Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:07:06 pm

Author Topic: Sprinting  (Read 4549 times)  Share 

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
Sprinting
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:16 pm »
+1
Hey guys, for this years(2018) athletics, I really want to come first in the sprint races or relays.
Does anyone have any tips to run quicker in 100m/ 200m?
In 200m I tend to run slower as it gets to the end but I don't know how to maintain the speed. I got overtaken in the last bit.. Getting 3rd in 200m.
For 100m, I try my hardest but there are still people who run faster, how is that? Is this legs moving faster, faster starting? I haven't actually timed my self but I got 3rd in a very quick and athletic cohort....
Goal ATAR: 99.00<

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Sprinting
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:26:39 pm »
+4
main factors would be genetics (e.g. more fast twitch muscle fibres for sprinting) + training

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:30:07 pm »
+1
main factors would be genetics (e.g. more fast twitch muscle fibres for sprinting) + training
ok I barely train and maybe I should eat more food with fibre + proteins?

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:34 pm »
+4
For the 100m, top speed and acceleration are all-important. Speed = cadence x stride length. For cadence, try to minimise ground contact time by running forefoot (preferably with spikes if you are accustomed to them), and look on the Internet for correct technique guidance in regards to knee drive and arms etc. For stride length, it is important to work on motor unit recruitment by training the neural pathways that 'recruit' muscle. This can be done through plyometric training, and drills such as ladder sprinting. Strength training with heavy weights will also improve your power output.
Make sure to work on your block start technique, either with a coach or based off YouTube tutorials.

For the 200m, your loss of speed is a combination of two factors: H+ accumulation (think lactic acid), and depletion of muscular phosphocreatine (PC) stores. PC is an energy storage molecule found in small amounts in major muscle groups to enable massively energetic bursts for up to ~15 seconds. You can train your muscles to store more PC through repeated very high intensity efforts about 95% of maximum intensity and about 5-12 seconds duration. Make sure to give sufficient recovery time between repetitions with a ~1:5 work:rest ratio.
As for tolerance of H+, you can improve this by training your muscles to store chemicals that buffer such an increase in acidity. On a practical level, this is done by training sessions consisting of repetitions 15-45 seconds long at 85-95% maximum intensity, with a work:rest ratio of ~1:3.

Make sure to stretch and warm up and warm down before and after training sessions, and try to allow maximum recovery and adaptation by consuming snacks with decent levels of carbohydrates and protein within 30 minutes after a training session. Also keep hydrated and sleep well.

For any significant adaptation, you will want to aim to be training for at least 6 weeks prior to your events.

So a sample week might look like:
Mon - 5x80m run throughs (50 sec rests) at 95% intensity (develop motor unit recruitment, technique and PC stores)
Tues - active daily life (ADL) (eg cycling is great)
Wed - moderate gym session focusing on major leg muscle groups with heavyish weights
Thurs - ADL
Fri - 4 x 150m (60 second rests) at 90% intensity
Sat - ADL
Sun - ADL
Mon - working on technique with block starts
Etc etc

Note: I mentioned plyometric for the sake of completeness in a guide to sprinting, but they can be VERY dangerous. If your body isn't ready or your technique is off you can do serious damage. I would say that you should not attempt these unless you have a coach to supervise and say that you are ready. I for example did some plyometric jump squats in November 2016 and haven't been able to cycle since due to knee tendon issues. Seriously, do not even consider these without supervision.

Good luck in your athletics!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:57:26 pm »
+6
If you're serious about it, have a chat to an athletics coach, exercise physiologist, or a physiotherapist. Even do some research online (don't trust everything you read, though)! Progress comes through having a properly developed program, and you're best to seek professional help for this, even if it's just one session to help put you on the right path. It's probably best not to be developing a training program from what you read on an educational forum (not having a dig at anyone) - it's best to see someone who has done further education on the human body, exercise, etc. :)

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:02 pm »
+3
If you're serious about it, have a chat to an athletics coach, exercise physiologist, or a physiotherapist. Even do some research online (don't trust everything you read, though)! Progress comes through having a properly developed program, and you're best to seek professional help for this, even if it's just one session to help put you on the right path. It's probably best not to be developing a training program from what you read on an educational forum (not having a dig at anyone) - it's best to see someone who has done further education on the human body, exercise, etc. :)
^^ absolutely 100% agreed.
I probably ought to think twice before posting potentially dangerous things such as the above.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:45:06 pm »
+4
If you want to get better at sprinting - do more sprinting. If you aren’t training then, yeah, putting in some work twice a week is going to make you faster!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:46:28 pm »
+1
Ok thanks everyone!! I will try my best :)