Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:21 pm

Author Topic: can I still get a good atar?  (Read 1801 times)

spursy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
can I still get a good atar?
« on: May 08, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »
This year has been horrible in terms of results. I try hard but when it's time to do the SACs, I just blank out do way worse than expected.
for english i've being doing ok, averaging 70s
physics has just been atrocious - low 40s
chemistry in the 50s although we have only done 1 SAC
accounting also in mid to high 50s
and methods we haven't done a SAC, but on some tests i have been getting 60-70

so my question is, is it still possible for me to get an atar above 85 if I  improve my results or is it already over for me?

sophiefarinacci

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
Re: can I still get a good atar?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:44:10 am »
+4
Remember, your ATAR is a reflection of where you rank within the state. Likewise, VCAA, when determining your ATAR, will look to your ranking within your school cohort, and moderate your results accordingly. Your school might be administering really difficult SAC's, or conversely really easy ones, so they use your ranking to determine this. Talk to your teachers about your ranking and where you are sitting. There is definitely still a possibility! It is still earl in the yer - don't be disheartened. Besides, U4 is often weighted more than U3. Best of luck!

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:46:29 pm »
I feel as if i'm in the same boat as well. My current SAC scores are:

English: 23/30, 35/40
Revs: 35/50
Methods: No SAC's yet (were all so far behind  :'()
Further: 37/40
Software Development: 28/50, Think I did worse in my second SAC (still awaiting scores)

Was aiming for a 90+ atar, but now i'm not so sure.
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:24:08 pm »
+2

Hey, it's very difficult for any of us to say if you're on track for your goals or not because we don't know how hard your SACs are. I would suggest speaking to your teachers about your goals and ask what you could be doing to improve :)

Given that we don't know your rank, cohort strength or SAC difficulty we don't know whether it's possible or likely for you to achieve 90+. If you're not doing well compared to your classmates and there aren't usually a lot of 90+ ATARs within your school you probably need to improve to reach your desired goal. If you want guidance on how to predict study scores and ATARs I'd suggest looking at some of the posts in the Victorian Tertiary Technical Discussion section of the forums.

Good luck :)

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »
Hey, it's very difficult for any of us to say if you're on track for your goals or not because we don't know how hard your SACs are. I would suggest speaking to your teachers about your goals and ask what you could be doing to improve :)

Given that we don't know your rank, cohort strength or SAC difficulty we don't know whether it's possible or likely for you to achieve 90+. If you're not doing well compared to your classmates and there aren't usually a lot of 90+ ATARs within your school you probably need to improve to reach your desired goal. If you want guidance on how to predict study scores and ATARs I'd suggest looking at some of the posts in the Victorian Tertiary Technical Discussion section of the forums.

Good luck :)

Thanks for your reply Bri MT.
I'm doing two of my classes with Virtual School Victoria (formerly Distance Education Center Victoria), and the SAC's tend to a little harder than the SAC's at my actual school. Unfortunate, I am in a weak cohort but have managed to achieve rank 1 in English, and rank 2 or 3 for Further Maths. I would say that the SAC's are probably easier.

Once again, thanks.
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:06:59 pm »
+1
Thanks for your reply Bri MT.
I'm doing two of my classes with Virtual School Victoria (formerly Distance Education Center Victoria), and the SAC's tend to a little harder than the SAC's at my actual school. Unfortunate, I am in a weak cohort but have managed to achieve rank 1 in English, and rank 2 or 3 for Further Maths. I would say that the SAC's are probably easier.

Once again, thanks.

No worries :)

If you can maintain or gain rank 1 then you just need to make sure that your performance on the exam is at a high level and then your SAC marks will be moderated to high-level performance as well. Based on my experiences in a weak cohort and studying 1 distance ed subject I would say that 90+ is definitely possible. Once you've done some practice exams and compared this to the graded distributions (to see what percentage of the state your marks would be in)  this will give you a good idea of whether you need to improve your exam performance.