Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 02:07:39 am

Author Topic: A Geometry Guide: Tackling Proofs in the HSC  (Read 12755 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
A Geometry Guide: Tackling Proofs in the HSC
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:43:19 pm »
+5
 Hello once again everyone. Yep, time for another guide. Talking to the students I tutor (and some friends I did the HSC with), there is one massive time waster in exams. Staring at geometry proofs and wondering, "You want me to prove what?" And you stare for 10 minutes and end up scribbling a proof that isn't really a thing and... It's not pleasant. These remain my pet hate in Mathematics. But there is a lot you can do to prepare yourself and make these proofs a lot easier. Of course, while reading this guide, if anything is unclear, register and pop a question below! Also, remember to check out the notes for both 2U and Extension, which go into more depth than I do if you need that extra little bit of assistance.

Okay, there is lots to cover in this section, and it is difficult to find examples which focus on ONE area. So we'll summarise the content, then do examples, and we'll begin with polygons. You should try and be familiar with the basic properties of the quadrilaterals, including their area formulas, and what you need to have in a proof for that shape (i.e., how do you prove a shape is a rectangle?).  Here's a brief summary:

You should notice what you need to prove for the various shapes, lots of people waste time by proving too much!

You should know the formula for finding the angle sum of polygons, and remember that all the angles of a regular polygon (all sides equal) are equal!

Polygons aren't covered as much in the HSC, but they are always in the exam in some form!

Then we come to triangles. Now this guide won't cover trigonometry, and geometry questions normally won't overlap this area either. However, keep in mind the trig ratios may be necessary. The only thing you'll need here is a knowledge of the shape's properties:

- Angle sum is 180 degrees
- Exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the interior angles

And actually, that's most of the work done. Usually, you will be proving congruence (the same triangle, same size) or similarity (the same triangle, but possibly of different size). The proofs for congruence are, we remember, RHS, AAS, SAS, SSS. For similarity, we need to prove either that they are equiangular, or that the sides are all in proportion. Similarity is much more common to prove.

Finally, we have parallel line related proofs. Make sure you remember the following rules:
- Corresponding angles are equal
- Alternate angles are equal
- Co-Interior angles add to 180
- Sets of parallel lines cut transversals in proportion

Right! That was a massive amount of content, and there is so many weird tidbits that I very well may have forgotten something. There is also lots of little tricks to these properties, so if you have any useful ones, share them below! Let's work through a tricky example to demonstrate some of this.

Example One (2014 HSC): In Triangle DEF, a point S is chosen on the side DE. The length of DS is x, and the length of ES is y. The line through S parallel to DF meets EF at Q. The line through S parallel to EF meets DF at R. The area of triangle DEF is A. The areas of triangle DSR and triangle SEQ are \(A_1\) and \(A_2\) respectively.

Thank goodness for diagrams right?

a) Show that Triangle DEF is similar to Triangle DSR.
Okay, this is a good chance to mention something important: make your reasoning clear! To emphasise this, I'm going to do this proof in words (you would use symbols):

Angle D is common to both triangles
Angle DFE is equal to Angle DRS (since they are equal corresponding angles on the parallel lines RS//FE)
Since two angles in the triangles are equal, the third is also, since both triangles have an angle sum of 180
Therefore the triangles are equiangular, and thus, similar

Everything that was there should be in a proof to guarantee full marks, just with symbols instead of words where appropriate.

b) Prove that \(\frac{DR}{DF}=\frac{x}{x+y}\)

Geometry questions demonstrate more than any others that it is absolutely essential to pay attention to the previous parts of a question. We have proved similarity, so we know that the sides of the triangles are in proportion. State this, rewrite out the answer, and you have full marks  :D

c) Prove that \(\sqrt{\frac{A_1}{A}}=\frac{x}{x+y}\)

We consider the areas of Triangle DRS and Triangle DFE in terms of the formula \(A=\frac { 1 }{ 2 } ab\sin { C }\). Remember this one too!

Using the previous part, we can get the answer:

For full marks, this proof would require mention that the ratio DS/DE is equal to the ration DR/DF (since the triangles are similar), and that in the last step, we take the positive square root since the areas are positive.

I have omitted the last part of this question, which is more an algebra trick, but we can see how various areas of above are combined to contribute to a fairly complex proof.

Another common question is bearings.

Example 2: Chris leaves island A in a boat and sails 142 km on a bearing of 078° to island B. Chris then sails on a bearing of 191° for 220 km to island C, as shown in the diagram.

a) Show that the distance from island C to island A is approximately 210 km.

Right, this time I'll do it exactly as you should do it in the HSC/Trials (all angles are in degrees):

Therefore, by the cosine rule, the required distance d is:

This question shows that the sine and cosine rule come up a lot in bearings questions. A reminder of those rules:

The final piece of the puzzle is basic circle geometry. These are formulaic questions, and 2U students need only remember that radii at all points of a circle are equal, and the following formulae:

Most questions involve combining these formulas (EG- relating arc length and area is a big one). Be careful with the algebra and these questions should be a snap. And my biggest tip, remember to reset your calculator to radians for this section! Extension students, there is a short guide for all of your circle geometry stuff on its way, stay tuned  ;)

Geometry has the potential to be the hardest part of your exam, so to close this guide, I want to stress my biggest tip for dealing with geometry proofs that you don't get straight away. Leave them until the end. This way they will stew in the back of your mind, and when you come back to them, you'll know everything else is done, and you aren't feeling as pressured. Trust me, it works wonders. Thanks for reading guys! Be sure to ask questions, check out the notes, and study study study!

;D ;D ;D A GUIDE BY JAMON WINDEYER  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:51:46 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: A Geometry Guide: Tackling Proofs in the HSC
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:43:28 pm »
Hi I wanted to know generally for maths apart from past papers what is an effective method to study

Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »
Hi I wanted to know generally for maths apart from past papers what is an effective method to study

Thanks

There is none. Because past papers are that dominating ESPECIALLY with maths that it completely overshadows almost every other study technique.

However, in the event that you probably aren't prepared to tackle them yet, you still have to do a lot of questions. That does not mean do a lot of maths in focus questions because they are not worth it at all.

Textbooks such as Cambridge, Fitzpatrick and Terry Lee (Terry Lee is amazing however be warned it might be really difficult to understand) all have a great range of questions for you to attempt.

(Note: Just understanding notes for maths is insufficient. Maths is all about how to apply what you know. Hence - Questions)

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:06:48 pm »
Thanks
What about should we focus on hsc past papers
Or selective school trials
Or independents
Which one mainly

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »
And how do we post and English essay for someone to check thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 04:09:45 pm »
Thanks
What about should we focus on hsc past papers
Or selective school trials
Or independents
Which one mainly

Up to you. Personally I kept the actual HSC papers for final exam preparation though. Because it's quite possible to do 15 papers for maths during that long break you have, and you want to anticipate the question style.

dan964's THSC website involves several selective school papers that you may find appropriate for preparation for anything.

Independents papers (copyrighted - if you obtain a copy it should be through proper payment or school reasons) have a substantial degree of difficulty. Worth it for students aiming for at least band 5.

And how do we post and English essay for someone to check thanks

Pretty sure brenden made a big announcement regarding this.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 04:24:19 pm »
Up to you. Personally I kept the actual HSC papers for final exam preparation though. Because it's quite possible to do 15 papers for maths during that long break you have, and you want to anticipate the question style.

dan964's THSC website involves several selective school papers that you may find appropriate for preparation for anything.

Independents papers (copyrighted - if you obtain a copy it should be through proper payment or school reasons) have a substantial degree of difficulty. Worth it for students aiming for at least band 5.

Pretty sure brenden made a big announcement regarding this.

Totally, anything and everything you can, the more questions you are exposed to the better! Further, there are over 30 HSC Maths past papers for 2 unit, so definitely enough to use some for Trials and some for HSC!  ;D

That announcement is here, what sort of essay are you looking to get marked? You can find them all in the appropriate section here, or I can link you directly to the right one if you let me know what the essay is about  ;D

Bella181

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
Hi,
In terms of knowing all the properties and formulas for different shapes, how do we know
how many to learn/ which shapes they would likely ask. Should we be memorising quite a lot in case
they ask a really random one or is that an unlikely case?

Thank you!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »
Hi,
In terms of knowing all the properties and formulas for different shapes, how do we know
how many to learn/ which shapes they would likely ask. Should we be memorising quite a lot in case

Thank you!
How many properties/theorems to learn?

The answer is all of them. Choosing to learn "some of the course" and not all is one of the easiest ways to say "I'm going to sacrifice marks".

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:17:17 am »
Hi,

Thank you!

Hey Bella! Definitely agree with Rui above in principle, be familiar with as many as you can, but thankfully the syllabus does restrict the properties you need a little!!

Properties of quadrilaterals:
(a) parallelogram (equality of opposite sides and angles, bisection of diagonals). Tests for parallelograms (both pairs of opposite sides parallel, both pairs of opposite angles equal, one pair of opposite sides equal and parallel, diagonals bisect each other).
(b) rhombus (diagonals bisect each other at right angles, diagonals bisect the angles through which they pass). Tests for a rhombus (all sides equal, diagonals bisect at right angles).
(c) rectangle (diagonals are equal).
(d) square.

This is obviously in conjunction with the properties of different triangles, and circles  ;D so these are the ones you need!! Any weirder shapes won't be assessed in the HSC 8)