Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:03 am

Author Topic: QCE English Questions Thread  (Read 34159 times)

Tvisha K

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Re: QCE English Questions Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 09:44:20 pm »
+3
Hey Guy,

I recently attended the QCE ATAR Notes Lectures at QUT and found it really fun.
I was wondering if you guys were gonna make more of those extra text specific guides (eg Macbeth, Frankenstein etc).
My school is currently doing 'The Great Gatsby' and I know at least two more schools which will be doing the text for the Unit 3 assessment.

Cheers,

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 09:23:21 am »
+3
Hi,
I have my first year 12 piece this term. It is a persuasive speech. I am struggling to choose my topic and i have done a lot of research. my teacher said to pick a contentious topic/debate that has been gripping to australian consciousness over the past year. I want to do something and choose a side that has depth to the arguments and will be highly engaging and strong persuasive arguments.

Any ideas on what topic I can choose?
Thanks!  :)

What types of topics are you more interested in?

There's not going to be much point arguing "School strikes for climate enhance students' learning" for example, if you aren't passionate about climate change or if you believe that the school strikes are ineffective tactic. If you believe in what you are saying and actually care about it you'll find the task much easier :)

What have you already identified in your research as not interesting to you?

Hey Guy,

I recently attended the QCE ATAR Notes Lectures at QUT and found it really fun.
I was wondering if you guys were gonna make more of those extra text specific guides (eg Macbeth, Frankenstein etc).
My school is currently doing 'The Great Gatsby' and I know at least two more schools which will be doing the text for the Unit 3 assessment.

Cheers,

Hey Tvishka,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the lecture series! Thank you for attending :)

You'll be pleased to know that there are already plans for a The Great Gatsby text guide - see here for a list of upcoming publications

If either of you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask; I hope this has helped :)

Fatcat20

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 10:32:10 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!
I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment regarding English. English is my worst subject and after talking to my teacher I feel that I will not improve in English, to the point where it will not be calculated in my top five subjects for my final atar. So I now know that English will not count towards my atar, and I am pretty sure of this. I just need to make sure I pass every assessment this year. But I am not sure as to what my 'game plan' should be. I can't drop the subject, but I have to pass it. When it comes around to me studying for my exams and doing my assignments, do I just put enough effort in so that I may pass? Or should I put as much effort as I have put in this year ? (Btw this year I got a B overall for Unit 1 + 2) Thank you everyone for your help!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 02:10:28 pm »
+2

Hi!  Welcome to the forums!  :)

There are definitely people who would strategically plan to spend less time on English but if it were me I'd continue with "business as normal" and there's two reasons for that:
1. It would really stress me out if I didn't have any buffer room for having a mediocre exam day
2. Since its not your raw score but rather how you go compared to the rest of the state that determines your subject score you might be surprised by what your worst subject is. 

Anecdotally, I think people who try to 'game the system' often end up worse as a result. Someone else might have different advice but that's my perspective. 

Good luck :)

Dumdumsim

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 11:15:14 pm »
+1
Hello,
just wondering if atar notes could provide resources on Macbeth.
As on the leaflet of Edunlimited there is a guide resource on Macbeth, i sign up for it but the book is not present.
Just wondering when will the book be out.
Also for the resource of QCE physics as well.
it will be extremely helpful.
thanks.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 09:46:37 am »
+2
Hello,
As on the leaflet of Edunlimited there is a guide resource on Macbeth, i sign up for it but the book is not present.
thanks.
Welcome to the forums :)

I can't speak to when texts will be available but you can get physics help here. If there are any topics you're particularly keen to have resources for let me know & I'll do my best to help.

I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but I hope it helps regardless.

tinglewood

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 06:02:09 pm »
+3
Hi e_grace

Glad I am not doing this topic until next year. Sadly, I have to read the great Gatsby :(

I read some interesting articles the other day on nuclear power in Australia might be interesting
https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/nuclear-power-doesnt-stack-up-says-the-australia-institute/news-story/c1c707ceff532e85de7fa5cd2f3ffb38

Another topic could be mandatory vaccinations. I did mine this year on mandatory detention and found lots of valuable information.

I hope this helps.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 01:02:09 pm »
+1
Hello,
thanks.
Hey there, we will absolutely have the Macbeth Text Guide out in the next couple of weeks! The QCE Physics Notes are also coming soon, and should be out by the end of the year. We'll also make these available on EdUnlimited asap! :)

Hi e_grace

Glad I am not doing this topic until next year. Sadly, I have to read the great Gatsby :(

I read some interesting articles the other day on nuclear power in Australia might be interesting
https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/nuclear-power-doesnt-stack-up-says-the-australia-institute/news-story/c1c707ceff532e85de7fa5cd2f3ffb38

Another topic could be mandatory vaccinations. I did mine this year on mandatory detention and found lots of valuable information.

I hope this helps.

These are really awesome suggestions - thank you tinglewood! :D

I hope Great Gatsby isn't too much of a slog for you, haha! There are some great lines in that book that are kinda fun to analyse! And it'd be an amazing text to use as the basis for your creative internal assessment if possible :D

EmilyJohns

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 10:47:03 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!
Last week I go my english assignment which poses the task to write a digital essay analysing the representation of the American Dream across both Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and the documentary Park Avenue, Money, Power and the American Dream.  We have to pick one concept to focus our analysis on and I am trying to decide between class and power. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on or tips on two concepts to help me come to a decision.
Thanks!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 09:58:27 am »
+6
Hi everyone!
Last week I go my english assignment which poses the task to write a digital essay analysing the representation of the American Dream across both Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and the documentary Park Avenue, Money, Power and the American Dream.  We have to pick one concept to focus our analysis on and I am trying to decide between class and power. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on or tips on two concepts to help me come to a decision.
Thanks!
Hi Emily!

That sounds like a great assignment, and tbh either of those two topics would be excellent starting points. In general, I think 'power' would be a more broad focal point and would let you talk about a wider range of ideas (e.g. how disempowerment can affect societies, or how being beholden to others allows them to have power over you - like Daisy over Gatsby and Myrtle over Tom, and maybe even Gatsby over Nick). This would certainly let you touch on themes like class disparity too, but you wouldn't be limited to just that.

On the other hand, class is more specific and could be better if you have LOTS of examples that are related to class/wealth/society. It also sounds like that documentary is more focused on class, so this might be a more suitable choice if you'd prefer something that's a key focus in both texts.

Perhaps just make some dot point lists for both texts about the major concepts and examples you would want to refer to in your digital essay, and then you can survey the lists and decide what is most relevant to you.

Personally, I think power is a more interesting theme in Gatsby that lets you look at a bunch of interesting elements of the novel, but it sounds like class would be more appropriate given your text combination, and it would also probably allow you to craft a more focused essay, so that would be my recommendation :)

Good luck with your assignment!

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:10 am »

Hi,

I'm extremely nervous about my external exam that is coming up. It's an unseen analytical exam in response to Hamlet but I struggle a lot more with unseen exams than I do with seen exams. Do you have any advice of how I can prepare for the exam? And possibly how to remember quotes for an unseen question?

Thank you :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

jasmine383

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2020, 11:05:06 pm »
+2
Hi everyone, I'm new here so hopefully this works   :) (crossing my fingers)
This year I have an extended response essay assignment for Grade 12 using George Orwell's '1984' as a set text. So basically, you get to choose a dystopian film of your choice and analyse the ways in which power + control are established and maintained and their relevance to contemporary audiences. You had to focus your analyses on one of the four topics given and I chose 'human as the enemy'.
The problem is that I'm finding that idea really hard to conceptualise but I have linked it to dehumanisation . Would you mind havinng a look at my ideas for this 1000-1500 word paper?  :) Thank you soo so much!!!

Intro:
Central to dystopian literature is the obstacle of humanity to the autocracy. In these paradoxical societies, often headed by a hegemonic body, humans are problematic, as the inborn humanity causes humans to inconveniently attempts to free oneself from their state of captivity by the system of control. In both ‘1984’ and ‘The Matrix’, absolute power is established and maintained entirely on the precept that ‘humans are the enemy’; hence, they should be dehumanized in order for the superior body to possess absolute power over an ignorant and credulous mass. This is obtained through the control of one’s perception of reality, conscious and subconscious, and the manipulation of the physical body, revealed through literary and stylistic devices, so that humans are unable and unwilling to dissent.
‘The Matrix’, a 1999 film written by the Wachowskis to question the authenticity of virtual realities, describes a world in which reality as perceived by humans is rather, a ‘computer-generated dream world’ built to subdue the human body politic while their electrical energy is harvested for the perpetuation of sentient machines. By regulating every aspect of their lives, including their biological processes and conditioning them to the delusion of their reality, obedience is instinctive and even voluntary and the human potential is successfully perverted. Similarly, written in 1949 by Orwell as an indictment of the totalitarian regimes of the 20th century, ‘1984’ demonstrates that “power is power over human beings, over the body – but above all, over the mind,” (277) through the subjugation of the outer party member like Winston physically, but more importantly, mentally. Undoubtedly, both texts offer a timely warning, particularly in this new decade with the... (I need to finish this sentence ;D)

Ideas for body:

I decided to break point 1 into a few concepts      
Point 1: Looking at aspects of how reality is controlled which distorts how a person views the world - an effective method of control
   - This is done through the removal of history
      ○ In 1984, the past is alterable. They are not allowed to know a world different to theirs so that they are unable to compare their state of living to something better and therefore, do not dissent.
         * Pg.267
         * Pg.272
      ○ In the Matrix, the people don't see that they're world is a tinge of green because they've never experienced anything different
   - This is also done through the manipulation of subconscious reality - dreams and memory
      ○ In 1984, The Party does not like dreams as they create an understanding of Winston's past and his deepest emotions manifested. All the instances with his mother and sister, the golden country, and the dark haired girl reveal a past or imagined world that is better than his - this cannot be allowed. O'Brien twists these dreams and ensures Winston believes they are false - use quote at end of the book.

○ In the Matrix, one never really knows if they are in a dream. For instance, there is one scene where Neo continually wakes up to a dream a few times. There is also that scene when the agents place a bug in his bellybutton and he wakes up thinking it is a dream but it is in fact reality, The AI do a better job at creating reality and humans.

- This is also done through doublethink
      ○ It is a play on thought and used to justify binary opposites like war and peace
      ○ It is extremely difficult to decipher between truth and lies which makes it so scary. In Oceania, individuals are (find quote) not anchored but floating around living an entirely subjective world. Reality is whatever the party says it is.
      ○ Unlike 1984 which uses a known tool, the Matrix itself contains rules that are subconsciously followed. For instance, gravity can be bent but when one falls, the human brain thinks it is real. In the same way, taste of food is a code and is really artificial unlike how the mind conceives it. Neo is only able to beat Agent Smith when he learns to subvert the implied rules (time, speed, gravity) in the Matrix.

Dehumanisation through biopower
   - Mention sex and control of sexuality and how the party outlaws such expression of emotion
      ○ In the Matrix, mouse mentions that we cannot deny our impulses as it is a part of being a human.
   - More importantly, the physical repression and disembodiment of the human. Humans are the enemy and must be dehumanised?
      ○ In 1984, Winston is disembodied, he is animalised and referred to as an empty cavity - denoting his humanity is gone and all that remains is a shell which is to be filled with the party. He becomes a stranger to himself.

○ In The Matrix, humans according to Agent Smith are like parasites and are hated by AI. They have become a source of biopower and in turn controlled by biopower. They are kept in sacs their whole life connected by electrical cords to the matrix and the source - they are utterly disposable.

Relevance to today:
   - Today we are constantly under control - our lives becoming more and more dependent on technology especially in a time when physical connection is limited. Not only is this dangerous but when we become so reliant on technology - what happens if it suddenly crashes?  (maybe not include)
   - Additionally we are bombarded daily with fake news, clickbait and access to millions of information - how can we be judicious about what is truth and what is lies.
   - Another idea central to the making of the matrix is how mutable our online profiles are - how can we tell if others are real or lies.
   - Are we becoming inextricably tied to the online reality (of social media, gaming worlds)?

Really would appreciate any help  ;D

Thanks

s110820

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 06:40:08 am »
+4
Hi Jasmine!

I would be more than happy to help. I'll put your paper into a Word Document, and then I'll annotate your paper by giving you advice and comments about your concept. Hopefully that helps :)

Kind Regards,

Darcy Dillon

jasmine383

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2020, 06:20:17 pm »
+1
Hi Jasmine!

I would be more than happy to help. I'll put your paper into a Word Document, and then I'll annotate your paper by giving you advice and comments about your concept. Hopefully that helps :)

Kind Regards,

Darcy Dillon

Hey Darcy, thank you SO much!!! Really appreciate it  :)

s110820

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 11:49:52 am »
Hi Jasmine!

I'm just working through editing, proofreading and adding suggestions to your assignment at the moment. I am aiming to get it back to you by the end of the day if possible as I am also trying to juggle my own Year 12 work. If not, then I sincerely apologise for the delay - I am going to get it back to you as soon as possible. And also, when I do send it back to you, if you do have any questions, queries or concerns about the feedback I have given you, please don't hesitate to contact me via private messages on the ATAR Notes website or through my email: [email protected]

Thank you and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.