Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:28 pm

Author Topic: VCE Global Politics Question Thread  (Read 32949 times)  Share 

NavyBlues9

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Global Politics Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 04:32:59 pm »
Hi, in regards to people movement as a ethical issue what are some good international laws to use? Thanks

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 06:20:43 pm »
+2
Hi, in regards to people movement as a ethical issue what are some good international laws to use? Thanks

Hi there, these were the two examples I used last year for people movement:

United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees (CRSR), 1951
    > Article 22: access to education
    > Article 31: No punishment for illegal entry
    > Article 33: Non-refoulement

International Convention on the Protection of Rights of Migrant Workers (CMR), 2003
For undocumented workers
    > Article 8 - 15: Basic freedoms
    > Article 25 - 28: Employment rights
For documented workers
    > Article 40: Employment rights
    > Article 41: Political rights

Hope that helps.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 09:55:43 pm »
To what extent are we allowed to cite sources which have a heavy left/right bias? I've been doing that for SACs but I'm not sure if that's recommended for the exam? Thanks.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

Hala119

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if there was anywhere I could see sample essays on ethical issues. My teacher says my analysis is great but i need to work on my connections to the contention/topic and topic and linking sentences, which i’m confused on how to do.

Thanks in advance!

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 04:40:29 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if there was anywhere I could see sample essays on ethical issues. My teacher says my analysis is great but i need to work on my connections to the contention/topic and topic and linking sentences, which i’m confused on how to do.

Thanks in advance!

Try searching them up in the 'notes' tab of this site. Here's a couple I found:
https://atarnotes.com/note/ethical-debates-essay/https://atarnotes.com/note/human-rights-ethical-debates-essay/

with making links between your analysis and your contention, I think it's helpful to structure my essays as follows: "[analysis and evidence]. Hence, it is evident that [contention]". Hope you find this helpful.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

agitator.gop

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2019, 10:34:37 am »
Has anyone completed both Australian Politics and Global Politics for Units 3&4? If so, any advice/help or just general knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
I am completing Australian Politics next year on distance, and to my knowledge, there isn't anyone else at my school that has ever done this.

Hala119

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2019, 11:54:49 am »
Hi!

I was wondering what an international law for 'International security versus state security' for 'arms control' ethical issue would be?

Thanks in advance!

hello876

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 01:28:46 am »
Hi, I am really confused about the 'analyse' task word. Is it similar to evaluate because I keep hearing different things about how to answer it.

In the question 'Analyse one factor that has shaped the national interest of international standing for your chosen Asia-Pacific state' I am really confused about how to analyse it - do I explain how and why a factor has shaped international standing and then to a degree how this factor hasn't shaped it?

Basically I'm just confused on if analyse requires a counter argument and how would I go about answering the question above?

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 10:32:05 am »
Hi, I am really confused about the 'analyse' task word. Is it similar to evaluate because I keep hearing different things about how to answer it.

In the question 'Analyse one factor that has shaped the national interest of international standing for your chosen Asia-Pacific state' I am really confused about how to analyse it - do I explain how and why a factor has shaped international standing and then to a degree how this factor hasn't shaped it?

Basically I'm just confused on if analyse requires a counter argument and how would I go about answering the question above?

No need to bring up counter arguments for ‘analyse’ unless the question says something such as ‘analyse the extent to which a factor help shape the national interest of international standing’.

hello876

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 08:04:02 pm »
No need to bring up counter arguments for ‘analyse’ unless the question says something such as ‘analyse the extent to which a factor help shape the national interest of international standing’.

Ok thank you!

Hala119

• Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:17 pm »
Hi ! How much time should you spend on writing the essay in the exam. I can probably only get it to 40 minutes even though my teacher recommended 30 mins. Is this possible to complete the exam if I write the essay in 40 mins?

hello876

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 12:01:02 am »
Hi, I am confused with how I would answer this question:
Explain how a global actor’s perspective has determined its view of how justice can be achieved in relation to one ethical issue.

Is justice for this question what the global actor views as morally right? And do I have to bring in international laws or can I leave them out?

I get confused on the difference between ethics and justice, is ethics just the general range of ideologies/moralities actors can have e.g cosmopolitan and realism, and justice is similar but more of what is morally right?

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 12:49:16 am »
+2
Quote from: Hala119
Hi ! How much time should you spend on writing the essay in the exam. I can probably only get it to 40 minutes even though my teacher recommended 30 mins. Is this possible to complete the exam if I write the essay in 40 mins?

30 minutes is the recommended time (the essay is 20 marks and the suggested time allocation is 1.5 minutes per mark). I would recommend writing your essay in 30 minutes then if you have more time at the end you can expand on any points as necessary. Though honestly if you do have time left, prioritise short answer (unless you wrote a really rough draft for your essay) because it’s easier to get marks from SA than your extended response.

Quote from: hello876
Hi, I am confused with how I would answer this question:
Explain how a global actor’s perspective has determined its view of how justice can be achieved in relation to one ethical issue.

Is justice for this question what the global actor views as morally right? And do I have to bring in international laws or can I leave them out?

I get confused on the difference between ethics and justice, is ethics just the general range of ideologies/moralities actors can have e.g cosmopolitan and realism, and justice is similar but more of what is morally right?

Justice is basically the idea of how to implement ethics in practice. An important part of justice is how to punish a party when ethics are undermined. Also, ethics (in VCE global politics) refer strictly to cosmopolitan ideology, it does not encompass realism.

Mentioning international laws would be useful in this case.

elenacatherine

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 10:08:49 am »
hi guys...

so with essay topic for the unit 4 areas of study, it can either ask you to talk about one/at least one/two ethical issues or global crises

if in the exam it asked you to talk about two crises (mine are armed conflict and terrorism) and i wanted to focus more heavily on armed conflict, would it be fine if my discussion about terrorism revolved around the use of terrorism as an instrument of state policy only. this is in the study design under terrorism however my teacher has said that it might not be clear enough that i am talking about two crises

thank you!

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 10:56:00 am »
+2
hi guys...

so with essay topic for the unit 4 areas of study, it can either ask you to talk about one/at least one/two ethical issues or global crises

if in the exam it asked you to talk about two crises (mine are armed conflict and terrorism) and i wanted to focus more heavily on armed conflict, would it be fine if my discussion about terrorism revolved around the use of terrorism as an instrument of state policy only. this is in the study design under terrorism however my teacher has said that it might not be clear enough that i am talking about two crises

thank you!

As long as you make it clear in 1) your introduction; 2) your body paragraphs; and 3) your conclusion that you are focusing on terrorism and armed conflict it will be fine. You can chuck in a brief sentence in your intro such as “this essay specifically looks at the usage of terrorism as an instrument of state policy” or something like that to make it even clearer. There’s no rule that says you must focus on both equally.