Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:39 pm

Poll

How is your enrollment going for the science school?

Nailed🎖it! Go🚀ng with passion in scie🔭ce
Got in. But n🙉t going, having a better choice
Got to the interview. Didn’t g🤕t in, hoping for sec🥺nd round... 😩h guys this is hard
Never received an invitation for interview... how did those guys g🌚t in?
got in by second round, feeling so lucky!

Author Topic: JMSS 2020 Statistical Investigation  (Read 4811 times)  Share 

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
  • Respect: 0
JMSS 2020 Statistical Investigation
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:52:52 pm »
Hi guys, I’m trying out for JMSS this year and unfortunately f🤕iled the first round,  I heard the interview was intense competition, and many people don’t got inWelcome to share how to you think of their test. And I’ll be looking forward to receive people telling their experience about the test and interview, the achievements they bring, and what is everyone’s current school.
If you d😩n’t make it, don’t panic and don’t depress. The fu🚀ure awaits us, please have a nice discussion and calm down.Plus, a linear equation with positive gradient won’t have a positive x and y intercept at the same time, a temporary negative result won’t effect much, as long as it’s improving.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:45:17 pm by SynX »
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
Re: JMSS 2020 Statistical Investigation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 02:57:50 pm »
same experience bro

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 03:32:45 pm »
same experience bro
How about this awesome dude
Hey there! First of all the only major positive I had on my side was that I was a STEM Captain at my current high school, so that was pretty big. Tbh, I am more of a bookworm than possibly anyone in this forum! So I barely had any extracurricular activities, except for some that were quite decent but not amazing. What else, I had a Resume, and a Cover letter and some major achievements in Co-curricular activities (like being placed in the top 5% globally for the Language Perfect World Championships). And trust me, DW about the maths quiz, I only managed to finish half of the question properly  (the first one  :P) and I still got in. That just goes to show that the maths quiz was really just a warmup and a bridge to the one on one interviews. The interviews was better than most of my group discussion, and I managed to talk about Climate Change question pretty well by addressing multiple perspectives. Hope that helps :)

Cylo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:26:32 pm »
I though i would have got in since i had a pretty decent report plus achievements and did well in the interview
welp now id better start to prepare for next years entry as well as other schools entry exams

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:09:34 am »
I only know the total number people applying was 851, and the place offered is 200.
But Idk how many people got in the interview but being rejected...
It’s pretty painful  when you got half way their and rejected

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 10:29:25 am »
Anyone still on this topic? I would be looking forward for all you guys to vote and share your experiences.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 12:08:34 pm »
What did you guys write about in the prac report? Also, do you guys know if they take the test into consideration or just the interview when selecting people? For example, would someone who got a really good score in the exam have a bit of leeway when it came to the interview?

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 12:24:31 pm »
What did you guys write about in the prac report? Also, do you guys know if they take the test into consideration or just the interview when selecting people? For example, would someone who got a really good score in the exam have a bit of leeway when it came to the interview?

No i doubt it because my brother is currently in year 12 at JMSS and back when he did it, the smartest kid in his tuition breezed through the exam but failed the interview. When my brother and him emailed JMSS for exam results, the other kid got at least 3 superiors while my brother only got 2. Obviously, the exam is still important either way, especially if you go to a school where alot of people try out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:27:00 pm by I don\'t know »

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 12:27:35 pm »
ok, did you try out for your JMSS this year? How did it go? If, so what did you write about in the prac report?

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 12:48:46 pm »
ok, did you try out for your JMSS this year? How did it go? If, so what did you write about in the prac report?

I actually don't know how but I made it in. I spend a whole as week crying after the interview because of how shit i did in that. I'm still in shock and is still wondering if they mixed me up with someone else ahah. For the science report, I wrote all the components that they didn't give us even though it only told us to write a discussion. They gave us the results and a small description. I basically wrote an aim, hypothesis, variables and a discussion. Didn't have time to write a conclusion, sadly cuz I ran out of space. I used the given results to create a graph by the way.
In the discussion, I explained how a certain substance (can't remember which one it was sorry) reduced heat transfer.  (I used some of the information they gave us to help me.) I also listed ways and places where this principle is used (real life examples) and also wrote down possible ways to improve the reliability of the results acquired, in the discussion.  idk doe
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:52:16 pm by I don\'t know »

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 01:37:12 pm »
Ok, what kind of achievements did you bring in? Also, how did you answer the global warming question and the 'what area of science makes you most curious' question in the interview?

indyphil

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 09:50:39 am »
Second round should be coming... but the chance is almost nil and I don’t think they’ll chose me.
like i said on the other page, first round offers have until 4 to accept so second round might come tomorrow

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 09:57:14 am »
like i said on the other page, first round offers have until 4 to accept so second round might come tomorrow
But the officials told us to wait until the end of October.
Plus, I heard some people talking about sending emails and stuff to their officials and even the principal?

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 01:24:02 pm »
Waiting for second round?

breathe123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 02:33:26 pm »
Ok, what kind of achievements did you bring in? Also, how did you answer the global warming question and the 'what area of science makes you most curious' question in the interview?
My email had gone to spam so I only had one night to prepare (got in though). I got my main certificates but couldn't bring in some such as my musical instrument and swimming ones (i just decided to tell them XD). These main certificates consisted of heaps of debating/public speaking awards, LEGO team building, a 2017 video game challenge and some language awards. My reports weren't too bad so that was a plus. I am almost certain that I didn't get the first half of the maths question right but I don't really think it matters.

I answered the global warming question by talking about geothermal electricity, explaining scientifically about climate change and its effects and also more about solar rebate programs for those in the concession rate and having less than 60,000 dollars of yearly earning and rented property's and that there should impose a rule was, "owner- living homes," and those who own the rented houses, as well as government buildings and government, owned homes to have solar panels.

I was talking about astrophysics and that I wanted to become something in that field as it was the unknown and how we still know very little about the subject. I can't wait to see those who got in next year. (especially those who like astrophysics XD)