Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:20:47 pm

Author Topic: HSC Maths Advanced - 25/10/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 8455 times)

THSCStudyOnly

• Adventurer
No idea, would 85 be too high for a B6 cutoff?
Honestly i'm thinking around low 80s....although someone more experienced should comment

abdulrahmanb8

• Adventurer
Thanks for the solutions!
 fun_jirachi I think you may have made an error for Q12 Ciii and Q 12 d

Q12 C iii)
Shouldn't it be 54 days, subbing this into L(t) gives 119 leaves, whereas subbing 55 days gives 91 leaves

EDIT: Is this because there is 100 trees at 54.3 days. Thus it needs to be day 55 for there to be less than 100 leaves. If so I wrote 54 in the exam (I had the decimal places above, do you think I will lose a mark?). Although there aren't 100 leaves for either 54 or 55 so shouldn't it have been left as a decimal?

Q 12d
The answer should be (3/2)In(10)
For 12Ciii. I also left my answer as 54.29, in brackets I wrote (about 54 days later). The question just asked for what value of t is there 100 leaves, not on which day it become a 100 so I reckon what we have done is correct.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
Thanks for the solutions!
 fun_jirachi I think you may have made an error for Q12 Ciii and Q 12 d

Q12 C iii)
Shouldn't it be 54 days, subbing this into L(t) gives 119 leaves, whereas subbing 55 days gives 91 leaves

EDIT: Is this because there is 100 trees at 54.3 days. Thus it needs to be day 55 for there to be less than 100 leaves. If so I wrote 54 in the exam (I had the decimal places above, do you think I will lose a mark?). Although there aren't 100 leaves for either 54 or 55 so shouldn't it have been left as a decimal?

Q 12d
The answer should be (3/2)In(10)

Yep, you’re right for 12d): somehow read that as just ln|x+1| for some reason. I’ll make the correction when I’m more free.

As for 12c, it is the 55th day. Consider if we were in the over 6.5 of a cricket match or something; it’s denoted and is the seventh over.

Thanks for pointing these out! 🙂
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

abdulrahmanb8

• Adventurer
Yep, you’re right for 12d): somehow read that as just ln|x+1| for some reason. I’ll make the correction when I’m more free.

As for 12c, it is the 55th day. Consider if we were in the over 6.5 of a cricket match or something; it’s denoted and is the seventh over.

Thanks for pointing these out!
It is the 55th day, agreed. But the question Just says "find the value of t for which there are 100 leaves", not on which day it becomes 100

THSCStudyOnly

• Adventurer
Even then I was told by my teachers and tutors to round to the nearest whole number. i.e. 54
So IDK, tbh as long as you have the decimal answer I think they would be leniant.

abdulrahmanb8

• Adventurer
Even then I was told by my teachers and tutors to round to the nearest whole number. i.e. 54
So IDK, tbh as long as you have the decimal answer I think they would be leniant.
Yeah. Another tutoring company uploaded their solutions and they also wrote 54 days (nearest whole number), so we are good I'm pretty sure

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
So what do you guys think the band 6 cut off will be?
No idea, would 85 be too high for a B6 cutoff?
Honestly i'm thinking around low 80s....although someone more experienced should comment
It wasn’t an overly difficult paper in my opinion. But after having done the questions I do believe there are some noteworthy challenging ones. I’d be inclined to say 82-84?

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
It wasn’t an overly difficult paper in my opinion. But after having done the questions I do believe there are some noteworthy challenging ones. I’d be inclined to say 82-84?

How does it compare with 2018? I also agree, the paper was definitely doable, albeit a bit tricky.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
How does it compare with 2018? I also agree, the paper was definitely doable, albeit a bit tricky.
Can't say for sure; I never actually did solutions to the 2018 paper :/

2018 probably had the harder finance question, but I mean it was 16c that year whereas it was 16a this year.

Your 16c doesn't look hard conceptually I think. But it's quite interesting because you don't usually see all the basic concepts get bundled into one single question like that.
Simpson's rule isn't hard though in my opinion; just stupidly long. But to be fair, some 2U students might've been lost at how to handle the motion part of that question, seeing as though not everyone seems to understand how to use definite integrals.

But at the same time, your Q15 looked harder than the 2018 Q15.

Husky

• Adventurer
Hey I just have a quick question regarding the hsc exam marks. Are the marks we receive the aligned marks? As in the ones where our marks are boosted up based off of the band cut offs or does that type of scaling happen in the atar mark?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
Hey I just have a quick question regarding the hsc exam marks. Are the marks we receive the aligned marks? As in the ones where our marks are boosted up based off of the band cut offs or does that type of scaling happen in the atar mark?
You're reported an aligned mark.

You don't get to see your raw mark by default. Raw marks need to be purchased off NESA.

Husky

• Adventurer
You're reported an aligned mark.

You don't get to see your raw mark by default. Raw marks need to be purchased off NESA.

Ah okay makes sense, thank you for the quick response. Is there any way of finding out what the band cut offs were for previous years?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
Ah okay makes sense, thank you for the quick response. Is there any way of finding out what the band cut offs were for previous years?
NESA never publicly discloses this information to my knowledge. Usually people use the raw marks database to infer where the cut-off would most likely be.

(Note: Marks in the raw marks database are typically donated by past students who did buy their marks.)

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
Re: HSC Maths Advanced - 25/10/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 03:52:07 pm »
Hi, would you mind helping me out a little bit with my maths assessment?

I need to do a survey just one quick question for maths

the link to the survey is here: https://forms.gle/Vt4VJZLtZK8SSxS1A

Please please help me out I need around 100 responses as a requirement for this assessment,

Thanks so much