Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:51:58 am

Author Topic: Advice  (Read 1671 times)  Share 

Cyka

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Advice
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:31:38 pm »
This year (yr12) i am currently doing 5 subjects, but am going to drop one of them as I dislike it. I have already done 2 year 12 subjects, one of them being methods. I have the option to just stick with 4 subjects (spesh, PE, English, physics), or to repeat methods and try and get a higher score. Note that my study score was 39 and I could use the extra spares to focus on getting a good spesh score.
Do ya’ll reckon I should just do 4 subjects, or redo methods on top of that? Either way, I’ll have 6 subjects going towards my ATAR.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:44:35 pm »
This year (yr12) i am currently doing 5 subjects, but am going to drop one of them as I dislike it. I have already done 2 year 12 subjects, one of them being methods. I have the option to just stick with 4 subjects (spesh, PE, English, physics), or to repeat methods and try and get a higher score. Note that my study score was 39 and I could use the extra spares to focus on getting a good spesh score.
Do ya’ll reckon I should just do 4 subjects, or redo methods on top of that? Either way, I’ll have 6 subjects going towards my ATAR.
what score were you expecting for methods +  Did you work as hard as you could for methods?

Repeating a subject, especially like methods where your score is highly variable and dependent on exam performance, is a mixed bag some improve a lot whilst others only increase by 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:48:20 pm by Sine »

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:55:21 pm »
what score were you expecting for methods +  Did you work as hard as you could for methods?

Repeating a subject, especially like methods where your score is highly variable and dependent on exam performance, is a mixed bag some improve a lot whilst others only increase by 1 or 2.
Just wondering, can a student who's expecting to get a 50 raw for methods have a bad exam day and/or get unlucky and end up with low 40s raw?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:47:48 am »
Just wondering, can a student who's expecting to get a 50 raw for methods have a bad exam day and/or get unlucky and end up with low 40s raw?
I guess so; the exam is just a snapshot in time

Cyka

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:42:40 pm »
I was expecting 45, but got screwed over by the diagram at the end of exam 1 which wasn’t at all to scale and made me second guess my answer, and missed a few MC Qs on exam 2 and couldn’t do the last few parts of the Ferris wheel question. I also worked fairly hard throughout the year.

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:25:50 pm »

Is it ever possible to repeat a subejct and get worse than you did the first time you did it?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 05:30:50 pm »
+1
I was expecting 45, but got screwed over by the diagram at the end of exam 1 which wasn’t at all to scale and made me second guess my answer, and missed a few MC Qs on exam 2 and couldn’t do the last few parts of the Ferris wheel question. I also worked fairly hard throughout the year.
yeah a lot of people messed up the last Q on exam 1. It's really up to you on whether you feel like you can get the extra 5-6 aggregate points and how much those extra points are worth to you in terms of getting into your course or just prestige.

Is it ever possible to repeat a subejct and get worse than you did the first time you did it?
Yup but VCAA will take the higher score :)

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:43:41 pm »
Is it even possible to repeat a subject once february is almost over?