Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:24:47 am

Author Topic: HSC Maths Extension 1 - 04/11/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 4668 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions for Maths Extension 1 here!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 04:27:06 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AHafza

• Adventurer
Any solutions guys ?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Any solutions guys ?
I have class until 2PM. I can start writing up some solutions around then

AHafza

• Adventurer
Thanks your a legend

jenjennie

• Adventurer
So.... does anyone have any ideas on the E4 cut-off? Or what around a high 80s would scale up to?

EDIT: after looking at solutions I got 89 raw. It's just that I did the k, k+1 thing in Q13 really weird (I did it via greatest coefficient) so idk if they'll take a mark off, I mean I got the answer but I doubt it was a very ideal way of working. So maybe an 87 if that's another mark gone. Then again, maybe an 86 because I didn't explain the one intersection point thing very well (I was just like yeah look at the graph, I didn't have none of that increasing decreasing x>k etc. etc. stuff lmfaooooooo)

From school rank I'm in the B6 range so it's just hoping I get like a 93/94 raw lmaoooo but it'll be really hard since this year was heaps easier than every other year. Yikes hope I scraped through for Eng too because I was doing relatively ok until I reckon I flip flopped mod C creative. GL to everyone for other exams!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:27:32 pm by jenjennie »

AHafza

• Adventurer
I’d like to know too... let’s wait for ruiace’s prediction

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
Sample solutions; please:
a) Point out any mistakes! And tell me if something needs more explanation, particularly multiple-choice because I left most explanation blank. Also, tell me if you can't read my writing.
b) Click to enlarge the photos!

Multiple Choice
Question 11

Question 12

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Remaining solutions. As above, let me know if there's any error and please click the photo to resize it :)

Question 13

Question 14

I must say, there were definitely quite a few weird questions again. Q14 got a bit difficult to carefully navigate at the end. They definitely also had quite abstract Q9 and Q10 multiple choices as well!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:52:18 pm by RuiAce »

worldno1

• Trailblazer
65-66/70 raw will align to? :(

Gosh, also if I expressed alpha in terms of k instead of k in terms of alpha...am I going to get deducted? I had k in terms of alpha like 2 lines above. :'(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:01:43 pm by worldno1 »

alisontungmy

• Adventurer
65-66/70 raw will align to? :(

Gosh, also if I expressed alpha in terms of k instead of k in terms of alpha...am I going to get deducted? I had k in terms of alpha like 2 lines above. :'(

Hmm maybe 97?(judging from previous years)
Argh i am so careless...lost a few marks :'(
(I think i did better in 4u than this...nvm it is over)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:00:04 pm by alisontungmy »
HSC 2018: Mathematics(94)
HSC 2019: Maths Ext.1(94), Maths Ext.2(84), Music 2(97), Biology(90), Physics(85), Standard English(84)
Uni 2020-2024: Bachelor of Education(Secondary: Maths)/ Bachelor of Science at USyd

worldno1

• Trailblazer
Hmm maybe 97?(judging from previous years)
Argh i am so careless...lost a few marks :'(
(I think i did better in 4u than this...nvm it is over)
Same here lmao I struggled more with 3u. yikes. feels bad when every mark weights more too since it's only out of 70.

iktimal

• Adventurer
Hey, can someone who has the paper post it, if you have photos please????

VVVVVVVv

• Fresh Poster
hey i was wondering if its okay for part 14 cii to use the argument of inverse and stuff where i let cos(x)=q and cos(x-alpa)=q and then say that because of range sin(x-aplha) is negative of sin(x). if u get what i mean

alisontungmy

• Adventurer
hey i was wondering if its okay for part 14 cii to use the argument of inverse and stuff where i let cos(x)=q and cos(x-alpa)=q and then say that because of range sin(x-aplha) is negative of sin(x). if u get what i mean
Yes i think! A few people in my school did that, as long as your argument is clear I'm sure you are fine
HSC 2018: Mathematics(94)
HSC 2019: Maths Ext.1(94), Maths Ext.2(84), Music 2(97), Biology(90), Physics(85), Standard English(84)
Uni 2020-2024: Bachelor of Education(Secondary: Maths)/ Bachelor of Science at USyd

AHafza

• Adventurer
So what would 60,61/70 align too?
I blew the state rank, made the worst mistakes. 😭