Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:40:02 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570883 times)  Share 

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12720 on: July 03, 2020, 12:18:00 pm »
+6
No I don’t understand it
In metaphase, the homologous chromosomes (maternal/paternal) line up on the equator in either:
- Maternal copy left/Paternal right
- Paternal left/Maternal right

This process is random hence the name random assortment

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #12721 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:39 pm »
Chromosome replication sometimes results in abnormal formation of chromosomes. What possible problems would arise if a chromosome was a) missing a centromere and b) dicentric- had an extra centromere

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12722 on: July 03, 2020, 06:42:45 pm »
+5
Chromosome replication sometimes results in abnormal formation of chromosomes. What possible problems would arise if a chromosome was a) missing a centromere and b) dicentric- had an extra centromere
If there's no centromere, the spindle fibres won't be able to attach to the kinetochores (protein complex on centromere), if the spindle fibres don't attach, the chromosomes can't be pulled to the cell poles, and mitosis cannot happen.

(I googled this part, so someone else answer if they have a better understanding) The spindle fibres can attach to both centromeres, and pull them in different directions, this leads to the chromosomes breaking, and reattaching in different places.
I found it a bit hard to understand from the things I read, but this short youtube clip I found makes it really clear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuzeD_VyBO4
Hope that helps
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12723 on: July 03, 2020, 09:57:11 pm »
+7
If a centromere is not present, the split can't occur anymore... or well.. the cell cycle actually wouldn't proceed at all. It's the most important part of a chromosome. These sorts of issues are often found in cancerous cells. If a chromosome is dicentric, it's also unstable. This is because the microtubules will pull either centromere to different ends of the cell during mitosis, which basically creates something called a chromosome bridge. This breaks the chromosome open, letting DNA leak out. Looks like this:

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12724 on: July 03, 2020, 11:01:49 pm »
Why do fish living in freshwater produce urine that contains ammonia

How does the structure of glycoprotein and glycolipid relate to their function

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #12725 on: July 03, 2020, 11:09:44 pm »
+6
Why do fish living in freshwater produce urine that contains ammonia

How does the structure of glycoprotein and glycolipid relate to their function
What have you thought about so far?

It is important that when anyone asks a content-related question they include their current understanding levels to allow for others to be able to target the users' weaknesses and misconceptions so that they can address those directly

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12726 on: July 03, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »
+2
In the freshwater fish the water diffuses into the fish via the gills , there is diffusion of salt from the gills

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12727 on: July 04, 2020, 06:37:24 pm »
Thanks!
What is the difference between discontinuous and continuous inheritance

Why do your fingers get wrinkled when in water of a long time-
Is it because of water going in due to osmosis

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12728 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13:25 pm »
+5
Thanks!

Discontinuous inheritance is when a trait is controlled by one or only a small amount of genes. For example eye colour, there's blue/(green) or brown. Continuous variation is when a trait is controlled by a number of genes (polygenic), for example, height is continuous and there is not just a couple of set heights that people are, there is variation between short/tall and everywhere in between.

I thought this too actually, but I looked it up to make sure and found:
Pruney fingers occur when the nervous system sends a message to the blood vessels to become narrower. The narrowed blood vessels reduce the volume of the fingertips slightly, causing loose folds of skin that form wrinkles.
So vasoconstriction occurs in the finger blood vessels, and osmosis isn't the cause of the wrinkling.

Edit: Also I love your notes 1729!! So pretty and satisfying to look at! (Is the black pen a pentel touch pen?I have one and I love it but I have a problem with needing to buy too many brush pens)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:19:40 pm by Owlbird83 »

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12729 on: July 04, 2020, 07:29:20 pm »
+5
I don't think you should be asking googlable questions on the forum (like your second one).The people who answer your questions are more here to provide clarification on concepts you don't understand, so like if you google the answer and it doesn't make sense, then ask, and include what you don't understand. (This just makes it easier for me to help).
In regards to your first question discontinuous is affected by alleles of a single gene and continuous is a combination of several genes & their alleles. But to elaborate, think of it as discrete inheritance means you either have it or you don't. Whilst continuous is you can have varying levels of it.

Edit: Also I love your notes 1729!! So pretty and satisfying to look at! (Is the black pen a pentel touch pen?I have one and I love it but I have a problem with needing to buy too many brush pens)
Thank you so much! Most of it was with was written with pentel touch, I prefer the metal tip, or fountain pens or gel pens. Muji pens are the best though.
However the pen that I used for those notes was the Pentel Energel 0.5
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:29:01 pm by 1729 »

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12730 on: July 05, 2020, 12:00:57 pm »
+2
For this question
Explain why breathing in and out increases the rate of oxygen diffusion into the blood

This is the answer but I don’t really understand it
As we breathe in and out we are refreshing the oxygen concentration on the lungs which makes the concentration gradient steeper and this will increase the rate of diffusion

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12731 on: July 05, 2020, 12:28:32 pm »
+12
For this question
Explain why breathing in and out increases the rate of oxygen diffusion into the blood

As we breathe in and out we are refreshing the oxygen concentration on the lungs which makes the concentration gradient steeper and this will increase the rate of diffusion
So if you take the left side to be after someone has just taken a fresh breath of oxygen, there's a lot more oxygen in the lungs, so it will be diffuse into the blood faster. The right side still has a higher amount of oxygen on the lungs side, but since it's only a little more than the blood it's slower to move to the blood, than when there's a higher difference.

(click image to unstretch)
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Most of it was with was written with pentel touch, I prefer the metal tip, or fountain pens or gel pens. Muji pens are the best though.
However the pen that I used for those notes was the Pentel Energel 0.5
Ahhh I love muji pens!! We have the same taste in stationary!! (I haven't been using mine much because I'm worried they'll run out of ink haha[/size]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:32:27 pm by Owlbird83 »

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12732 on: July 05, 2020, 12:43:37 pm »
+5
For this question

Dissolved gases are in equilibrium of course. So having more of a certain gas increase the rate at which it dissolves into liquid. When we breathe, we inhale both CO2 and O2, but our exhaled breath is filled with more CO2 because we've depleted the oxygen supply by using it up during cellular respiration. Since we're using up the O2, we want to replenish it by inhaling more. The less O2 we have in the blood, the more it increases the rate of diffusion. If I wrote out an equilibrium, O2 + deoxygenated blood <-> oxygenated blood if you decrease the oxygen in the blood, you push O2 into the deoxygenated blood. They talk about a "concentration gradient" in the answer. It's kinda helpful to think about there being a bigger hole, so to speak. If you imagine oxygen like flowing water, the bigger the hole, the more water that falls into the hole.

So basically, because when we breathe we change the concentration of oxygen and CO2 in the lungs like, when we breathe in, there's more oxygen in our lungs relative to in the blood diffusion gradient steep so diffusion rate fast.
because in diffusion, the goal is to reach equal concentration across both sides, right
Ahhh I love muji pens!! We have the same taste in stationary!! (I haven't been using mine much because I'm worried they'll run out of ink haha
That is the exact same as me!! I don't like using my good pens because I get worried they'll run out of ink! XD
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:09:54 pm by 1729 »

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12733 on: July 05, 2020, 06:23:57 pm »
+4
Thank you 1729 and owlbird83

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive