Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:06 pm

Author Topic: West Indies v. England 2019  (Read 3762 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
West Indies v. England 2019
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:51 pm »
+2
Been an interesting series so far. Jason Holder being a standout scoring an unbeaten double hundred from number 8 but getting a 1 match ban for slow overrates. Do you think this is fair? He has been warned before. How harsh do you think the ICC needs to be with overrates?

West Indies 2-0 up but England going well after a bad start in the 3rd test.

Ben Stokes was out and had left the ground but they found out that it was a no-ball and was able to come back - only possible due to a recent rule change in 2017 (previously leaving the ground meant you couldn't be recalled back regardless of the circumstances).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:48:09 pm by Sine »

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: West Indies v. England 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:31:20 am »
+2
Been an interesting series so far. Jason Holder being a standout scoring an unbeaten double hundred from number 8 but getting a 1 match ban for slow overrates. Do you think this is fair? He has been warned before. How harsh do you think the ICC needs to be with overrates?

Honestly I think they need to stop being this harsh. Caring so much about slow over rates when all spectators want is a good game of cricket really puts a dampener on the game, especially in this case when you take Holder out for falling two overs short. It doesn't make any sense. Two overs thrown down from a spinner can potentially take 5 minutes - essentially Holder gets punished for being 5 minutes late. Sure, that's not great in other situations being five minutes late, but really the leeway is too small imo, especially when you have the extra half hour of play ie. fit that five minutes in/ or tack it on!.  If you want more on my opinion this article basically says it all http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25923705/jason-holder-slow-ban-just-icc-killjoys-work

Tipping WI to complete the 3-0.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:01 am »
+1
Huge shame Holder is out for this test, as he has forged himself into an iconic player now he has reached rank 1 for allrounders. It also seems to have hurt the Windies for this test as well given their weaker performance. It’s  probably a bit ridiculous that they can hand out over-rate bans when the match is finished in 3 days. I think the same also happened with Faf Du Plessis earlier in the season. I guess it’s the price of having a four-man pace attack.
UAdel MBBS

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:25 am »
+1
Yeah I definitely think slow over-rates should come with run penalties rather than the current system.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:21 am »
+3
I definitely agree with most of the above.  A big argument (as Quantum has mentioned) is that the game was completed in 3 days so it's not like it destroyed the ability to complete the match. Also if the game had continued and England batted for longer it's likely he would've turned to his part-time spinners to bowl a few overs which would've sped things up for the WI. On the other hand, the way the rules are written it was the correct decision but imo It wouldn't be bad to have a little bit of discretion when the outcome is comedic.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:57:49 am »
I definitely agree with most of the above.  A big argument (as Quantum has mentioned) is that the game was completed in 3 days so it's not like it destroyed the ability to complete the match. Also if the game had continued and England batted for longer it's likely he would've turned to his part-time spinners to bowl a few overs which would've sped things up for the WI. On the other hand, the way the rules are written it was the correct decision but imo It wouldn't be bad to have a little bit of discretion when the outcome is comedic.

It's not a good outcome for cricket.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.