Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:09:17 am

Author Topic: Cutting down hours at work  (Read 1907 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Cutting down hours at work
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:34:05 pm »
I honestly don't know the best way to approach this to my boss without coming off as undedicated and lazy. I will be attending university four times a week (7 hours per day) so I can't do half day shifts.

I can do 12 hours of work (2 shifts) per week, but I honestly would prefer doing 8 hours (1 shift) so that I still have two days to relax, do assignments and catch up with friends. I still want to keep this job (it's fairly decent) and would hate it if I got let go just because I cut down my hours from 20 hours down to 8-12 hours per week.

I'm still available all day from Saturday to Monday.

Anyone have any clue on how I should do this? Thank you :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Cutting down hours at work
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:41:11 pm »
+1
I honestly don't know the best way to approach this to my boss without coming off as undedicated and lazy. I will be attending university four times a week (7 hours per day) so I can't do half day shifts.

I can do 12 hours of work (2 shifts) per week, but I honestly would prefer doing 8 hours (1 shift) so that I still have two days to relax, do assignments and catch up with friends. I still want to keep this job (it's fairly decent) and would hate it if I got let go just because I cut down my hours from 20 hours down to 8-12 hours per week.

Hey! Can't exactly help as at my work, you can get away with 3 hours a week on the roster for a year if you want! I would definitely let him know, 8-12 hours during university is still a fair commitment. At my work, I generally only get 6-10 hours a week and then take shifts if I can. Maybe you can offer to take shifts if needed if you are available? Trust me you are definitely not lazy for cutting back, 100%. If you need another job though, I can always put in a good word at Kmart ;)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:45:24 pm »
+1

Next time you have a shift, speak to your HR manager or your main manager, explaining the situation!  They may understand that you are a uni student. Try something like this.

"HI (manager)...are you busy?"
If no....

"Thank you for taking some time out to speak to me! I wanted to talk to you about my hours. I love my job and everything, but I'll be starting uni soon. I'll be going to uni on 4 days (SHOW TIMETABLE) and that's going to make it hard for me to do 20 hours. I'll need some time for study and other things, would it be possible if I could cut down the hours from 20 to 8?"

//sidenote
- Some managers do actually end up finding another worker and not giving you shifts... but if they do that...(then I guess it might not be a flexible enough workplace for you. It depends how much they like you.
- Be honest and transparent

VERY IMPORTANT
- Give at least 2 or 3 weeks notice so they can at least plan, don't just start uni... and then say... "Boss I'll have uni".
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:48:06 pm by EEEEEEP »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:50:28 pm »
+2
You can always give your boss a copy of your timetable? :)

Honestly you just have to go up to them and have an honest discussion. It's scary at first when you're new but your manager knows that you're at uni so they should be understanding. As long as you make it clear that you need to reduce hours because of uni and not because you can't be bothered, it'll be all g

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:12:27 am »
+11
Hey!

This is obviously a conversation that might strike up the nerves in you. You’re worried about seeming lazy and worried about what your boss thinks.

Often, when people are nervous, they start hedging, speak without a lot of definition and generally are indirect in the way they communicate.

I wouldn’t ask your boss if it’s possible to move down. It is possible, don’t ask. Just express your needs directly.

“Yo boss, I need to cut my hours down.”

(Okay, fine, don’t say that, that’s unprofessional). Say:

”Hey Name, have you got two minutes? I start uni in two weeks, so I need to cut my hours down”.

Key phrase: “I need to cut my hours down”. If it’s less direct than that, there’s a great chance you aren’t communicating efficiently and effectively.

Two ways this goes: “okay, cool.”

Or

“Sorry, you can’t”

At which point, you say:

“Okay, do you have a pen so I can write my letter of resignation?”

(Only half joking)

(Honestly probably only 20% joking... 80% serious).

——

Long story short, be direct about it as be confident. Your boss will be fine about it, and if they’re a dick to you, take your talents somewhere else.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:09:11 pm »
+3
Thanks everyone for your advice!
I talked to my boss on Monday and I said I wanted to cut down my hours. Even though he wasn't too happy about it at first, he realised how hectic my university schedule was and cut me down to 8-14 hours per week.
Thanks again! :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 08:20:09 pm »
+2
Thanks everyone for your advice!
I talked to my boss on Monday and I said I wanted to cut down my hours. Even though he wasn't too happy about it at first, he realised how hectic my university schedule was and cut me down to 8-14 hours per week.
Thanks again! :)
Well done, bea :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️