Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:49:42 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Exam - 31/10/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions  (Read 13607 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
VCE Psychology Exam - 31/10/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
+4

Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions here! To make a post, you will have to be logged in. If you don't yet have an ATAR Notes account, you can register here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:30:23 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Amelie

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Exam - 31/10/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »
When might a median be a more valid statistic than a mean? - are both equally impacted by outliers?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:51:04 pm by Amelie »

Amelie

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 05:50:32 pm »
Question 38, on psyched 2018 states; ‘Tyson has started drinking alcohol heavily to deal with the stress he is under’ and then asks what 4P factor his heavy drinking relates to – I assumed it was ‘precipitating’ as that would correlate directly to substance use however the answer guide says ‘perpetuating’ – is this because his drinking is a result of precipitating risk being stress – or as such are the factors in the table non binary? ‘Excessive alcohol consumption is an avoidance coping strategy that is likely to inhibit his recovery from the stressors that he is facing’

Amelie

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 05:53:05 pm »
•   Can implicit memories be stored in the cerebral cortex? – specifically the primary motor cortex? Or is it more correct to say that they are all consolidated and stored in the cerebellum? Are there exceptions to this?

Amelie

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 05:53:42 pm »
What is the difference between content limitations as a psychological measure of consciousness in comparison to day dreaming? – is daydreaming a result of poor content limitations?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:12:51 pm »
+5
When might a median be a more valid statistic than a mean? - are both equally impacted by outliers?
Median is better to use when there is a limited amount of data, or when there are many outliers, whereas mean is better to use when scores in a set of data cluster closely around a central score and when there are no outliers.
Both are not equally impacted by outliers.
Most of the time, go for the mean. It is tested the most in psych and median is rarely used. Same with mode, being rarely used.

Question 38, on psyched 2018 states; ‘Tyson has started drinking alcohol heavily to deal with the stress he is under’ and then asks what 4P factor his heavy drinking relates to – I assumed it was ‘precipitating’ as that would correlate directly to substance use however the answer guide says ‘perpetuating’ – is this because his drinking is a result of precipitating risk being stress – or as such are the factors in the table non binary? ‘Excessive alcohol consumption is an avoidance coping strategy that is likely to inhibit his recovery from the stressors that he is facing’
Alcohol use seems to be perpetuating in this circumstance as it is occurring after his stress. If it was occurring before, it may be considered as precipitating his stress. Similar to poor sleep, substance use can be precipitating or perpetuating based on the scenario.

•   Can implicit memories be stored in the cerebral cortex? – specifically the primary motor cortex? Or is it more correct to say that they are all consolidated and stored in the cerebellum? Are there exceptions to this?

Implicit memories are not stored ANYWHERE in the cerebral cortex according to VCE psychology. Implicit procedural memories are stored in the neural pathways between the cerebellum and basal ganglia. For VCAA, just saying they are stored in the cerebellum should be enough. Classically conditioned motor reflexes are also stored here. Classical conditioning involving the conditioning of fear (i.e. Little Albert) is stored in the amygdala. The amygdala is responsible for the consolidation and storage of implicit emotional classically conditioned memories.

What is the difference between content limitations as a psychological measure of consciousness in comparison to day dreaming? – is daydreaming a result of poor content limitations?
Reduced content limitations are a characteristic of daydreaming, an ASC.

it shall be in my best interests that I avoid this thread forever or at least until examiners report comes out
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:55:33 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 12:08:30 pm »
How did everyone go?

I thought I was lowkey difficulty in terms of what the question really wanted from you. I was walking home and just thinking of all the possibilities of what I could have written but didn't. ):
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 12:12:40 pm »
+2
How did everyone go?

I thought I was lowkey difficulty in terms of what the question really wanted from you. I was walking home and just thinking of all the possibilities of what I could have written but didn't. ):
Yeah. I noticed a few questions that seemed a bit ambiguous in terms of what I should write in my response too.
Try to to dwell on what you could have wrote though. It's done now and good job!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 12:13:52 pm »
+2
Hardest psych exam this study design by far. So many multi’s were scuffed. Anyone get n extra copy of the exam by any chance?
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 12:15:23 pm »
Hardest psych exam this study design by far. So many multi’s were scuffed. Anyone get n extra copy of the exam by any chance?

No, ): idk but maybe you can access it online now because it's finished?
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 12:15:57 pm »
Yeah. I noticed a few questions that seemed a bit ambiguous in terms of what I should write in my response too.
Try to to dwell on what you could have wrote though. It's done now and good job!

Thanks, (: good job too

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
What topics were tested mostly? Pretty good range?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 12:16:45 pm »
+1
Your teacher will probably have a copy so you can ask them. However sharing the exam on atar notes is a copyright infringement and is not allowed. As such the exam can't be posted here if anyone does have a copy.
No, ): idk but maybe you can access it online now because it's finished?
It will take many months until it gets published unfortunately
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 12:18:28 pm »
+2
What topics were tested mostly? Pretty good range?

The ten mark question was mainly on Atkinson's model for memory, there was one whole question for learning,

Little stuff on Parkinson's and consciousness from what I can remember. A little bit on stress too

Jashy

• Adventurer
  • [proto-type] E
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 12:35:17 pm »
+1

- median is the most suitable when the data set is skewed (+ve or -ve). Conversely, mean is valid when the data is approximately symmetrical.
- median is not very affected by the presence of outlier(s), while mean is very much affected.

Good Luck
flunked!!!