Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:28:40 pm

Author Topic: JMSS entry for 2021  (Read 1875 times)  Share 

Potato :)

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
JMSS entry for 2021
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:48:12 pm »
+1
I’m in year 8 and I’m sitting the jmss exam next year, and I started this thread so that people of my year level can talk about the jmss entrance stuff and uh share info I guess. Oh and maybe some people who’ve already done the exam give some tips for us  ;)

I’m very excited/nervous to sit the exam lmao and then I realise that there are still around 8 months till we do it  :'(
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:51:34 pm by Potato :) »

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
Re: JMSS entry for 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 09:11:24 pm »
As taken from the 2019 JMSS Year 10 Entrance Exam 2019 Discussion,

JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION

« on: November 25, 2017, 09:11:38 pm »
Hey guys, I know that I have created this forum really early (I anticipate a lot. XD), but I just felt like doing it now. Anyway, welcome to the 'JMSS Year 10 Entrance Exam 2019 Discussion'! I decided to create this to help you guys prepare for your exam, which should be in early June, as I went for it this year (unfortunately I didn't get in, but I was very close). I suggest you guys preparing for the exam maybe now. Don't be like me because I didn't study for it until early May... (I didn't think I would go for it, so... Hehehe....) In case you guys are curious, the exam format goes like this:

Science Reasoning: 30 questions / 30 minutes- Apply your scientific knowledge and logic to the test. It's like verbal reasoning, but it obviously has got to do with science. It's like the ICAS test.

Numerical Reasoning: 60 questions / 30 minutes- For those who went for the selective high school entrance exam this year, it's similar to that. It has maths problems, and there are problems that require logic. 

Mathematics: 60 questions / 30 minutes- It's also very similar to the selective high school entry exam. (It's actually easier than in the other exam as you're able to work out answers quickly).

Essay 1: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- It's a science prac, but for this year, you only need to write a discussion by answering the questions. Be sure to draw the diagram, although it doesn't tell you to do that. You also need to know dependent, independent and control variables as one of the questions will ask you to mention them (I got mixed up between dependent and independent).

Essay 2: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- You're given some info to write in your essay. Try including them as many given info as possible. I think you can apply your knowledge to your essay because I did that. Usually, the topic is based on biology. For example, this year we wrote about Port Phillip Bay's water quality (I don't think I did well on it. I forgot to email JMSS for my report, so I don't know). There were facts about Port Phillip Bay, water qualities of some Victorian beaches, how Port Phillip Bay's water contamination affects other rivers / lakes / beaches etc., pollutions in Port Phillip Bay, etc..."
(This is from the 2018 test.)

This year's JMSS entrance exam was similar, with 'Essay 1' being about the role of thermal conductivity. I was recently offered a place at JMSS which I had accepted. I personally suggest improving your speed with answering questions and familiarising with Exam style questions for the exam. Overall think of  the exam as only a ticket to a select entry science school which guides your path. It's alright if you are not offered a place and there are always other pathways open to choose from.

If you have any other doubts please feel free to PM me :)
I'll soon introduce topics that will be useful to study for the entrance exam.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:29:11 pm by ^^^111^^^ »

Potato :)

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 09:19:04 pm »
Omg thanks, that’s epic  :)

Just wanted to know if there are any free practice tests for these topics online because I’ve been scouring the Internet but couldn’t find any.

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 09:20:29 pm »
Omg thanks, that’s epic  :)

Just wanted to know if there are any free practice tests for these topics online because I’ve been scouring the Internet but couldn’t find any.
Please refer to your PM.

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:25 pm »
Where can I find free practice Maths and Numerical tests for JMSS?

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »
Where can I find free practice Maths and Numerical tests for JMSS?
Hello there! As I mentioned previously please, PM me.

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 12:02:19 pm »
Ugh, make sure you know how to do the writing they are harder than you think. Especially you need to know what they want, and what’s the format... it will help a lot if you check the superior examples of the previous year
I got below average for science report and low average for science essay. Dang I’m so frustrated about that
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 05:06:17 pm »
+2
where can i find the superior essay examples?

Shxh

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 06:08:14 pm »
I’m in year 8 and I’m sitting the jmss exam next year, and I started this thread so that people of my year level can talk about the jmss entrance stuff and uh share info I guess. Oh and maybe some people who’ve already done the exam give some tips for us  ;)

I’m very excited/nervous to sit the exam lmao and then I realise that there are still around 8 months till we do it  :'(
The JMSS exam isn’t the hard bit, ITS THE INTERVIEW. It’s not like the year 8 selective test were the exam itself is hard, the interview is what stuffs people up so don’t stress too much about the test. Good luck  :)

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 04:59:20 pm »
Can anyone please send me practice tests for all the subjects.

Thankyou

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 08:21:32 pm »
Hi peeps,
I got into JMSS so hopefully, I can help with some stuff

Tips in no particular order...
1. JMSS chooses to not give much info about the exams. You can purchase some practice tests on the EduTest website when you register for the exam next year
2. The writing is fairly easy. There are 2 pieces - a prac report (for me it was just a discussion) and an essay on a topic. Don't stress out, they give you all the information you need but for the essay you can include knowledge you already have.
3. I personally didn't study for the JMSS test because I felt it would be a waste of time to study all these concepts that would most likely not appear in the exam. What surprised me the most was the science reasoning test - it's like ICAS science, it mainly tests your skills on analysing and interpreting data. If you really want to study, I definitely definitely recommend revising math up to end of Year 9 level and possibly complete some logic puzzles
4. The interview is the hardest part. Just remember to breathe and be prepared to do and answer anything. You are put into a group of around 5 and you do a whole bunch of group activities together. Be social and talk a lot, but not too much to the point where what you're saying is useless and others won't get a turn because you're talking too much. Don't stress about it!
5. It can be quite crazy and scary sitting an exam in a huge room with 800 other competitors but just focus on yourself, and mentally prepare yourself the night before and the morning of the exam.
6. My test started at 8:30 am so it's pretty early - make sure you get a night of good sleep, eat a hearty breakfast and relax! After the exam finishes before 1 pm, you should take time to relax. I chose to relax by taking a *relaxing* train ride home hehe but you do you.
7. You usually get the interview offer around late July and interviews are held early-mid August. You'll receive your outcome email in early September. The emails are sent to the one listed on EduTest, so most likely your parent's email. The waiting is painful and agonising so just try not to think about it too much.

If you did the selective entry tests or SEAL, scholarship tests before the JMSS one, you'd know the format of the test and you'd also know that the timing of the test is quite quick. When the time allowed for each test means you'll be writing up to the last second, it makes the 3 hours go by quicker

Tackle the exam first and if you get an interview offer, then worry about the interview.

The school itself
In my opinion, you will enjoy JMSS heappppsss more if you have a genuine interest in STEM as all the electives are all STEM-related and a lot more technical than the ones at your current school. You should also be an avid learner

I wish you all the best of luck and hope to see some of you in 2021!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha