Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:35:12 pm

Author Topic: The PIP Thread  (Read 55135 times)  Share 

angelina.osis

• Adventurer
  • ange
  • Respect: 0
Re: The PIP Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2019, 12:17:36 pm »
Hi there!
I am currently conducting research for my pip however for one of my chapters I must engage with an academic paper although I find it hard to research what I am looking for how do I go about it? I've tried my best on the state library website.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2019, 01:41:55 pm »
+1
Hi there!
I am currently conducting research for my pip however for one of my chapters I must engage with an academic paper although I find it hard to research what I am looking for how do I go about it? I've tried my best on the state library website.
Hey there,

Maybe try searching a bit broader before going in a bit narrow? Try searching around on and experiment key words in google until you find a resource that's relevant to your topic so you can find a term that's academically equivalent to your topic.

What exactly is your PIP topic? I might be able to help you out with research.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

angelina.osis

• Adventurer
  • ange
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »
Hello, my pip is on the topic of Adult Cartoons and how they have become increasingly popular as a platform to explore contemporary issues and social critique.
I need to find papers on the impact/consequences, my teacher said to look for adult satire and its effect.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2019, 04:34:08 pm »
Hey, Angelina!

Sounds like a super cool PIP topic (I'm actually a huge cartoons fan so this actually aligns nicely with so many of my personal interests) you've got there!

It's definitely wise to engage in academic resources to enhance your PIP. Perhaps you could have a case study on satire as a chapter and how it is used in cartoons to construct representations and comment on social issues in contemporary society. Some great platforms for sourcing academic papers are Academia and Google Scholar  :)

Were there any particular cartoons you were looking towards using as your examples?

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2020, 04:00:04 pm »
Hi guys! I'm currently in year 12, and I'm still trying to finalise my PIP topic down to the specifics. I'm having trouble narrowing my topic down, especially since I want to write about so many broad things: the evolution of dark humour and meme culture, differences between Western and Chinese humour, how the two different cultures and societies react (with humour) to the same subject, etc. And my teacher is old... like very old, so it's been difficult trying to get him to understand memes in general. I was wondering if anyone could help me with coming up with a specific focus question?
Thank you!!!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2020, 06:34:27 pm »
+4
Hi guys! I'm currently in year 12, and I'm still trying to finalise my PIP topic down to the specifics. I'm having trouble narrowing my topic down, especially since I want to write about so many broad things: the evolution of dark humour and meme culture, differences between Western and Chinese humour, how the two different cultures and societies react (with humour) to the same subject, etc. And my teacher is old... like very old, so it's been difficult trying to get him to understand memes in general. I was wondering if anyone could help me with coming up with a specific focus question?
Thank you!!!
Hey there,

Exploring the evolution of humour and meme culture is a very interesting topic! If you would like to go down that route, you'd definitely need to be a bit more specific, not just naming your cross-cultural comparison (though it is important too) but also like what aspect of humour are you comparing? For example, are you exploring the impacts of humour/meme culture on Western and Chinese adolescents? Are you looking at dark humour/meme culture at a macro scale, say, in the films/advertisements/music? Think about what SAC concepts you want to address in your PIP but also look at the different opinions surrounding dark humour/meme culture. Or sometimes a reflection on why you chose this topic can help you narrow down the topic.

In terms of explaining it to your teacher, yeah it's difficult for them to understand meme culture (I did a History Extension Major Work on video games and my teacher knew absolutely nothing about video games), it can also work in your favour as well because your teacher can also learn from your PIP - and that's what you want; you want people to consider the perspectives you raise in your PIP or teach them something new. I guess the best way to approach this is to do enough research that you can give your teacher a basic definition of memes but also give them an example and explain it. Say you're looking at a bubble tea meme, then you break it down and explain how it refers to bubble tea as the Asian drink of choice. You shouldn't expect them to completely understand the humour of it, but the best you can do is to make sure they have a basic definition and basic understanding on what you're doing.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2020, 10:13:46 am »
Hey there,

Exploring the evolution of humour and meme culture is a very interesting topic! If you would like to go down that route, you'd definitely need to be a bit more specific, not just naming your cross-cultural comparison (though it is important too) but also like what aspect of humour are you comparing? For example, are you exploring the impacts of humour/meme culture on Western and Chinese adolescents? Are you looking at dark humour/meme culture at a macro scale, say, in the films/advertisements/music? Think about what SAC concepts you want to address in your PIP but also look at the different opinions surrounding dark humour/meme culture. Or sometimes a reflection on why you chose this topic can help you narrow down the topic.

In terms of explaining it to your teacher, yeah it's difficult for them to understand meme culture (I did a History Extension Major Work on video games and my teacher knew absolutely nothing about video games), it can also work in your favour as well because your teacher can also learn from your PIP - and that's what you want; you want people to consider the perspectives you raise in your PIP or teach them something new. I guess the best way to approach this is to do enough research that you can give your teacher a basic definition of memes but also give them an example and explain it. Say you're looking at a bubble tea meme, then you break it down and explain how it refers to bubble tea as the Asian drink of choice. You shouldn't expect them to completely understand the humour of it, but the best you can do is to make sure they have a basic definition and basic understanding on what you're doing.

Hope this helps!

Hey, thanks for replying! I was doing a bit of research, and found it quite interesting how sarcasm is received differently in cultures around the world. For example, English obviously is loaded with sarcasm, but whenever I have tried to use sarcasm against my Chinese parents, they don't get it at all. But sarcasm as an aspect of humour is a completely different idea to dark humour and meme culture, so I wouldn't be able to talk about both of them.

My teacher also suggested I use the corona virus pandemic as a case study, since there have been a lot of memes as a result of its media attention. SO basically... I just need to pick between sarcasm and dark humour/meme culture. But I'm really indecisive and just don't know which one would make a better PIP.
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2020, 11:12:07 pm »
+1
Hey, thanks for replying! I was doing a bit of research, and found it quite interesting how sarcasm is received differently in cultures around the world. For example, English obviously is loaded with sarcasm, but whenever I have tried to use sarcasm against my Chinese parents, they don't get it at all. But sarcasm as an aspect of humour is a completely different idea to dark humour and meme culture, so I wouldn't be able to talk about both of them.

My teacher also suggested I use the corona virus pandemic as a case study, since there have been a lot of memes as a result of its media attention. SO basically... I just need to pick between sarcasm and dark humour/meme culture. But I'm really indecisive and just don't know which one would make a better PIP.
One thing I'd say if you want to do something about sarcasm, be careful that your PIP doesn't turn into a linguistics essay. One of the topics I brainstormed was about conlangs (constructed languages) and how they create a sense of communal identity amongst fandoms but my teacher warned me that it can easily stray away from Society & Culture.

If you want to do meme culture, then perhaps you can take your teacher's idea on how adolescents use memes to understand issues (e.g. political memes, coronavirus etc.) or you could look at how memes play an important role in collectivist culture. You can also look at controversies surrounding memes, specifically self-deprecating memes and normalising suicide and its impacts on adolescents.

Hope this helps!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2020, 10:20:26 pm »
+2
One thing I'd say if you want to do something about sarcasm, be careful that your PIP doesn't turn into a linguistics essay. One of the topics I brainstormed was about conlangs (constructed languages) and how they create a sense of communal identity amongst fandoms but my teacher warned me that it can easily stray away from Society & Culture.

If you want to do meme culture, then perhaps you can take your teacher's idea on how adolescents use memes to understand issues (e.g. political memes, coronavirus etc.) or you could look at how memes play an important role in collectivist culture. You can also look at controversies surrounding memes, specifically self-deprecating memes and normalising suicide and its impacts on adolescents.

Hope this helps!

I've always been interested in linguistics hahaha, but I'll definitely take your word for it! Thank you so much for your help, I've been stuck without a specific question for ages and it's been so difficult to start writing anything at all.  ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2020, 03:51:44 pm »
+4
Hey, I've just written the first draft of my PIP intro. My topic is the erasure and intentional suppression of individuals throughout history on the basis of gender, and its influence on the values and policies of the 21st century society (a mouthful I know). As its my first draft I've gone over on the word count but I was hoping for some feedback before I start culling it down. If anyone had any pip titles too that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums! Sorry this took so long to mark but I've included my feedback in the document I attached.

Just some overall feedback:
- Good start, you've essentially covered what is required in an intro.
- There are some sections where I believed that you didn't need in an intro or you should have elaborated a bit more
- It lacks a personal voice. Because your intro and log are gonna be the first few sections the marker will read, you need to be able to grab their attention so adding a bit of personal flair can help with that.
- Tense should be in past tense, just like any other intro.

Another thing I'll suggest is maybe instead of jumping into editing your intro, start planning out and writing your central material (it doesn't need to be perfect). It gives you a great understanding on the direction of your PIP. Or maybe, your PIP may go in a direction you didn't expect. Either way, it's best to see how your PIP will go and once you have a better bearing on your topic, then go back to your intro and see if you need to add or delete anything.

Hope this helps!

jessica.littler1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:27 pm »
not sure if i'm doing this on the right forum/page thing but if some of yall could fill out my pip survey it would help me out heaps thank you :"))

https://forms.gle/8HcPrsWEUMPaznbr7

Miameh

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2020, 01:03:50 pm »
+1
hi if anyone has a spare 2-3 min pls do my PIP questionnaire thank you!!!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4XndmQsB33pBeZw9KOtKcrt0L_iqwDLvbrqZdzb9o7mQbew/viewform?usp=sf_link

sylvia547

• Fresh Poster
  • Always try your best!
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »
Hey guys, I have designed a survey for my Personal Interest Project and I would really appreciate it if you could spend a few minutes of your time to part take in it. The topic I have chosen is Societal pressures and expectations that impact young women in social media.

https://forms.gle/yc9RSoWr4WJ2TZnVA

Every contribution counts! Thank you so much.
Modify message

tomthomas

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2021, 04:41:06 pm »
Hi I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look over my PIP draft? So far, I've done the intro, log and chapters 1 and 2. If that's too long, then I would really appreciate it if someone could just look over what I have of chapter 3 - I'm really struggling with planning paragraphs and just basically getting words on the paper. I think I'm just overthinking it but I could really use a hand.

My topic is the impact of transgender representation in the media on transgender and cisgender people and my hypothesis is: "the lack of media diversity has enculturated harmful stereotypes of the transgender community, leading to prejudice, discrimination and a distorted sense of self."

(Also, don't mind the highlighting, that's just me marking course concepts and secondary research)

This is my first time using ATAR notes so let's hope that the attachment works.

hungrymuffin

• Adventurer
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2021, 07:11:15 pm »
hey guys!

so im having a bit of a mental breakdown lol, my pip is on interracial marriages. im using a survey, interviews and a case study as my means of research. in the case study ill be going into depth on the perceptions of interracial marriages in Japan and Aus to address the cross cultural component.

ive sent out one survey, its distributed to mainly people in aus. should I distribute the same survey to people in Japan or should I create a whole new survey that will only be conducted by people living in Japan? with my interviews, I can only interview people here, so how will I link that to perceptions in Japan??

all help is appreciated!!!

thank you!!!