Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:30:59 am

Author Topic: Can someone explain how the heck I'm supposed to answer this question?  (Read 1805 times)  Share 

CaitlinSavins

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
I have an assignment due tomorrow (yes, I've left it late, I know) and I am struggling so hard to write on it. I've tried answering this question so many times since we got it but it's not at all clear. And I need help.

"Using the stimulus material given as a reference only and examples from a case study you have undertaken, evaluate the role commodification and identity have on the consumption and control of ONE popular culture."

Our popular culture is denim, and I have plenty of notes on that... but this question is the bane of my existence. Please help.

Ci101

• Adventurer
+2
Hey, so I’m doing rock ’n’ roll as my popular culture but I think I can help unpack your question.

To evaluate the role commodification and identity have on the consumption and control of denim try to look at the ideas underpinning commodification (the process of creating a product). Karl Marx developed this idea of “commodity fetish” which is a process where an abstract thing is turned into something real/tangible through commodification. So for example abstract concepts like “coolness” “rebellion” and “sexuality” are packaged and turned into a product. That means individuals can attain abstract things like “sex appeal” and “coolness” through buying something physical i.e. denim.  So essentially, denim the product has been controlled by companies and manufactured to make people feel cool. This “commodity fetish” significantly helps the consumption of denim, as people attach desirable things like “coolness” to denim.

I don’t know much about how denim links with identity specifically, so maybe see if your notes mention a target demographic. Try to give an example of a group that’s attached with denim e.g adolescents or adults as it makes them feel involved in youth culture. You could discuss how buying denim can give individuals a sense of identity because it a status symbol and makes them “cool”.

This is all really general, and when you write it you’ll have to write it less colloquially, but hopefully it helps unpack the question more and what examples you can mention. Maybe have a paragraph on how commodification affects the consumption and control of denim and another paragraph on how identity affects the consumption and control of denim. Anyway these are just some suggestions. Goodluck with your assignment!

CaitlinSavins

• Trailblazer
Hey, so I’m doing rock ’n’ roll as my popular culture but I think I can help unpack your question.

To evaluate the role commodification and identity have on the consumption and control of denim try to look at the ideas underpinning commodification (the process of creating a product). Karl Marx developed this idea of “commodity fetish” which is a process where an abstract thing is turned into something real/tangible through commodification. So for example abstract concepts like “coolness” “rebellion” and “sexuality” are packaged and turned into a product. That means individuals can attain abstract things like “sex appeal” and “coolness” through buying something physical i.e. denim.  So essentially, denim the product has been controlled by companies and manufactured to make people feel cool. This “commodity fetish” significantly helps the consumption of denim, as people attach desirable things like “coolness” to denim.

I don’t know much about how denim links with identity specifically, so maybe see if your notes mention a target demographic. Try to give an example of a group that’s attached with denim e.g adolescents or adults as it makes them feel involved in youth culture. You could discuss how buying denim can give individuals a sense of identity because it a status symbol and makes them “cool”.

This is all really general, and when you write it you’ll have to write it less colloquially, but hopefully it helps unpack the question more and what examples you can mention. Maybe have a paragraph on how commodification affects the consumption and control of denim and another paragraph on how identity affects the consumption and control of denim. Anyway these are just some suggestions. Goodluck with your assignment!

Hey! Thank you so much for answering this. I got 17/20!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593

Awesome work :) :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
Hey guys! Can anyone help me out, can continuity and change elements interrelate?