Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:11:47 pm

Author Topic: Summer Research Scholarship Program  (Read 793 times)  Share 

cremeau

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Summer Research Scholarship Program
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:11:28 pm »
I know it's probably best to email the actual supervisor but is there anyone here that's been part of a summer research program at Monash and can tell me what it's like (location, hours, activities, other)? Thank you! :)
2015: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Summer Research Scholarship Program
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:32:54 pm »
+1
Honestly, it depends ENTIRELY on the supervisor. I've heard stories of people who walked in, were told there was no point doing the scholarship, and then never heard about anything again. There was one person who went in for 9 hours every day taking care of and breeding fish, and then there was one who only came in once a week for a couple of hours, and most of it was at home reading papers.Then there was one guy who came in for a few hours a day, collected some data, worked it up later, and got that stuff published. And all of this was ALL in science - so, unfortunately, even the faculty doesn't have consistency.

Sorry I can't be much help, but really, the only way you'll get a solid answer is by e-mailing the supervisor

cremeau

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Summer Research Scholarship Program
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:23:57 pm »
Honestly, it depends ENTIRELY on the supervisor. I've heard stories of people who walked in, were told there was no point doing the scholarship, and then never heard about anything again. There was one person who went in for 9 hours every day taking care of and breeding fish, and then there was one who only came in once a week for a couple of hours, and most of it was at home reading papers.Then there was one guy who came in for a few hours a day, collected some data, worked it up later, and got that stuff published. And all of this was ALL in science - so, unfortunately, even the faculty doesn't have consistency.

Sorry I can't be much help, but really, the only way you'll get a solid answer is by e-mailing the supervisor

Thank you!
2015: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash