Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:21:50 pm

Author Topic: Welcome to the HSC Exams 2020 board  (Read 6022 times)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
Re: Welcome to the HSC Exams 2020 board
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 10:44:16 am »
same I saw no problem w section 1 however mod C did throw people off- I know a number of people who ended up writing a reflection too just in the confusion of the moment. tbh I'm actually glad they did that in some ways...because it really evened out the 2 papers as a whole which had no curveballs and kind of straightforward questions. however I'm not sure if it's "fair" on nesa's part... some schools were completely ill prepared for the imaginative text type as many focused on the discursive/reflection because of the new syllabus...why bother changing up the syllabus if you're not even gonna test out its new bells and whistles in only its second year?

True, and I understand that the blame can't go to the students yet they had to bear the brunt of the effects, but I feel NESA were justified in their actions, because the syllabus and sample papers indicated that they didn't have to ask for a reflection and could specify a text type. Unfortunately, I think a lot of teachers misinterpreted this and focused on a rigid structure, which poorly prepared their students. I feel like this was just unfortunate on behalf of the teachers, and it's a bad situation, but the blame can't really go to NESA. In my opinion, of course.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 03:39:22 pm »
Hey Angelina 
You are probably familiar with the controversial image as well. The question asked about the form and language techniques, but I discussed visual techniques. Is that what the form means?
Also discussion groups are saying that at least 5 pages are needed for Band 5. Is that true? Wouldn't a quality 4 page essay be better, than a longer one,  but not as good. Additionally, some people write big, some smaller letters, so surely the number of pages is not the most important thing?!

Just saw these questions now! If you discussed language and visual techniques you should be good because the form of the text is visual  :) I also try to get it out of students' heads that you need to read a certain number of pages to do well because everyone has different handwriting sizes, some people cross out a lot more things etc. so gauging how you went based on pages won't give you much. As long as you answer your question, use quotes and techniques to support your arguments and effectively link back, you're fine! It definitely is up to quality over quantity  :D

Also, for Paper 2 in the creative story, did anyone begin with the stimulus (even though it said not to write the full thing out), because I quoted different parts of the stimulus throughout my creative, did anyone else do this?
Coolmate 8)

This is also fine! I did this in Extension 1 English in my HSC; I treated the provided excerpt they gave us as a refrain so I was using it throughout my response. What matters is that your response was relevant to it and developed its ideas in an engaging way  :D

As for my thoughts on the Module C section, BakerDad12 is right in that the NESA sample paper did show an option where they could just ask for a full 20 mark response and specify a text type so teachers should have prepared students for that outcome. However, I also agree with ririre in that there is this whole emphasis being placed now with the new syllabus on learning other text types, developing connections with your prescribed texts through the writing and engaging in the craft of writing in a more holistic manner. Either way, I think them throwing this as a curveball in the second year of the syllabus was a poor move. I am on the fence with this debate because I wasn't the one sitting the paper and I think whatever any of you think about it is more valid  :) Ultimately, I think that the papers could have been way worse and while everyone faced their own set of challenges, you will all come out just fine :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Natasack

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 06:22:37 pm »
Just saw these questions now! If you discussed language and visual techniques you should be good because the form of the text is visual  :) I also try to get it out of students' heads that you need to read a certain number of pages to do well because everyone has different handwriting sizes, some people cross out a lot more things etc. so gauging how you went based on pages won't give you much. As long as you answer your question, use quotes and techniques to support your arguments and effectively link back, you're fine! It definitely is up to quality over quantity  :D

This is also fine! I did this in Extension 1 English in my HSC; I treated the provided excerpt they gave us as a refrain so I was using it throughout my response. What matters is that your response was relevant to it and developed its ideas in an engaging way  :D

As for my thoughts on the Module C section, BakerDad12 is right in that the NESA sample paper did show an option where they could just ask for a full 20 mark response and specify a text type so teachers should have prepared students for that outcome. However, I also agree with ririre in that there is this whole emphasis being placed now with the new syllabus on learning other text types, developing connections with your prescribed texts through the writing and engaging in the craft of writing in a more holistic manner. Either way, I think them throwing this as a curveball in the second year of the syllabus was a poor move. I am on the fence with this debate because I wasn't the one sitting the paper and I think whatever any of you think about it is more valid  :) Ultimately, I think that the papers could have been way worse and while everyone faced their own set of challenges, you will all come out just fine :D
Thanks again, Angelina!
And what do you think how important was to give the creative story a title?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 09:48:19 pm »
Thanks again, Angelina!
And what do you think how important was to give the creative story a title?

I find that having a title shows that you recognise that it is a part of the form of any piece of writing, that you understand its importance and you can, therefore, allow it to provide significant weight and meaning for your piece if you choose an effective one. I think this is particularly the case given that they didn't have a reflection this year. A title says a lot about your ability to reflect upon your creative choices and make conscious decisions on how they shape your imaginative writing. Despite my thoughts though, you technically don't need a title and won't "lose marks" for not having one (remember that markers are looking to give marks!). It's not specified anywhere in the syllabus that you need to have one so if you didn't have one or know of people who didn't, it's all good  :)

If you were asking me this question prior to the HSC exams, I would have been emphasising over and over again to have it because it differentiates your response immediately since so many people forget to/choose not to have titles. However, the exams are over now and I can truly say that it isn't as huge of a deal as people make it out to be. The creative will speak for itself  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Natasack

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 10:22:37 pm »
I find that having a title shows that you recognise that it is a part of the form of any piece of writing, that you understand its importance and you can, therefore, allow it to provide significant weight and meaning for your piece if you choose an effective one. I think this is particularly the case given that they didn't have a reflection this year. A title says a lot about your ability to reflect upon your creative choices and make conscious decisions on how they shape your imaginative writing. Despite my thoughts though, you technically don't need a title and won't "lose marks" for not having one (remember that markers are looking to give marks!). It's not specified anywhere in the syllabus that you need to have one so if you didn't have one or know of people who didn't, it's all good  :)

If you were asking me this question prior to the HSC exams, I would have been emphasising over and over again to have it because it differentiates your response immediately since so many people forget to/choose not to have titles. However, the exams are over now and I can truly say that it isn't as huge of a deal as people make it out to be. The creative will speak for itself  ;D
Thanks! I think it's time for me to stop thinking about English and focus on my other exams 😁 3 next week 😲