Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:16:13 am

Author Topic: Single Slit vs Double Slit  (Read 10444 times)  Share 

HarveyD

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
Single Slit vs Double Slit
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »
How would you compare the two/explain the difference well?

All I have is that the single slit forms a diffraction pattern, while the double slit forms an interference pattern. Hence the single slit will have a large middle band while the double slit will produce narrow bands of equal distance.

Is there anything else? :S

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Re: Single Slit vs Double Slit
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:33:19 pm »
But yeah, I think you've pretty much covered it there.

You could talk about what the particle model predicts?
Particle model would predict for the single slit that are single band of light would be formed, and for the double slit, two bands of light.
Of course, this is incorrect.

You could talk about the path difference, constructive and destructive interference, when and where a node or antinode will occur etc.

You could talk about how diffraction patterns are proportional to , where the pattern produced is sharpest when the ratio is equal to one (approx same order of magnitude. Discuss the implications for the wavelength and slit spacing of light this poses.

Similarly, for interference: Fringe Spacing . So you're going to get the largest amount of fringe spacing when you have the biggest wavelength, maximise the distance from the slit to the screen and minimise the size of the slit. Compare the two equations perhaps \e.g what would be the quality of the diffraction pattern if you left the wavelength and screen distance the same, and merely just changed from two slits from one slits (assuming you had maximized the amount of fringe spacing in the interference pattern).

I guess that would be getting into unnecessary detail though, what you had is probably fine. 

HarveyD

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
ah k, thanks for that :D

You could talk about how diffraction patterns are proportional to \frac{\lambda}{w}, where the pattern produced is sharpest when the ratio is equal to one (approx same order of magnitude. Discuss the implications for the wavelength and slit spacing of light this poses.

also with this, does that mean when the ratio is above one the pattern will be too spread out and when it is below one it will pretty much be just one band?

LinusX

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
Yeah when the ratio is greater than one, the pattern widens so much that clarity is lost. When below one, you still get diffraction occuring, just not as much (negligible). Just remember that the pattern is clearest when the ratio equals one as laseredd. Am I right in saying this laseredd?

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:57:02 pm »
+1
also with this, does that mean when the ratio is above one the pattern will be too spread out and when it is below one it will pretty much be just one band?

Yeah when the ratio is greater than one, the pattern widens so much that clarity is lost. When below one, you still get diffraction occuring, just not as much (negligible). Just remember that the pattern is clearest when the ratio equals one as laseredd. Am I right in saying this laseredd?
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's correct. Equal or approximately one is when it's clearest I believe. Less than one and it's going to be an negligible extent of diffraction.

Here's a few good youtube videos on a plot of an interference pattern and how it alters as variables are changed:
Double slit - Changing Wavelength
Double slit - changing distance from screen

Wolfram Demos has this on their website: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SingleSlitDiffraction/
You need Mathematica Player (which is free) or Mathematica for that though.

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's correct. Equal or approximately one is when it's clearest I believe. Less than one and it's going to be an negligible extent of diffraction.

Here's a few good youtube videos on a plot of an interference pattern and how it alters as variables are changed:
Double slit - Changing Wavelength
Double slit - changing distance from screen

Wolfram Demos has this on their website: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SingleSlitDiffraction/
You need Mathematica Player (which is free) or Mathematica for that though.

Laseredd = awesome.
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
Laseredd = awesome.

But yeah, I really hope I haven't said anything incorrect. I'd hate to mislead anyone. I've looked over a few different sources and I don't think I've said anything wrong according to them - so hopefully what I've said is correct.

HarveyD

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »
Laseredd = awesome.
+1

defs helped alot, thanks so much :D