Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:31:01 am

Author Topic: Do y'all podcast?  (Read 13327 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Do y'all podcast?
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »
+13
I've started podcasting a fair bit in the last year or so. Really enjoy it, particularly whilst in transit.

My main podcasts:
* Hamish & Andy. Funny guys, low-key, don't need to concentrate fully.
* 99% Invisible. Really like this one. Basically, the podcasts take you through seemingly random topics, such as the invention of the stethoscope, or waste collection in Taiwan. Definitely recommend it - it's produced extraordinarily well IMO.
* Lingthusiasm. Linguistics podcast.
* The Dees Podcast. A podcast surrounding the Melbourne Football Club. Has been painful recently, but an enjoyable podcast.
* The Grade Cricketer. I don't know if anybody here has played grade cricket, but if you have, fuck - definitely listen to this. Perfectly encapsulates the grade cricket culture. Very funny.

Any recommendations? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
Re: Do y'all podcast?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »
+4
STORY CLUB is my favee. It's basically a podcast of people telling stories about parts of their lives, in an often humorous/self-deprecating light. There are some intense stories, but there are really light-hearted ones in there too.

I also listen pretentiously to BBC 4's In our Time. Sometimes, the discussion can be good. And I say sometimes, with a huge emphasis on its varying qualities ;) The discussion can sometimes dwindle and not get into the heart of things which I believe are more important than some things which they focus unreasonably for like 20 mins lol. But it's nonetheless educational. And I love how crazy-uncle-ish the host can be sometimes haha. He's just such a fun/idiosyncratic character to listen to.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:52:53 pm by peterpiper »
2017: VCE COMPLETED

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:39 pm »
+5
- Hamish & Andy also :D
- For Vuck's Sake - a podcast run by some Melbourne Victory fans.
- Santo Sam and Ed's Total Football - another soccer one, but Santo, Sam & Ed look at results and just generally funny stuff in the world of soccer, not a specific league. Truly hilarious, easily one of my favourite podcasts, but probably not so funny if you don't follow soccer haha.
- No Such Thing As A Fish - basically the presenters (who I believe are the researches of facts in QI) present their favourite fact for the week, then they go off on a discussion of details surrounding the fact, add in extra info and the like and usually end up quite off topic. Very entertaining.

I tried Dan Carlin's Hardcore History but made the mistake of doing so when I was still waking up from the anaesthetic after my hip surgery so I really don't remember if I enjoyed it or not...
Also have tried Welcome to Night Vale, but didn't enjoy it that much.
Have listened to Wilosophy with Wil Anderson in the past, enjoyed parts but I wasn't hooked. Likewise with Dr Karl's podcast - some stuff is really good, other stuff, not so much.

The big one on my "to listen" list is Under the Skin by Russell Brand, which I'm really keen to listen to (when I get around to it) :)

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 06:38:35 pm »
+5
Couple of my favourites...
1. Coffee Break - use this for learning German/Spanish, but I'm pretty sure that they do plenty other languages such as Italian and French.

2. Brain Matters. These are neuroscience podcasts & are really great. Essentially involves 2 grad students from the University of Texas at Austin bringing in a neuroscientist to discuss the research that they do and how they came to the work that they do. Would recommend to anyone that's fascinated by the brain.

+ miscellaneous German podcasts for listening practice, would also recommend listening to S-Town if you haven't already.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 06:50:56 pm »
+6
I too listen to In Our Time, mainly due to a teacher I had's influence. ;D

I've had a skim through all the other ones mentioned and I'll check them out! ^_^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 06:57:53 pm »
+13
Douchy's Biology Podcasts when I was in year 11 doing 3/4 Biology.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 07:53:38 pm »
+5
Really love podcasts, here are my favourites. If you've never tried them, at least give them a go.

=======================================
How stuff works podcasts (Stuff you should know, Stuff they don't want you to know, Car Stuff, etc): Most of you probably know this site from its explainer articles but recently podcasts have become their main business by far.

Stuff you should know is probably one of the top #10 most popular podcasts in the world. Basicallly its two guys who act like friends explain every kind of topic, its very bantery but interesting.

Stuff they dont want you to know is a conspiracy type podcast but definitely from a skeptical angle. Stuff to blow your mind is also explaining general topics but much more high brow and intellectual with a strong scientific focus. CarStuff explains itself.

They all have very different hosts and feels. However, it was basically stuff you should know that got me really deep into podcasting. I would recommend it 100% for a first dive into podcasting.

The Joe Rogan experience very long usually and fairly random. He's a MMA commentator but his podcast is very interesting and quite often non-MMA based. He talks with his guests about whatever they like. I recommend the episodes with Shane Smith (founder of VICE) and Alex Jones (conspiracy theorist, this episode gets insane, like lizard people insane), both very entertaining.

No such thing as a fish, from the research team behind QI. This one is from the UK (so that kind of humor), they each discuss an interesting fact of the week (usually 4 people and thus 4 facts) but in very humorous ways, very hilarious in a British kind of way.

Movie Fights. Probably my current favourite. They have a bunch of people fight over cinema hypotheticals like "Improve a Movie By Adding Predator!"/"Most traumatizing kids movie?"/"Best fake movie in a movie?"/"Cast A Live-Action Minions Movie"/etc. It's absolutely hilarious and full of references.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:10:14 pm »
+4
Currently my list is
Freakonomics: Although recently the quality of them has gone downhill in terms of content, I still love learning about different things like visual effects industry and also the "Economics of Sleep" and more subjects you don't really think about.

Tim Ferriss Podcast : Same as Freak, recently content has been going pear-shaped. That being said I still love the interviews he has done, some of my favorites include Maria Sharapova; really interesting, she is a huge fan of tea and scented candles, Jocko Willink: "Discipline equals Freedom", Debbie Millman: "The 10 year plan for a remarkable life". If you ever want to learn about habits of world-class performers this is the show for you.

Jocko Podcast : I don't listen to this often as I need to be in a certain mood for it. But I love Jocko's voice and especially interviews with fellow soldiers. He gets insights that only he can and asks questions that only a solider would ask.

College Info Geek Podcast : I love Thomas' content now that I'm in university, but it is really engaging, but still retains a lot of educational value.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 07:49:30 pm »
I've actually never listened to a podcast voluntarily! Might get into it though, these recommendations look inviting. :)
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 09:42:12 am »
+4
If you like Stephen Fry, "Stephen Fry's Great Leap Years" is a great listen!

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 07:14:51 pm »
Douchy's Biology Podcasts when I was in year 11 doing 3/4 Biology.
I was listening to one last week for the fun of it - definitely the best VCE podcast (pre-atarnotes?)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 08:56:44 pm »
Have started listening to podcasts this year, so glad this has been resurrected!

Talking Tigers: Richmond FC's podcast. Absolute quality; Matthe Richardson does a really good job.

The Law Report: ABC's law report. Really interesting show where they talk about legal topics of the week. Usually not particularly technical (otherwise I wouldn't be listening to it). As an example, they're talking about the fact that salons are training hairdressers to respond to ?domestic violence this week and have previously talked about the opioid crisis in the US, extraditions, space law and the overuse of antipsychotics in RACFs.

Betoota Advocate: yep, that's right, they have a podcast! They tend to do interviews with people every week. They've had Osher, Hamish Blake, Lachlan Harris, Anne Aly and Glen Druery (that I've listened to so far!). Not as funny as the paper, but good interviews.

Evidence Based medicine Podcast: presenter is kind of weird, but he's really coming into his own. Probably focuses too much on individual trials, but like that he's talking about the evidence for stuff!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 03:53:33 pm »
+3
Well, I'm only about five years late lol. I've recently finished Serial. I've also got through all of Undisclosed (the follow-up podcast), and am now 70 pages or so into Adnan's Story. Very interesting.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 07:03:07 pm »
Just finished the Teacher's Pet. Need to find another podcast series to listen to!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 07:05:14 pm »
Just finished the Teacher's Pet. Need to find another podcast series to listen to!

Have you listened to Serial?