Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:58:51 pm

Author Topic: Talic's Year 12 Diary  (Read 3204 times)

talic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
Re: Talic's Year 12 Diary
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 08:22:16 am »
+1
Hey Talic!

So good to see that you are going amazing in all of your subjects! (Even better that there are no SACs around the corner ;D)

First of all, there is absolutely no way that this journal would be boring :P. It's always good to see different perspectives of everyone's lives, so it will always be interesting in some way!
Currently finding VCE much easier than last year. (I don't really know why but it's working). Fav subject right now would probably be Methods as it is the most chill, followed by PDT :D

Thanks for updating Talic and can't wait for the next update! Do you have any events in the future you are looking forward too?

Ummm woohoo it's my 200th post?

Hello! Thank you for commenting^^ (and congrats for your 200th post!!)

I'm glad you find it interesting! It's great you're finding it easier than last year (I just saw your score in Methods! That's incredible!)

Currently, I don't have too many things I'm looking forward to, as sad as that sounds.  I'm happy just to chill out for a bit before any of my SACs start up.

Hope you have a great and productive week :)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 05:55:45 pm »
+1
Literature - my LEAST favourite subject right now! We're doing Plath's Ariel poems and I find them so difficult to understand and analyse blehrblg. Just handed in an essay on that today though, so I'm hoping I do pretty well! (It's not assessed or anything, I just worked harder on it than I usually would haha.)
Yeah, at first I was so confused about what Sylvia Plath was talking about. I'm still concerned about what was going on in her mind when she wrote these poems lol. Something that might help you understand them may be looking up analyses of her poems or even close analyses. You'll also be exposed to other people's interpretations which may help form your analysis. Another thing that helped me was just annotating the poems with whatever I noticed, however bizarre or far fetched they seemed, sometimes it felt unnecessary but you never know, you could combine it with another point and build up the analysis.

How is everyone else doing? Sorry if these journals are boring to read - I'm still trying to find the way I want to do these and make them interesting. If you're doing VCE, how are you finding it? What is your favourite subject?
No, not at all! They're not boring at all! I'm continuously checking the VCE Journal Thread to see if anyone has posted, maybe a bit too much. So, keep those journal entries coming!  ;D I really love reading them! VCE is going... it could be better. Like, way better. My favourite subject is probably Literature even though it's probably my worst subject.

Anyways, I hope you have a great week, talic!
 ;D ;D

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 08:14:32 pm »
+6
23/02/20

Welcome back, everyone! Guess who's finally posting on the right day!

Let's just jump into the week:

Further Maths - As per usual, this was pretty chill. We're just doing annuities and finance stuff.
Literature - This class, however, is not as chill. If you tuned in last week, you guys would know I had to write an essay. I did it and worked really hard on it, but when my teacher gave it back, she firstly accused me of plagiarising a sentence because it seemed like 'a sixteen-year-old girl like yourself couldn't write it,' and then when I told her I did, she was like 'Oh, maybe you got smart.' Like what?? Got smart?? I was so taken aback that I just nodded, but I don't think she should have said that at all because it was basically insinuating that I was dumb before, and only 'smart' for one sentence that I still think she thinks I stole. :/
Chinese SL - Chinese is a complete mess. I have my Oral SAC in two days and I have to memorise two four-minute scripts by tomorrow. It's 8:03 p.m. now. I know it was my faults that put myself into this mess, but let's just say I'm going to be trying to memorise the 'Disadvantages of Youth Drinking' for most of the night. I'm really nervous about this SAC because my spoken Chinese is my worst element of SL Chinese. My tones and fluency are both subpar, and the other two people doing it with me are both better than me as one of them goes to Chinese school and speaks it at home, and the other is fluent in listening in Chinese, but not very good at reading/writing. Basically I'm the worst out of all of them, so I'm probably going to be ranked last the entire year, but on the flipside, honestly, I'd be happy to score above a 21 in this subject so the grade doesn't really matter to me.
Psychology - Psych is pretty boring tbh. I'm behind on keeping up to date with my notes, so I need to catch up over this week as I have my SAC in a fortnight (i think??)
Global Politics - - Global is alright, we are just doing the ICC. It's still my favourite subject right now, but I'm dreading when it;s going to get complicated ahaha.

Favourite subject right now: I guess still Global??
Least favourite subject right now: Hmmm, probably still Literature, and not just because of my teacher.
Something I'm excited for this week: Getting my SAC over and done with.
Any SAC's or tests this week: Chinese Persuasive Oral on 25th (eek!) I need to start memorising!!
Homework: A lot honestly, I had a productive day yesterday then I did nothing today^^

At my school, we had our final swimming carnival. It's a tradition for the Year 12's to jump into the pool at the end, and although it was a fun day, on the bus ride home I lowkey had an existential crisis about how this was my final year, growing up, me still not having a job etc. I hope I can move past these thoughts and live in the present instead!!

Thank you for reading. Next week I'm going to write about my study score predictions and hopes! Stay safe and have a good week <3

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 09:10:08 pm »
+6
1/03/20

Hello everyone!

This is going to be short because I'm tired ahaha.

My Chinese SAC was very strange! It was moved to Friday, and on Wednesday we had a practice one that would be recorded and stuff and set out like the real one. I got the topic I wanted and had a few minutes to prepare but as soon as I got in and my teacher started to record, I freaked out and forgot everything, and cried in front of him and then I cried again in front of my friends and thee whole year level because it was lunchtime and I broke down ahaha. Not a good day. Thankfully, the real one went a lot better - I got the topic I didn't know as well though, so I paused a few times to think of my sentence, but it's better than crying so overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Further Maths - This is going alright - it's very chill but I have a SAC on Wed/Thurs/Fri this week and I haven't really started studying yet?? I did two practice SACs and one of them I fluked and got an 86% and the one i did today didn't go as well as all my answers were off by one or two numbers?? Like if the answer was 1065.43 I got 1064.89?? And because there are only four questions with a million parts to each of them, if I got the answer wrong in part a), it meant all my answers were wrong because you reuse your answers and stuff. So that's a bit infuriating.
Literature - Have given up on this subject tbh cbs, still dislike my teacher and i haven't read the book because I'm an idiot. This whole class is just me being stupid and lazy and I don't even care anymore so it's a great mindset I have here,
Chinese SL - Well, cried in my mock SAC as I said before then will get a C (hopefully a low B but don't think so) in my real one so it's pretty chill.
Psychology - Like Literature, I have given up in this subject as well although it is supposed to be my top one oops. This week I'm going to pull my head out of my ass and finally catch up on all the notes I've missed out on because this is a subject I need to actually take seriously because I'm aiming high.
Global Politics - It's chill - A lot of the time I'm not sure how to approach an analytical question and I don't think I've fully got the hang of answering them all yet, but similar to Revs, I think I'll get better in no time :)

Favourite subject right now: Still Global
Least favourite subject right now: It was Chinese for a hot minute but it's back to Literature bleh
Something I'm excited for this week: the weekend
Any SAC's or tests this week: Yes, Practice Global on Tuesday, Real Further Maths one on Wed/Thurs/Fri.
Homework: A lot that I haven't done whoops.

I know this week has sounded like a real bummer and tbh it kinda was. I haven't been sleeping great and all my Psych bois know the GAS stage three of exhaustion is going to kick my ass soon if I don't get eight hours of sleep tonight. I know I said I was going to do study score predictions, but maybe they'll be more accurate after this Further SAC ahaha.

Thanks for reading everyone, I hope we both have a great week. :)

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 09:08:53 pm »
+5
9/03/20

Hello again!

This week was pretty tiring - I had my Further Maths SAC on Wed/Thurs/Fri, but I'll get into more detail about that later. We just learnt about Selye's General Admission Syndrome and the Exhaustion stage hit me like a brick because I've been sick over the whole long weekend :(

Anyway, let's get into it!

Further Maths - ALRIGHTY I had my first SAC (apart from Chinese, but as that was an oral it doesn't really count as a first SAC??) It was split over three lessons and covered the topic of Finance. The first part was pretty hard, but I finished exactly n time and didn't feel too bad about my answers. The second part I found way harder and although I finished, I'm not confident in my answers so that's a bit of a rip. And the third part was way easy? I've probably made a dumb mistake though ahah. Overall, Finance wasn't that bad, but I think my next topic is measurement and IDK why but I was never taught simple maths as a kid like shapes/what the hell a meter was, so it;s literally my worst topic which won't be fun.
Literature - GUESS WHAT GUYS!! LITERATURE IS NO LONGER MY OFFICIAL LEAST FAVOURITE SUBJECT! After getting slightly less intimidated by my teacher (although she says the craziest things sometimes) and as we've started out second text, North and South, the classes have been chill, because my teacher talks so much we literally get nothing done. I had some homework from it this weekend and it was pretty hard, just a Marxist analysis thing I'm pretty bad at, but I'll try to fix it tomorrow morning.
Chinese SL - I honestly could not tell you what's going on here. The Year Eleven's in my combined class are about to do a presentation or something and as we (the three Year Twelve's ahah) don't have it as a SAC we're just doing these bullshit way too hard reading comprehension questions about random markets in China.
Psychology - Very chill as per usual. Because my SAC isn't for another fortnight, I literally had not been paying attention in class/taking it seriously, so I had like three straight hours of notes to type up today and it was torture.
Global Politics - We're studying ISIS now and it;s alright. On top of the work, and we had this practice question we had to answer and I thought I would get a two out of six because I had no idea what was going on, but I actually got a five?? Maybe I'm a little better at this subject than I thought? We did a practice SAC on Tuesday and I'll probably get it back tomorrow, so hopefully, I didn't do too bad on that lol. (However, I also forgot what global governance was so idk.)

Favourite subject right now: Maybe Global?
Least favourite subject right now: Surprisingly, I don't have one! (This week ahah)
Something I'm excited for this week: Um, I guess finding out what I'm doing in math although I think it's measurement rip.
Any SAC's or tests this week: NOPE But the week after and the one after that are looking terrible :/
Homework: Um, I already did all my homework? But I had to write a page of notes for Global, Type up half the term's content for psychology and do this Literature passage anaysis thig and of course my dumbass left them all to do today.

As I think I promised last time, here are my Study Score Predictions!! (And wishes because let's be realistic here)
I'm aiming for an 88 ATAR, but tbh don't think I'll get it?? So I'm not expecting too much.
Further Maths - Alright I am hoping for a 34, but I  think I'll get a 33 as I'll probably think a parallelogram in a trapezium or something like that (don't even @ me lol, I always do bad on Math exams which is especially bad when it;s 66% of the grade)
Literature -Hmmm, because I'm ranked low in my class, I am hoping for a 34, but think I'll get a 33 again tbh. Honestly, I should have just done English and dealt with the oral and shit because I think I could get a 36 smh.
Chinese SL - I predict a 22! I'd be happy with this because I want to beat this girl last year who got a 21, so I think I can do it!
Psychology - Ok so this is aiming high, but I really was a 40+ in at least one subject and Psychology is that subject so... do I think I'll get it? No, I think I'll get a 38 tbh, but I need to work hard in this, hence why I just typed up all my notes yeet.
Global Politics - Hmmm, I predict a 36 and I'd be happy with that.

I know these predictions/wants won't get me to an 88 ATAR, but I'm just going to try my best and see how it goes :)

See you again soon!

Talic

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 09:31:04 pm »
Heyoo! Is there a specific reason for the 88 ATAR?? Also, do you have a course in mind that you’d like to do?
Best of luck with all your goals! :D
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 03:15:19 pm »
+3
Heyoo! Is there a specific reason for the 88 ATAR?? Also, do you have a course in mind that you’d like to do?
Best of luck with all your goals! :D

Hey! I don't really have an idea of what I want to do, but maybe Information Technology/Arts could be interesting? If I want to go to Monash then I need an 88 for that haha. Thank you for commenting :))

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 08:27:11 pm »
+4
17/03/20

Hey guys! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Further Maths - Got my SAC back and got an 81% I'm pretty happy with that haha
Literature - Very chill rn, we are just watching our movie we're analysing.
Chinese SL - Got a B for my oral on alcohol and I opp. Pretty chill with that ahahha. Have a SAC on Thursday though yeet.
Psychology - AHHAA this  is a joke Iam failing rip myself the 40+ is gone just like my motivation
Global Politics - not too bad but have a Practice SAC tmrw

Due to Coronavirus, my school is going to switch to online classes. My literature SAC and my Global SAC have both been postponed to next term which is a bit of a bummer. Hopefully, I'll be able to do my Psych SAC this week though!

Favourite subject right now: Maybe Global??
Least favourite subject right now: Psychology :(((
Something I'm excited for this week:   Nothing ahahah
Any SAC's or tests this week: Chinese Listening + Reading on 19th and Psychology on 20th.
Homework: Yes, that i haven't done oops.

Sorry this one was so short! I'm pretty tired today ahaha. Sorry for the late entry! <3

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 04:14:03 pm »
+5
25/03/20

Ahhhh, sorry I haven't updated this!

Things for everyone are pretty hectic right now with Coronavirus (COVID-19) and I know I'm definitely not in the worst position as it's not like I'm facing business closure or unemployment, but I think everyone doing Year 12 is a bit nervous for the whole thing? Like I know my issues are not as large as others and everything, but I am a little bit concerned about what is going to happen with VCE and ATAR and stuff. Like let's say we don't get to go back to school for six months and we all fail VCE, it's not like 50,000 students or whatever can all redo Year 12 or anything.

Hopefully, it won't get to that, because I can admit that's pretty pessimistic thinking,  hahaha.

My school switched to online now, so for the rest of the week, I have classes via Microsoft Teams or something.

It's pretty funny and I get to wake up at 8:30/not waste two and a half hours of my day on public transport, but even though I don't do any extra-circulars and my whole life wasn't cancelled like many others were, the loneliness is already starting to kick in a little? IDK I called one of my friends for 2 hours last night so that really lifted my spirits and everything :)

To recap - I had my Chinese Listening and Writing SAC which I COMPLETELY screwed up the listening segment because I'm an idiot and I got 1/15 I think?? Oops, but honestly don't really care shah. Writing went much better and hopefully, it'll pull my grade to a C from how terribly listening went. Psychology SAC went better than Chinese, I'm hoping for a 40+ in this subject, but honestly, I didn't study as hard as I should off. I might be able to get a 90% on this? I'm not unconfident so when I get the mark I'll tell you guys :)

Further Maths - This one's alright - just doing dot plots or whatever
Literature - This online class is by far going the worse. My teacher is three lessons behind the plan and yet tomorrow we're doing practice essay SAC on stuff and ideas we haven't even discussed. It's going exponentially badly, but it's also chill?
Chinese SL - It's going alright, not too much is going on just learning words about social media or whatever
Psychology - This one is actually one I have to focus/do work in because it is also the only one the teachers got together and made a plan for. We've moved onto models for learning and stuff, but there's always hella homework for it.
Global Politics - This one is a bit off an odd one. At first, there were many technical problems and stuff, but now, since we were supposed to do our SAC tomorrow if school had stayed as normal, we're just awkwardly studying for a SAC that may be months away and not moving on to the next topic. Meh.

Favourite subject right now: Maybe Chinese? It's pretty chill, but my class is struggling to get a detailed study topic ahaha
Least favourite subject right now: Literature in terms of how it;s going because  we're so behind, but Psych because it's boring
Something I'm excited for this week: Maybe calling my friends??
Any SAC's or tests this week: Nope
Homework: I have a practice Lit SAC tomorrow so I need to find my main ideas tonight.

Overall I'm not finding online lessons too bad, but I didn't expect to feel so isolated from everyone. The first day was the most shocking if I can even call it that.

Please, everyone, stay safe! Social distancing is extremely important to flatten the curve, so do your best to distance yourself from other people, especially those most at risk such as ill people or the elderly. Wash your hands and I'll come back next week!! <3