Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:40:10 pm

Author Topic: Solving a Rubik's Cube :D  (Read 6360 times)  Share 

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: Solving a Rubik's Cube :D
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 03:38:48 pm »
+1
Hey guys  :D just a new user here who loves to cube. I've got 2x2x2, 3x3x3, and 4x4x4, and my PB for 3x3x3 is 00:28.87 (though I got really lucky, my average is usually around 40secs). I've never properly timed myself on the 2x2, but my best time for 4x4 is nearly 6 minutes. I haven't solved a 4x4 in a while though so I've probably slipped since then  ;D

My collection:

2x2x2
- My only 2x2x2 cube is the rubik's brand which I got years ago, but I'm hoping to add a 2x2 speedcube to my collection soon.

3x3x3
- MoYu AoLong V2
- MoYu mini AoLong (55mm)
- MoYu WeiLong GTS V2 (personal favourite)
- Guo Guan Yuexiao
- Gans 356s V2 (which I can't use anymore cos I LOST A CORNER PIECE)
- I also stupidly got the Rubik's brand 'speedcube' without reading any reviews, thinking it would work like an actual speedcube. It didn't.

4x4x4
- MoYu Aosu (which I bought after seeing Feliks Zemdegs's 21.54 solve with the same cube)

I haven't been cubing in a while since year 12 started and my mum confiscated all my rubiks cubes  :'(
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »
^I've considered a mini cube in the past but have never bought one. How does it feel in the hand?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 04:45:36 pm »
+2
^I've considered a mini cube in the past but have never bought one. How does it feel in the hand?

To be honest, not too different from a normal 57mm cube. I remember it wasn't as smooth as my normal sized AoLong when I first got it, but it became much smoother after a while (or I got used to it). I got one of my fastest times (not pb) with the mini cube, so it definitely works just as well. I guess most people use mini cubes for one handed solves, but last time I tried one handed I failed horribly...

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 04:49:18 pm »
To be honest, not too different from a normal 57mm cube. I remember it wasn't as smooth as my normal sized AoLong when I first got it, but it became much smoother after a while (or I got used to it). I got one of my fastest times (not pb) with the mini cube, so it definitely works just as well. I guess most people use mini cubes for one handed solves, but last time I tried one handed I failed horribly...

Yeah, I've never even come close to being able to solve one-handed haha. I honestly don't even understand how it can be done.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »
+3
Yeah, I've never even come close to being able to solve one-handed haha. I honestly don't even understand how it can be done.

Yeah, and it's not just moving the pieces that can be a problem, I'm so used with doing the algorithms (with two hands) from muscle memory and one handed solves completely mess it up.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:12 pm »
+1
Oh man this brings back memories. Was a cubing addict a few years ago and got some PBs in the 10-13 second mark (honestly can’t remember) with an average around 17 or something.

It’s surprisingly easy and fun and really isn’t as hard as some people think it is! You certainly don’t need a 200 IQ to solve them :P
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

rithvikc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 06:40:09 pm »
+2

Most of the two handed algorithms are composed of R and U turns. The easiest way to approach one handed solving would be to use your left hand pinky and index to emulate these algorithms.
Just start by practicing the 'Sexy move' (R U R' U') using this fingering and it will eventually feel intuitive. Of course this is a huge ask, but if I were you I would get into such habits early on.

On the topic of cube sizes, it doesn't really matter to be honest ( I averaged around 19 seconds one handed with a 57mm weilong V2) . However smaller cubes definitely help when starting out.

Have fun, experiment with cubing. it's an excellent hobby and skill to have.
2017 - Accounting