Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:22 am

Author Topic: Philosopher needed  (Read 8994 times)  Share 

louiedaws_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Philosopher needed
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:23:06 pm »
Hey so basically I'm trying to apply Kant's categorical imperative to the question 'Should we introduce vehicles that are fully autonomous?'

i)Define a specific rule which authorises the act central to your ethical question.  (2 marks)

ii)Define the general rule which authorises the act central to your ethical question. (1 mark)

I assume the general rule (part ii) is 'We should introduce vehicles that are fully autonomous.' However, I don't know how to create a specific rule without using utility as the justification.

Very confused. Any help would be very much appreciated ;D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Philosopher needed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:35:39 pm »
Hey! I’m a bit confused by your post... if you’re trying to use Kant’s CI, how come you need to create a rule?

✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

louiedaws_

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:21:34 pm »
Hey! I’m a bit confused by your post... if you’re trying to use Kant’s CI, how come you need to create a rule?

It says we need to apply Kant's categorical imperative. Here is my exact task if it helps:

c)    Apply Kant's categorical imperative by completing the following tasks. You need to support any yes/no answers with relevant discussion.

i)   Define a specific rule which authorises the act central to your ethical question.                         
ii)   Define the general rule which authorises the act central to your ethical question.                     
iii)   Is the general rule inherently self-contradictory? Why or why not?   
iv)   Does the general rule violate Kant's practical imperative or any of Kant's other absolute moral rules?            
v)   Is the general rule contrary to its fundamental purpose?   
vi)   Is the act ethical according to Kant's ethical system?

I think the task wants us to universalise our chosen topic (mine being autonomous cars) but whenever I read or watch something on the CI, they explain it by using an example that is self-contradictory.

e.g. the specific rule is: It is OK to copy an assignment from another student in the class.
Then they universalise it with: It is OK for every student to copy their assignment from another student in the class.

However, if everyone copied the assignment then no-one would actually do the assignment and there would be nothing to copy, hence the contradiction.

I'm sorry, this probably makes no sense so if you were given this assignment, how would you approach part i and ii because I've literally spent probably two hours researching Kant's CI and have not got anywhere.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:42 pm »
Is there an issue with indexing the autonomous cars to a person or company? Super basic - "It is okay for a person to distribute autonomous cars". Do you see a problem with that approach?

louiedaws_

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:14:44 pm »
Is there an issue with indexing the autonomous cars to a person or company? Super basic - "It is okay for a person to distribute autonomous cars". Do you see a problem with that approach?

Hey! So sorry for the late reply. This assignment was pushed back a week so I decided to smash out my other ones first.

Hmmm, do you mean my specific rule can be- 'It is okay for a person to distribute fully autonomous cars' and then my general rule is just 'It is okay to distribute/introduce fully autonomous cars.'

Yeah, that seems right because my tutor keeps telling everyone that they are over complicating it.

Thanks  ;D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:47 pm »
+1
Hey! So sorry for the late reply. This assignment was pushed back a week so I decided to smash out my other ones first.

Hmmm, do you mean my specific rule can be- 'It is okay for a person to distribute fully autonomous cars' and then my general rule is just 'It is okay to distribute/introduce fully autonomous cars.'

Yeah, that seems right because my tutor keeps telling everyone that they are over complicating it.

Thanks  ;D
Yeah that’s sort of what I was thinking! Fingers crossed it goes okay haha