Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 05:50:52 am

Author Topic: Study Score of 40+ in English Language  (Read 17037 times)  Share 

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
Re: STUDY SCORE OF 40+ IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 12:59:14 pm »
Would this same advice apply for english?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 01:16:24 pm »
+1
Would this same advice apply for english?

Some apsects of it but not all of it.
For example, written expression and practising that is also highly important for English, however, English doesn't use much metalanguage at all whereas EL has a strong focus on it. Additionally, in EL it is important to collect contemporary examples of language use for our essays but that's not a requirement for English.
I'd recommend going to the English subforum and looking at the advice they have there

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
Some apsects of it but not all of it.
For example, written expression and practising that is also highly important for English, however, English doesn't use much metalanguage at all whereas EL has a strong focus on it. Additionally, in EL it is important to collect contemporary examples of language use for our essays but that's not a requirement for English.
I'd recommend going to the English subforum and looking at the advice they have there

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 01:14:03 am »
After the exam VCAA changes what your SAC scores mean based on how your class did on the exam (go to https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0 for moe info). This makes it very difficult to predict what percentages you'll need.

For me, getting an A in the first SAC and B+ in the next two ended up becoming an A+ for unit 3. (This was in the DECV cohort)

If you want 45+ you'll need to end up with A+ in unit 3 SACs, unit 4 SACs and the exam. The A+s would also need to be in the top range of A+s, if you just scraped an A+ for all of them you won't hit your goal.

Congratulations of your first post and welcome to atarnotes!!! :)
Good luck for your studies :)
Thanks a lot! So it's that hard!!  :o Congratulations on your Atar!!

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 08:33:13 pm »
+1
Thanks a lot! So it's that hard!!  :o Congratulations on your Atar!!

I wouldn't get caught in grades. I can assure you that they will scale - I definitely didn't remotely A+ all my sacs throughout the year. Just work your hardest and it will pay off :) If your teacher is a harsh marker, this will be accounted for in the SAC moderation process by VCAA.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »
I wouldn't get caught in grades. I can assure you that they will scale - I definitely didn't remotely A+ all my sacs throughout the year. Just work your hardest and it will pay off :) If your teacher is a harsh marker, this will be accounted for in the SAC moderation process by VCAA.
Yes, definitely!! Very true!
Thanks so much!! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

tinkerbell101

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 11:07:22 pm »
Hey everybody,

This question goes out to mainly past eng. lang. students, but is of course, open to everybody. I was just wondering how much time I should spend per day doing English? This could be study or just revising over metalanguage. I really need to improve in my eng, lang, and want to do as much as I can without burning out. I want to do a bit every day, even if its very small. Thank you so much to everybody for all your replies, i will most deifnetely take on your advice and appreciate it so much.  :) :D 8)

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 05:05:58 pm »
+1
Hey everybody,

This question goes out to mainly past eng. lang. students, but is of course, open to everybody. I was just wondering how much time I should spend per day doing English? This could be study or just revising over metalanguage. I really need to improve in my eng, lang, and want to do as much as I can without burning out. I want to do a bit every day, even if its very small. Thank you so much to everybody for all your replies, i will most deifnetely take on your advice and appreciate it so much.  :) :D 8)

In my opinion, metalanguage is important but not that hard to learn. I would say aim for 1-2 analytical commentaries or 3-4 short answers per week at this point in time plus metalanguage revision outside that unless there is a SAC, in which case you would do more.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

TheAspiringDoc

Re: Study Score of 40+ in English Language
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 05:53:46 pm »
In my opinion, metalanguage is important but not that hard to learn. I would say aim for 1-2 analytical commentaries or 3-4 short answers per week at this point in time plus metalanguage revision outside that unless there is a SAC, in which case you would do more.
^^wait... we should be doing ACs ALREADY?!

Mod edit - decapitalised title
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:57:55 pm by K888 »

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 09:05:27 pm »
+4

Hmm, well maybe not full ones right now. I definitely didn't do full ACs on such a regular basis, let alone so early in the year! I think what's best is to practice ACs and essays with paragraphs first, then slowly getting to full essays. Right now, I recommend annotating your AC text as best and detailed as you can (doesn't have to be under timed conditions right now) and then doing a practice AC intro and first paragraph. Don't stress yourself out so early on! ;D
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
+2

Mod edit - decapitalised title

No sorry- only do what you have been taught (If you get taught ACs towards the beginning of the year, then you can obviously do that - or if you recall it from 1/2). The person I was replying to wanted to do some EngLang everyday so I gave advice on that basis. You don't have to do EngLang everyday though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:58:08 pm by K888 »