Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:22 pm

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 360935 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: The Cricket Thread
« Reply #2145 on: March 29, 2019, 05:47:02 pm »
I would have to say that, despite the comments of the MCC and Ashwin himself, having looked at the footage I can say without a doubt that the ball should have been ruled dead by the third umpire, as Ashwin had pulled out of his bowling stride before taking the bails off. Had he continued in his run-up, Buttler would not have been out of the crease by the time the ball was released. That said, I do accept that a batsman should be liable for attempting to take an unfair advantage, but in this case I do not think that Ashwin did the right thing.

What are other peoples' thoughts on the idea of 3rd umpire over-ruling on-field calls for things like overstepping? I feel like there have been many cases lately of outcry over an incorrect decision of this sort, and I wonder if it would be better to have the 3rd umpire ensuring that all of these decisions are correctly made on the field.
MCC switched and said it was against the "spirit of the game"

no-balls can be quite significant in some respects (in terms of outcome) but the bowler doesn't actual gain that much of an advantage by being a couple mm in front of the crease tbh - and they aren't doing them on purpose. However, in test matches usually the on field umpire will ask the 3rd umpire to check for a no-ball if they are unsure and it is a dismissal.

If you want 3rd umpires making all the decisions it will really disrupt the flow of the game. If they are going this way they should also probably let 3rd umpires check if a batsmen has nicked it and aren't walking (happens more often that you would actually realise - usually the bowler/wk don't even hear it).

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2146 on: November 08, 2019, 03:37:42 pm »
+1
Start to the summer has felt super weird and quiet. Think it's the lack of free-to-air matches.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2147 on: November 10, 2019, 03:59:09 pm »
+2
Start to the summer has felt super weird and quiet. Think it's the lack of free-to-air matches.

Lack of free to air matches may just be the decline of the game, in Australia and other nations. After the World Cup and the Ashes the passion for cricket has apparently been sky-high, but this will inevitably stagnate unless something can keep the momentum going. Hopefully this 'something' is the Hundred.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #2148 on: November 10, 2019, 08:40:11 pm »
+1
These quotes from Steve Smith's Men seem relevant:
The Seven deal was a prime example of CA’s general air of disregard for those they deal with. They were obsessed with topping a billion dollars to stand alongside the AFL and NRL. How to get there wasn’t important. Nine was the stale old-school partner. Network Ten had done the game a service, growing the Big Bash from a joke fluorescent league that no one could watch on pay TV to a summer staple in a world that accepted ‘the Brisbane Heat’ as a reasonable concept. People found a new presentation refreshing, it was free to air, and the viewer average jumped from 236,000 a night to nearly a million on Ten. Now the BBL was successful, CA wanted every dollar back.
Ten went all in: $960 million for the lot. Their secondary channels would broadcast men’s and women’s Big Bash, domestic one-dayers, even the white elephant Sheffield Shield. It could have been an amazing coup for cricket. But you may have noticed that 960 million is less than a billion. So CA signed all the valuable games to Foxtel, as long as a free-to-air partner would simulcast Tests and some BBL.
A tax-exempt body would now privatise its output, making the people who subsidised it pay to watch teams that bore their name. It clearly circumvented anti-siphoning laws that keep national teams on free channels, because technically Seven bought the rights to games it would choose not to screen. The federal government shrugged, because who is the government to stop people making money doing whatever they like? The billion was banked. A month later, news emerged that CA had told Bangladesh not to bother coming for a scheduled Test tour because it would cost too much.

Incidentally, I didn't have a high opinion of Cricket Australia before reading that book, but it certainly lowered my opinion of them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:18:40 pm by turinturambar »
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

s130900

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2149 on: November 10, 2019, 09:04:44 pm »
+3
Thoughts on India making a stadium bigger than the MCG?

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2150 on: November 10, 2019, 09:28:17 pm »
+2
Thoughts on The Hundred?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2151 on: November 29, 2019, 07:01:22 pm »
+1
Thoughts on The Hundred?
It sounds relatively interesting with all those new rules but I dont see how it is much different to any other franchise t20 league. I dont really watch those t20 leagues so definitely not the target audience.

Thoughts on India making a stadium bigger than the MCG?
Where is that stadium going to be and what will the capacity be? :)

Anyone following the current sets of test matches? I didnt really see too much of the 1st AUS/PAK test apart from Babar Azam's 100 (probably the best batsmen to watch in this series). Hopefully this second test is much closer.

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #2152 on: November 29, 2019, 08:38:45 pm »
+1
It sounds relatively interesting with all those new rules but I dont see how it is much different to any other franchise t20 league. I dont really watch those t20 leagues so definitely not the target audience.
My thoughts exactly. It feels like ECB is frustrated that they couldn't exploit the T20 franchise boom that Australia and India profited off and are trying to do something to attract attention away from the successful IPL and BBL.

Anyone following the current sets of test matches? I didnt really see too much of the 1st AUS/PAK test apart from Babar Azam's 100 (probably the best batsmen to watch in this series). Hopefully this second test is much closer.
Babar Azam is a really talented player, he's had a lot of success in international limited overs cricket, hope he continues this trend further into his test cricket career.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2153 on: November 29, 2019, 09:09:10 pm »
+1
My thoughts exactly. It feels like ECB is frustrated that they couldn't exploit the T20 franchise boom that Australia and India profited off and are trying to do something to attract attention away from the successful IPL and BBL.
Babar Azam is a really talented player, he's had a lot of success in international limited overs cricket, hope he continues this trend further into his test cricket career.
Yeah definitely Babar Azam is already the second-best ODI player in the world and has a phenomenal T20I record but just hasn't done that well in Tests so far but still has plenty of time.

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2154 on: December 01, 2019, 05:18:16 pm »
+3
I've heard that they implemented the Hundred to put some cricket on free to air TV. The popularity of cricket in England was dying, until the World Cup and then the Ashes (especially Stokes' innings that rejuvenated the nation). They wanted to piggyback of that boom in interest and a way to do that was to  put cricket on free to air tv. Unfortunately, SKY (premium channel) have the broadcasting rights, so they implemented a new format that could hold the country's interest through FTA television. Just to note, this is just what I've heard and I don't know if it is true

On the topic of Babar Azazm, I think he's played brilliantly in this series - 2 90+ scores in 3 innings while anchoring a crumbling team.

gameboy99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2155 on: July 04, 2020, 07:14:48 pm »
Is there any news if the T20 world cup will be going ahead this year?
2016: Biology [39]
2017: English [39], Chemistry [42], Further [46] Methods (CAS) [41]
ATAR: 95.20

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #2156 on: July 26, 2020, 09:18:49 pm »
+2
Is there any news if the T20 world cup will be going ahead this year?
Postponed to next year mate I think.

ATM they are apparently trying to schedule the IPL before the World Cup which is such a shame.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2157 on: July 29, 2020, 08:46:16 pm »
Did anyone else notice how gorgeous the cover drives were from the West Indies batsmen? So consistent and so aesthetic.

Who's keen for Aus vs Ind? Some of the hype will undoubtedly be gone, but (I'm hoping) it will be a great series!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2158 on: July 29, 2020, 08:59:24 pm »
Who's keen for Aus vs Ind? Some of the hype will undoubtedly be gone, but (I'm hoping) it will be a great series!
YES. I'm always keen for a good old Aus vs Ind match. If India keeps their game up, they're on the way to winning. Australia definitely has the potential to turn it around, I'm excited about the outcome.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #2159 on: July 31, 2020, 06:11:12 pm »
I'm actually keen for an Aus Vs England. If England keep their form and Australia play as well as they did last Ashes, man the 2021 Ashes will be as thrilling as the last.

I reckon Aus and England are the two best test teams in the world atm. India will do great at home in their flat tracks but don't think they are good enough to face Hazlewood/Starc/Cummins/Lyons nor Anderson/Broad/Archer/Stokes anywhere outside India.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!