Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:34:11 pm

Author Topic: I'll be a teacher next year and I need your advice  (Read 14058 times)  Share 

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: I'll be a teacher next year and I need your advice
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:40 pm »
+5

This year I taught VCE Maths for the first time and textbook should really be the bare minimum. I created CAS guides and notes for my students in addition to worked examples, worksheets etc. so like, there is so much you as a teacher can do to embed creativity

This. This is fantastic. Keep doing this :)
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 11:36:47 pm »
+3
Most has already been said, but throwing it here anyway...

My favourite teachers have been a massive mix.
In the middle years (9), it was Maths. My math teacher was a younger dude, absolute wizard at the subject. As I was in the higher echelon's for that year, I had a lot of contact with him, and he spent a lot of time on me and the other higher students. In doing this, he made sure not to neglect the lower students, (except one, who was different) and our whole class scored their highest scores in that years math (mean of 89%)
Digression
He had the best way of explaining stuff...
For linear equations like \(y=3x+5\)...
So, a hostage is in a bunker. The 5 is the number of guards outside. You need to take them out first with a \(-\)...
Then, you get into the bunker and get rid of the 3 in there with a bit of division...
Tl;dr... Be unique and creative as much as possible, and try to get everyone in the class involved...

Through VCE it was Physics and English.
Physics - The teach was older, and had really high expectations, but had the lowest discipline ever.
Every class had a pun attached, relevant to the unit we were learning... #SchrodingerCatMeme
Everything was so chilled that we felt compelled to do well to pay her back... :D
Tl:dr... Again, unique. The dad joke thing... (unless that isn't you :-\ )

English - The ultimate teacher. Approachable when you needed it, basically a mother to the class, but absolutely rigid discipline if we stuffed up.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

geek123456

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 06:32:49 pm »
+6
There are two teachers that till this day I look upto..One my Chemistry teacher in year eight(yes you do chemistry as a subject overseas in year eight  8) ) and another my Physics teacher in year ten...
Both had the following similar characteristics:

1.Highly passionate about their subjects...like you could feel the chemistry and physicsy vibes radiating from them and the sparkle in their eyes when they started the lesson
2.They answer your questions despite MOST of them being out of scope and irrelevant to what you are studying
3.Highly engaging lessons, with minimum textbook use...for example our chemistry teacher used flashcards for concept revision and used them as an exit pass at the end of every lesson...
4.Believe it or not KAHOOT actually helps learning...before our physics sac we used to have kahoot revisions which were soo fun that the entire class studied one week in advance just to make it to the leaderboard ;D
5.Easily approachable and willing to spend time outside of class...maybe this is a bit too much but our chemistry teacher recorded a video of her teaching an interactive lesson EVERY SINGLE time she was away...our crts used to play them for us just so we could keep up to date with our lessons
6.Linking concepts to scenarios in real life instead of encouraging route learned definitions...

Hope this helps  :) Best of luck!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:57:15 pm by geek123456 »

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 10:38:06 pm »
+10
I have seen a lot of comments about maintaining discipline but also being approachable and encouraging, which I absolutely agree with. I just wanted to tell you about my young geography teacher, which may help you achieve this.

She only started teaching us at the beginning of year 12 (mostly we have the same teacher for year 11 and 12) taking over from our teacher who went on maternity leave. My whole class remembers the first time she walked into the class and immediately started not quite yelling at people, but being extremely stern, and laid out her strict expectations. I'll admit that we all hated her for those first few lessons.

But after that she gradually started telling us things about her own life and encouraging the people who were struggling more, and we all started to relax around her. She mixed up our lessons so we might watch a documentary, then discuss a topic, then she would let us use earphones while doing a worksheet. By the end of the term we all respected her so much, and not only that but my class was the most tight knit of any of my hsc classes. She was really supportive, and none of us wanted to let her down. There was one boy who in another one of my classes was unmotivated and didn't complete most of the work, but in this class he at least completed most of his homework and stayed back after school one time to talk about a worksheet he was struggling with. i think one of the things that made this happen was that she would be proud of any achievements no matter how small, like "hey at least you completed these few questions, next time lets aim for the whole thing".

I think she nailed it in that she immediately showed that we couldn't muck up around her, but then built up a huge respect with our whole class. She was one of my all time favourite teachers, even though I hated her for those first few lessons.

Hope this is helpful, good luck! Even just from the fact that you asked us for advice, I think you will be an amazing teacher!
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

GuZz

• Trendsetter
  • Socially and Ethically responsible.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 08:48:31 pm »
+5
From personal experience, the 'best' teachers are not always the smartest or the most experienced...

'Good' teachers are those that are passionate about the subject and have clearly invested their time and thinking into planning lessons and engaging students, but most importantly, have developed a passion for the students themselves.

If you are friendly, approachable and connect with students on a personal level, they are likely (or at least in my case) to become more passionate about the subject, increasing motivation and subsequent performance.

Ultimately, your results in high school are not the be all and end all, a lot of what you learn is about yourself, your passions and the relationships you develop with others, if you create an environment that is developing students as people, as opposed to a number, I am sure you will be successful.
“If you define yourself by your power to take life, your desire to dominate, to possess, then you have nothing.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi

VCE
2017: Business Management [39]
2018: Biology [29], English [39], Further Maths [36], Legal Studies [35], Religion & Society [33]
ATAR = 84.10
2019 - UoM Bachelor of Arts

TheBigC

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2018, 09:07:03 pm »
+3
Personally, I believe that you have already had a fantastic start in requesting aid from current or recent students (demonstrates a real passion to be the best you can be). In my own experiences, the upmost frustrating and deleterious thing a teacher can do is become autocratic, condescending and predicate their evidence in appeal to authority. This has happened to me countless times and is such a painful experience. When a student asks for help and you are unsure, tell them you do not know and then (if possible) work up together from first principles and then come back to the student with a solid answer, never suggest that you know something when you do not. Also, if a student requests material from outside of the course (i.e. asks a deep question), attempt to answer the question without brushing off the student, if this is not possible, provide extension material. My favourite teachers always went above and beyond.

Good luck.

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 06:02:03 pm »
+6
(There was a link to this in the AN newsletter, hence this late post  :) )

Apart from my previous post, I was thinking specifically for english. One thing I definitely preferred was discussing texts and concepts rather than being lectured by the teacher or just writing notes. I think it is also important to be able to practice writing essays in class and recieve feedback as we go, which seems like a given, but not all the teachers I've had have actually allowed enough time for this.

I had different teachers for year 11 and 12, with fairly different teaching styles, and I liked and disliked aspects of each. With my year 11 teacher we did have some class discussions (about the text as a whole, as well as specific quotes/scenes) which I thought was helpful, however often it was just the top english kids doing all the talking. I don't know how to avoid this, because it is really hard to force people to participate in english because it is so conceptual and subjective, but sometimes hearing the sophisticated ideas of other people made me doubt my own ideas. One thing I didn't like about this teacher was that she didn't leave time for practicing essays until quite late in the unit, then suddenly expected top notch essay, which made me nervous about showing her my work.

My year 12 teacher gave us plenty of time to practice writing and gave us time to gradually develop our ideas, which I liked as someone who can't write a great essay first go. However we often had to copy notes on our text, which meant a lot of stuff didn't stick with me at all.

I think english is hard because everyone learns so differently and has different understandings, but these are some things that did and didn't work for me. Good luck, hope this helps.
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »
+8
Everything has basically been said here :)

I just wanted to pop in to ask if you'd be making a journal when this happens? Even if it were 1 every 6 months, it would be so valuable and inspiring for me to read.

No biggie if not, just thought that asking would be nice
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 09:59:47 pm »
+13
Been reading through this thread again... I start school in less than three weeks!

Would love more feedback from anyone out there with some insights!!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 12:34:25 pm »
+13
Been reading through this thread again... I start school in less than three weeks!

Would love more feedback from anyone out there with some insights!!

Nearly forgot to post in this thread but I'll post now!

Out of my 13 years of primary and secondary education, I would have to say that my Visual Arts teachers from Years 8/9 to 12 were the best ones I've had and here's why. I'll specifically talk about one teacher- I'll call her Susan in this thread. To add context, I've had Susan for Year 8 to 12 (my other teacher I had from Year 9 to 12) and she's the only teacher at my school I've had every year. Not even my homeroom teacher was consistent.

Susan wasn't just a teacher- she was a mentor, a friend and a leader. Not exactly a mother but more like an aunt- you guys aren't 100% related but she put in so much effort that she felt like she was your mother. She always had our backs in Visual Arts and even in our personal lives.

What made Susan stand out from the rest of my teachers- was her innate passion for art. It is so damn important for a teacher to be passionate about their subject/s because that will certainly brush onto the students and they will be more motivated to work harder and try their best. Susan just knew every bit and piece of her art knowledge. Even when she had presentations in class- most teachers would have a huge chunk of text on the screen. Susan didn't- she just had a picture of the artwork on screen and the information would just come out of her mouth. Just like that. No text reference. That's because she really knew her shit and had a clear passion for it. The way she articulated the information was so easy to understand and as mentioned- that's because she really knew her shit therefore making it easier for her to explain everything and was ready to answer any question from us.

personal anecdote break lol
I was planning to drop Visual Arts at the end of Year 8 (since in Year 9 VA was only available as an elective). My stubbornness refused to know why a post modern work had so much meaning. I thought it was complete bullshit. I loved the practical side of Visual Arts but hated the theoretical part. I wanted to like the theory part but just didn't know how. The day of when our Year 9 elective preferences were due at the end of the day, we had Visual Arts before lunch time. At this point in time, I had History Elective and French as my preferences. I really wanted to give art theory another chance because I knew how much it would suck if I just let go of art completely because I hated theory. I sat there in class and let my stubbornness leave my body and try to appreciate art theory. Susan talked about this post-modern artwork. I thought 'bloody bullshit'. But I let myself be open minded during that class. (For context look up the works of Jeanne Claude and Christo on google or something). Down below is an excerpt from my thank you letter to Susan the day of my graduation in 2017.

I enjoyed Year 8 prac but HATED theory. I remember selecting my electives for Year 9 and didn’t even think about continuing Visual Arts because that’s how much I loathed theory. I wasn’t as good as the other girls in my class and I literally couldn’t comprehend contemporary art at all. But then a miracle lesson happened. The works of Christo and Jeanne Claude blew my mind. At first when you first showed their works, I frankly thought they were shit. Like complete shit. Then you began describing the work. Fabric. Blanket. Cover. Then you began elaborating more. All the artists do is cover specific landscapes. And of course you gave the answer to the question I had in my head; why? The artists gives us an opportunity to view the world in a different way through art. And then I knew I had to continue Visual Arts in Year 9. This is the best decision I have ever made in my life.

And I agree- it was the best decision I have ever made. As soon as the class ended, I ran back to the student office and immediately changed my elective preference to Visual Arts. Her passionate for the arts has influenced me so much that it consistently became my best subject throughout high school. You might think- art is an easy subject. And to that I say- bloody bullshit. It's not. The fact that my decision to swap electives at the last minute was yes- spontaneous but in a good way. I now love art theory (to the point where I prefer it more than prac actually). I now even study a creative arts degree for my tertiary studies. I can't imagine doing some commerce or engineering degree- so to that I am forever grateful for that one art theory class back in Year 8 (2013) that's changed my life. Thank you Susan.

Another thing- there's a difference between a good teacher and a GREAT teacher. A good teacher would simply- mark your practice essays, stay after class for a bit to explain something further, taught really well. A teacher could stop there. But no- they can always move up one level and become a GREAT teacher. A great teacher is one who knows their students well enough to cater to their personal and academic needs. A great teacher is one who will approach you one on one rather than generalising the entire class. A great teacher is one who will treat you like a friend rather than a student apart of their job.

Susan took her time throughout the year to know our needs and personalised/customised some artists and art theory information that were beneficial to our art works (as part of our major work- ongoing artwork that we had to consistently work on throughout year 12). She knew the perfect artists and the perfect mediums for us to use. Susan would consistently make jokes and roast us to break that teacher/student boundary and turn it into a mentor/mentee and friend/friend relationship. I even remember we got sent an email from Susan and our art teacher, the day before our HSC arts exam. Most of my teachers for my other subjects sent out general 'good luck' emails. That was nice of them but it was just Susan and our other art teacher personalised our good luck email with advice specific for everyone. To add context, I will add below what they wrote down (I will put Student # instead of their names for the sake of my classmates privacy)

Student #1: Don't be late
Bea: Stop worrying
Student #2: Stop worrying
Student #3: check the time of your exam
Student #4: keep those adjectives flowing
Student #5: Don't use as many adjectives
Student #6: another few marks in that Section 2 and you'll cream it
Student #7: look closely at the question
Student #8: you've been improving so much, make this your best
Student #9: write BIGGER
Student #10: keep relating back to the question

Even though their individual advice for everyone in the class was short and sweet- but the fact that they gave us advice that catered specifically for each and everyone of us, shows that they really knew us.

It sucks that Susan has decided to leave my school this year because that would mean that the current Year 12 students and the years below would never experience her amazingness. I believe it's important for every student to experience what I had experience because teachers aren't just teachers- they're leaders and role models. What they say and teach can change someone's life. They have this ridiculous amount of power to influence the next generation of leaders and it's important to use that for the better.

TL;DR Have a clear passion and know your students personally (if possible!) and know that you are invested in their future. Don't just look at your job as a teacher as just a job. Look at it being the leader for this generation and inspiring the leaders of our future.

(apologies if there are any typos!)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:16 pm »
+2
Nearly forgot to post in this thread but I'll post now!

Out of my 13 years of primary and secondary education, I would have to say that my Visual Arts teachers from Years 8/9 to 12 were the best ones I've had and here's why. I'll specifically talk about one teacher- I'll call her Susan in this thread. To add context, I've had Susan for Year 8 to 12 (my other teacher I had from Year 9 to 12) and she's the only teacher at my school I've had every year. Not even my homeroom teacher was consistent.

Susan wasn't just a teacher- she was a mentor, a friend and a leader. Not exactly a mother but more like an aunt- you guys aren't 100% related but she put in so much effort that she felt like she was your mother. She always had our backs in Visual Arts and even in our personal lives.

What made Susan stand out from the rest of my teachers- was her innate passion for art. It is so damn important for a teacher to be passionate about their subject/s because that will certainly brush onto the students and they will be more motivated to work harder and try their best. Susan just knew every bit and piece of her art knowledge. Even when she had presentations in class- most teachers would have a huge chunk of text on the screen. Susan didn't- she just had a picture of the artwork on screen and the information would just come out of her mouth. Just like that. No text reference. That's because she really knew her shit and had a clear passion for it. The way she articulated the information was so easy to understand and as mentioned- that's because she really knew her shit therefore making it easier for her to explain everything and was ready to answer any question from us.

personal anecdote break lol
I was planning to drop Visual Arts at the end of Year 8 (since in Year 9 VA was only available as an elective). My stubbornness refused to know why a post modern work had so much meaning. I thought it was complete bullshit. I loved the practical side of Visual Arts but hated the theoretical part. I wanted to like the theory part but just didn't know how. The day of when our Year 9 elective preferences were due at the end of the day, we had Visual Arts before lunch time. At this point in time, I had History Elective and French as my preferences. I really wanted to give art theory another chance because I knew how much it would suck if I just let go of art completely because I hated theory. I sat there in class and let my stubbornness leave my body and try to appreciate art theory. Susan talked about this post-modern artwork. I thought 'bloody bullshit'. But I let myself be open minded during that class. (For context look up the works of Jeanne Claude and Christo on google or something). Down below is an excerpt from my thank you letter to Susan the day of my graduation in 2017.

And I agree- it was the best decision I have ever made. As soon as the class ended, I ran back to the student office and immediately changed my elective preference to Visual Arts. Her passionate for the arts has influenced me so much that it consistently became my best subject throughout high school. You might think- art is an easy subject. And to that I say- bloody bullshit. It's not. The fact that my decision to swap electives at the last minute was yes- spontaneous but in a good way. I now love art theory (to the point where I prefer it more than prac actually). I now even study a creative arts degree for my tertiary studies. I can't imagine doing some commerce or engineering degree- so to that I am forever grateful for that one art theory class back in Year 8 (2013) that's changed my life. Thank you Susan.

Another thing- there's a difference between a good teacher and a GREAT teacher. A good teacher would simply- mark your practice essays, stay after class for a bit to explain something further, taught really well. A teacher could stop there. But no- they can always move up one level and become a GREAT teacher. A great teacher is one who knows their students well enough to cater to their personal and academic needs. A great teacher is one who will approach you one on one rather than generalising the entire class. A great teacher is one who will treat you like a friend rather than a student apart of their job.

Susan took her time throughout the year to know our needs and personalised/customised some artists and art theory information that were beneficial to our art works (as part of our major work- ongoing artwork that we had to consistently work on throughout year 12). She knew the perfect artists and the perfect mediums for us to use. Susan would consistently make jokes and roast us to break that teacher/student boundary and turn it into a mentor/mentee and friend/friend relationship. I even remember we got sent an email from Susan and our art teacher, the day before our HSC arts exam. Most of my teachers for my other subjects sent out general 'good luck' emails. That was nice of them but it was just Susan and our other art teacher personalised our good luck email with advice specific for everyone. To add context, I will add below what they wrote down (I will put Student # instead of their names for the sake of my classmates privacy)

Even though their individual advice for everyone in the class was short and sweet- but the fact that they gave us advice that catered specifically for each and everyone of us, shows that they really knew us.

It sucks that Susan has decided to leave my school this year because that would mean that the current Year 12 students and the years below would never experience her amazingness. I believe it's important for every student to experience what I had experience because teachers aren't just teachers- they're leaders and role models. What they say and teach can change someone's life. They have this ridiculous amount of power to influence the next generation of leaders and it's important to use that for the better.

TL;DR Have a clear passion and know your students personally (if possible!) and know that you are invested in their future. Don't just look at your job as a teacher as just a job. Look at it being the leader for this generation and inspiring the leaders of our future.

(apologies if there are any typos!)
Incredible, ty

addict

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 08:21:03 pm »
+5
The fact that you're taking the time to go online and ask for advice already inclines me to think that you will be a very responsible teacher. Good on you! I guess a very important thing a good teacher does is making sure that every single person in the class feels comfortable and able to learn in their class. They are patient and understand that not everyone learns at the same pace. Over the years, I've been in classes (not necessarily at day school) where I felt like I was the slowest student alive and could understand nothing despite trying my very hardest, as if the teacher was talking in Latin. I've also been in classes where I felt so complacent that I could just mess around for the 4 hours a week I'm there for. Needless to say, I learnt nothing in those classes. While I tried to engage myself in these classes as best as I can, sometimes it does get draining. I guess what I'm suggesting is that, if there are student who don't seem as engaged as they should be, please don't be too quick to judge them or jump to conclusions. From my personal experience, nothing makes it worse for a struggling student who already feels worthless and inadequate than to have to deal with a teacher who appears to be personally targeting them, whether it be intentional or not from the teacher's end. Instead, it would be better for the teacher to take the time to talk to these disengaged students, offer the high flyers some extension material to work on and encourage the struggling kids to open up and ask more questions. We as students really do see everything you do for us and are very grateful when you take the time to find common understanding with us.
2017: Mathematical Methods [48] | Chinese (SLA) [41]
2018: English (EAL) [50] | Chemistry [50] | Physics [50] | Specialist Mathematics [48]
ATAR: 99.95
UMAT: 100
2018 Australian Physics Olympiad Summer School participant

2019: BMedSci/MD @ Monash
Looking to tutor in 2019!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 09:03:49 pm »
+11
Hows teaching been going so far? :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 07:03:12 pm »
+9
Hows teaching been going so far? :)
Pretty fantastically! I'm seriously loving it. It's exhausting... I can barely stop myself falling asleep right now, I've been lying in bed since I got home hahaha. But it's just brilliant. I feel motivated knowing the importance of the work and my students have been surprisingly fantastic. I have a Year 11 VCE English class, the Year 10 advanced English class, a Year 11 VCAL literacy class, and I'm helping out a group of year 12s after school once a week, so that's exciting, too.

Thanks so much to everyone who chimed in to this thread... it was really helpful for me to reflect on your experiences, and they helped me reflect on the type of teacher I wanted to be!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:27:39 pm by brenden »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »
You are the best!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.