Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:54:32 am

Author Topic: How Can I Relearn Maths Methods Unit 1?  (Read 7940 times)

lianeric

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How Can I Relearn Maths Methods Unit 1?
« on: November 20, 2019, 07:34:00 pm »
Hi my question is how can I relearn maths methods unit 1 as I feel there are some things that I have forgotten and don't understand. How can I relearn maths methods unit 1 in the holidays efficiently, and how can I learn it so that I don't forget the material again.
THANKS

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: How Can I Relearn Maths Methods Unit 1?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:08:49 pm »
+1
Hey lianeric,

welcome to the forums! :)

To give some context, are you graduating from high school next year or the year after?

lianeric

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:16:34 pm »
+1
I am in year 10 and have just learnt Unit 1, and yes I am new I just created an account

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:56:58 pm »
+9
Hi my question is how can I relearn maths methods unit 1 as I feel there are some things that I have forgotten and don't understand. How can I relearn maths methods unit 1 in the holidays efficiently, and how can I learn it so that I don't forget the material again.
THANKS

Hi Lianeric!

I find that practice exams are a great tool for re-jogging your memory. I usually do a couple practice exams before a test, but you can also use them for standard revision. If your teacher handed out any practice exams throughout the year, it may be worth it to go through them over the holidays as a refresher.

I also recommend just reading through your class notes. Sometimes I think I've completely forgotten how to do something, but once I read through some notes I took in class it will usually all come flooding back. If not, then I know that is something that I should revise more in depth. I would suggest going through your book and taking note of any topics that you are confident with, topics you may need to go over a couple times and topics that you have no clue what is happening and have forgotten pretty much everything you knew. That may help you narrow down your revision - instead of doing every question in your textbook, devote more time to the topics that you aren't as confident with.

Not forgetting material will take constant practice. Some things you will remember a lot easier, but other things will need a little more effort to encode into your long term memory. You don't need to spend hours and hours slaving away at your desk. Rather, you can spend 45 minutes working on maths on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for example. It is more effective to study for smaller periods of time, more consistently, than it is to do one big cram session every once in a while.

It's also important to make sure that you understand the foundational knowledge. For example, its difficult to graph functions if you don't know how translations and stuff work (on the topic of functions, you don't need to study how to graph every single function - rather, focus on how manipulating equations will affect the graph. E.g. what variable will make the function move left? What variable will dilate it? Focus on these basics and you can apply that knowledge to other functions... If that makes sense). In short, if you are struggling to understand one topic in particular, check to make sure you 100% understand the basics.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies! :) Remember to give yourself some time to relax
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:29:54 pm »
+4
K.Smithy has given some great advice here.

One thing I would add is that this is a great time for you to try out different studying techniques and methods to see how they work for you.

This might be looking a building a spaced repetition planner, or trying to do lists and/or schedules

It might mean watching videos on these concepts trying to teach others (if no one is available to be taught "teaching" pets and inanimate objects can be useful too), trying out practice questions etc.

If there's any particular concepts/questions/answers you don't understand feel free to ask on the forums and we'll do our best to help you out :)

Good luck!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 06:38:44 pm »
+1
It might mean watching videos on these concepts

For anyone who is looking for maths videos, I highly recommend Eddie Woo (yes, the legend himself :) ) and Yaymath. Both of these youtubers make excellent videos, in classroom settings.
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics