced as a result of the Berlin Wall What are you trying to say here?, West Berliners must fight for democracy to protect humans' universal right to freedom. He appeals to his audience's sense of moral justice, in declaring that "when one man is enslaved, all are not free." In doing so, West Berliners may indeed feel a sense of moral duty to fight for the liberty of their fellow countrymen on the other side of the Berlin Wall, as they come to realise that true freedom will only come with universal freedom; a freedom that East Germans do not have the privilege of sharing with their West Berlin counterparts. Extending upon this, Kennedy appeals to his audience's sense of idealism, no comma here by asserting that only when democracy has prevailed will this "great Continent of Europe" finally come together as a "peaceful and hopeful globe". Given Germany's entrapment in a long history of violence and war, Kennedy's audience is likely to be appealed by this too verbose idyllic image, and thus, may feel reassured by Kennedy that a democratic campaign throughout the world will help achieve this vision of peace and security that they long for. Kennedy concludes his speech by appealing to his audience's sense of comradeship, declaring "I am a Berliner." In doing so, West Berliners may be convinced that Kennedy truly has their interests at heartWhy? Yes, your assessor can work it out for themselves, but you should be spoonfeeding us info not shoving us in the right direction and leaving us to connect the dots., compelling them to believe that joining the US' crusade for global democracy is what will truly help move West Berlin forward, away from its tumultuous past, and towards reunification with East Germany.