Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:55:24 am

Author Topic: Is it worth it to keep Chemistry?  (Read 2606 times)  Share 

Snubbles

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Is it worth it to keep Chemistry?
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:59:02 am »
I found that I've been struggling with chemistry 1/2 this year, and I don't know whether it's worth it or not to keep it for next year?

I feel as though I COULD catch up if I worked hard over the holidays, but given the fact that my teacher is literally shit at his job, and I've come to despise the subject because of him, I'm not sure anymore.

There's just a lot of content but chem also seems to be a prereq for multiple uni courses so I'm torn

The other thing is, if I didn't take chemistry, I don't know what else I could take, especially since my schools subject selection is very limited.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Is it worth it to keep Chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 11:00:20 am »
+2
Do you know if you will have the same teacher next year?

Have you spoken (professionally) about your concerns with your teacher?

Do you have an idea of what you might be interested in after year 12?

Snubbles

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:48:55 pm »
Yeah, we have the same teacher next year

And no, not yet- however he's been telling us to quit chemistry repeatedly and when I told him I considered quitting he encouraged me to ahah

Honestly not really, I doubt I'm gonna get a high enough atar for medicine or anything, and biomed requires a 25 in chem which again, I doubt that I'd achieve lmao

PocketRishi

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:35:32 pm »
+2
I felt the same with Chem in 1/2. Was regularly pulling a 60% SAC average. In yr12 ive managed to take this up to a roughly 70% SAC avg (I found it nearly impossible to crack 80% let alone high 90%) which isnt great but then again they are harder SACs than usual (depends from school to school, maybe your school's Yr12 sacs are easier). I personally just read the textbook for all the SAC chapters and usually didnt look at teacher's slides because I otherwise only end up knowing half of the theory (and because Im not great at learning quickly probs).

So if you are willing to work harder in Yr12 for Chem, Id say goo for it, its definitely not as bad as what your teacher might say (our prev teacher used to say its MUCH MUCH MUCH harder which its not). You should be be able to average more than 70% unlike me lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:39:48 pm by PocketRishi »

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »
+4
To add on to Bri’s questions above:
There's just a lot of content but chem also seems to be a prereq for multiple uni courses so I'm torn
What would be your back ups if you can’t get into med or biomed? Will these options require Chem as a prerequisite?

The other thing is, if I didn't take chemistry, I don't know what else I could take, especially since my schools subject selection is very limited.
What are these other options and what are your thoughts on them/ experiences with them? What are your other subjects currently besides Chem? (This latter question isn’t really as important to consider, but might help if you’re concerned about how heavy the workload would be if you switch into specific subjects.)

Honestly not really, I doubt I'm gonna get a high enough atar for medicine or anything, and biomed requires a 25 in chem which again, I doubt that I'd achieve lmao
True story: I did Chem U3/4 about 5 years ago and I was terrible at VCE Chem - honestly. I just passed with a thin margin every time. When exams rolled around, I had almost given up on Chem, but still urged myself to study and give it one last shot, expecting a raw SS of 20 or less. I ended up receiving a Chem raw SS above 30. (I later went on to get a minor in Chemistry at uni, as well, which I actually did relatively alright in.) 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:29:11 pm »
+1
You never know... ;)

What other subjects are you doing? And do you know roughly what kind of course you want to do (like, are you sure you want to do something science-y which may require chem)?

I was in the same boat as you in year 11 - failed every SAC and actually got an email from the school saying they recommend I discontinue chem in year 12 (and I went to a low-performing school, so I was doing badly even in a school with already low standards). I ended up keeping chem just to annoy my teacher but found myself enjoying the subject immensely in year 12, and got the second highest SS in the school in the end.

I reckon the general consensus around VCE chem is that 3/4 is better than 1/2.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Snubbles

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:17:01 pm »
+1
Hey all,
I've dropped chemistry haha, picked up busman
I decided it really wasn't worth it, since I've barely been pulling through chem 1/2
also might be useful to add that we literally still haven't learnt how to balance equations properly lol

Thanks for the input regardless though :)

Sam N

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 08:20:54 pm »
Hi guys can someone help me out too

I am doing chem and economics this year
I averaging above 90% in both. I like both the subjects and enjoy economics more
but i have heard lot of people say that both of them get really hard in 3/4
Which one should i pick? so confused

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 08:25:15 pm »
Hi guys can someone help me out too

I am doing chem and economics this year
I averaging above 90% in both. I like both the subjects and enjoy economics more
but i have heard lot of people say that both of them get really hard in 3/4
Which one should i pick? so confused
My first question is, what courses are you interested in pursuing after high school?

From my understanding economics isn't a prerequisite for any courses, although chemistry is.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University