Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:50 am

Author Topic: Thesis for an essay  (Read 619 times)

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Thesis for an essay
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:14 am »
Hi! Whenever I write essays, the hardest way aspect of the essay is the thesis which causes me a complete meltdown. Whenever you do a practice theses, what is that you have to look for and how do you improve on it? Thanks for stopping by and any help is very appreciated! :)

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: Thesis for an essay
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:59:02 am »
Hi! Whenever I write essays, the hardest way aspect of the essay is the thesis which causes me a complete meltdown. Whenever you do a practice theses, what is that you have to look for and how do you improve on it? Thanks for stopping by and any help is very appreciated! :)

Hey!

Your thesis should be the argument of your essay. So when reading the essay question, you'd express your opinion within your thesis and then find evidence of your opinion within your texts. Does this make sense?

The best way to improve is to practice writing thesis', so you'd find essay questions and just attempt to write a thesis question. I have a post with practice essay questions for Mod A that you can check out here

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

infinityandbeyond

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:58:38 pm »
Use this formula for thesis:

Question+Your Opinion/Argument+Rubric= THESIS

Definitely have your voice in it. My teacher tells me that a thesis should have two parts to it (adds complexity), and later you can expand on these parts.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:01:43 pm by infinityandbeyond »

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:24:37 pm »
+2
Heya!

Was reading the formula for the thesis part, and thought I'd give my opinion on using one.

While a lot of maths inclined students tend to work better by using formulas in English, it is usually advised against, simply because there is no set method or way to write a good essay/thesis. It is all about practice, hard work, consistency and a passion for your texts (and yes, you can fake this for your essay).

Markers will almost always realise when you're using a formula to write your essays, and after they read SO many essays with the same type of formula, they get bored and tend to mark the generic responses down. That is why having a personal voice (or a personal opinion) for your texts and the question will result in a higher mark. Markers look for unique opinions that not many students would've thought about. As the thesis is the first glimpse of your personal voice, it is important you use it to 'hook' the markers in to enjoy your writing, which will result in better marks.

When writing your thesis, it is important to include your opinion and a few words from the necessary part of the syllabus as it helps the markers understand that you know your content, and aren't just memorising essays and hoping for the best. I disagree with repeating the question in your thesis, the thesis should be the answer to your essay question, it is the core of your argument and the sole reason for writing the essay. Thus, I think the question is less necessary to repeat in your thesis. I definitely agree with the having two parts of your thesis. The first part should be a sentence and should express the core notions of your idea, the second part should bring in your text(s) and where your core idea is seen in your text(s) [i.e. your evidence].
So sorry for the mini essay, but feel free to post your practice thesis' in the "Marking and Feedback" section of the forums!

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}