Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:15 pm

Author Topic: Australian Cricket Captaincy  (Read 12919 times)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: Australian Cricket Captaincy
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 09:37:23 pm »
I do agree that Clarke may be in poor form... hopefully he can get some rhythm in the next innings then get a nice score in the 3rd test.

Agreed - i.e. Hussey - he got 195 in the first test, then 93 today.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »
I do agree that Clarke may be in poor form... hopefully he can get some rhythm in the next innings then get a nice score in the 3rd test.

Agreed - i.e. Hussey - he got 195 in the first test, then 93 today.

To no avail... :(

Back onto Ponting, has anyone else noticed that whenever he loses, he sends out anyone but himself for a press-conference (such as today with Clarke) -obviously he can't escape the captain's speech- and whenever he wins he takes the glory of the first interview (even if he doesn't do much). No other test captain does that, they all front up to a loss. In addition, Ponting has spent the whole two weeks prior to the Ashes criticising just about all of opponents: Struass (then made a 100), Swan (then took a 5-for), KP (we all know what he did), Cook (back to back 100s), Broad (looked better than any of the Aussie bowlers), even Hauritz in the Shield game! Combined with his lack of confidence with the pool shot, I think it is his bitter arrogance that is bringing him down. He backs away from losses, can't graciously win and puts dirt on all of opponents. Sure he is experienced and is a great batsmen, but he has got some serious problems right now and is leading the team in the wrong direction.

I say 'bye, bye' Ponting after the Ashes. Put something nice in the Wisden for him and a free poster in The Age. Done.

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:16 pm »
Siddle is Australia's best pace bowler, not Johnson.
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »
yeah ponting is most likely gone after the ashes, clarke will probably take over.....

samiira

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 10:08:35 pm »
yeah ponting is most likely gone after the ashes, clarke will probably take over.....
clarke is no good either. I reckon Hussey should take over.

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »

Hussey is too old. You need someone young that will spend at least a decade in charge.
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »

Hussey is too old. You need someone young that will spend at least a decade in charge.
I agree with taht, but there isnt anyone apart from Clarke who can take the position. If Clarke can play much more consistently then i wouldnt mind him

bomb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 10:38:09 pm »

Hussey's too old. Most likely option apart from clarke is Watson.

Johnson is a matchwinner, when both at 100%, Johnson owns.
“Great minds have purposes; little minds have wishes. Little minds are subdued by misfortunes; great minds rise above them.” Washington Irving

2010 Results
ATAR: 96.05

samiira

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »

agreed!

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 10:49:14 pm »

agreed!
+1 once he gains some form he will be dangerous.

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 11:26:17 pm »
Disagree, but theres not really any point in arguing about it.

― Hunter S. Thompson

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »

We will never have anyone young as captain because the 'old' guys keep getting picked (the wrong ones too ;) ). Hussey is old (but good), Ponting's going soon (especially if he loses the Ashes, third time for him as captain), Haddin is old (and good), North is 30-something (shouldn't be in the team anyway), Katich is old (good, but now injured), Hauritz can't be captain, Clarke is no longer a Pup (29-ish), and Watson's also like 29 (fairly old for a pace-bowler).

Australia needs some youth, or they should be prepared to put a bowler as captain for the first time in over 50 years!

Both are rarely at 100% simultaneously. that's the problem.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
Australia needs some youth, or they should be prepared to put a bowler as captain for the first time in over 50 years!

Totally agreed. Australia are slowly sliding down the World Rankings... hopefully with some youth injection/changes in the team, we can regain our position as the best team in the world, in all forms of cricket.

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:32:03 pm by pi »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:51 pm »
Ponting's career is being saved today... By a person who was dropped in the previous game.

Cricket's definitely a funny game ;)

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 07:15:46 pm »
Ponting's career is being saved today... By a person who was dropped in the previous game.

Cricket's definitely a funny game ;)
Not entirely saved :P Now he has to play his part - hit a big score!!

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:32:12 pm by pi »