Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:05:34 pm

Author Topic: should i do chemistry  (Read 2431 times)  Share 

hellopeopleidonotexist

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
should i do chemistry
« on: June 06, 2021, 04:21:24 pm »
hi i have a question

From what I've seen, biology looks absolutely disgusting and chemistry seems slightly better. I also have no interest in medicine or health related courses, but (almost) everyone says I should do chem just in case I change my mind later. I know that my interests are very likely to change over the course of doing vce and I might regret not doing chem later.

I'm in year 11 this year so if I manage to change to chemistry then I'll have to catch up on unit one content too.

Also if I change to chemistry now I'll lose half of my weekly free periods, and it doesn't seem worth it for a subject I have hardly any interest in doing and might not even continue.

idk if this is relevant but i'm also doing three maths and physics (I think there is meant to be some overlap with chem?)
somewhat interested in maths/cs/engineering in uni

ahahahaha sorry for any braincells that died after reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated

hellopeopleidonotexist

• Adventurer
Re: should i do chemistry
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 04:22:20 pm »
eww sorry for being dumb i think i posted in the wrong place ohno

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 05:00:49 pm »
+3
i think i posted in the wrong place ohno
Welcome to the forum!

That's OK! One of the mods will be able to move this to a more appropriate spot later on. It's all a part of being new on ATARnotes. :)
I usually have three criteria for subject selection and I'll run through them with you:
1. Do you need Chem as a prerequisite? According to you, it seems like a maybe, but doubtful. You can double check via the VTAC Pre-req and Course Planner.
2. Do you like Chem? You seem to be less inclined to take Chem on, so not really.
3. This is more of a last resort tiebreaker, but I'll add it here anyway... Are you any good at Chem? This is probably a question you'll have to answer yourself.

I'll put a couple of my own opinions out there:
- With your current aspirations in Maths/ Comp Sci/ Engineering, the main area I can see Chem helping is primarily in Engineering, where it's a prereq in a couple of courses if you don't do Physics, which you are doing, so no major dramas. Chem will also be useful if you're mostly considering a career in chemical engineering, but also useful in other fields within engineering.
- I think you kind of know what you choice is, given your reluctance. It's ultimately up to you.
- You have a few options if you're unsure:
 (a) check out the Chem study design and see if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. If no, then simply don't take it if you don't need it.
 (b) Ask a Chem teacher you're familiar with (or even your Physics/ Methods teacher if they also teach VCE Chem) to see whether it'd be something you might like, what topics you'd be covering and whether it'd be a good fit for you and your aspirations.
 (c) You can try Unit 2 Chem and see if it's for you. If not, then most schools have a deadline before you're locked in your subjects, so you can decide to ditch Chem before then.
- Just a heads up, there are subject restrictions on your Top 4. You won't be able to have all 3 maths subjects in your Top 4. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

hellopeopleidonotexist

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 06:46:15 pm »
thanks for the reply  ;D

I'm probably not going to do chem next year it looks like too much effort for something I'm not that interested in

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 08:05:57 pm »
Yo, so I loved chem in year 10 but honestly? The year 11 stuff is pretty ****. Idk whether its the teacher that's making me hate it but I am def planning to drop year 12. In terms of work load, it is one of the more intensive subjects. Many concepts, short time etc. The concepts themselves also require you to really understand what's going on and falling behind leaves u in a pretty big rabbit hole. if you really enjoyed chemistry or like had absolutely no other choice and were willing to put in some real work for it I would recommend it but based on ur description... hate to say that you may not enjoy the subject and will find urself falling fairly behind. But that is just based on my experience and the stuff u said, in the end u r gonna have to talk to some teachers, look at the study design, maybe look through a text book. It may suit u to just keep the frees and do well in those subjects cause chem is not only gonna take away some of ur free's but a big chunk of hw+study time. But again, in the end it is up to you! This is just the 2 cents of a random chem student :p
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:53:47 am »
Current 1/2 student here!

Personally I think you shouldn't do chemistry if you really have no interest in it or you don't need it as a prereq. Chem is a lot, it requires a lot of memorisation, practice and making sure you completely understand the concepts inside and out. Honestly, as someone who does maths as well, and know those who do physics, there's not that much of an overlap or really any overlap. If your study periods will enable you to do a lot better in other subjects, then I think you should keep those as opposed to losing valuable study time and having a subject you may not do as great in
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 01:34:14 pm »
hi i have a question

From what I've seen, biology looks absolutely disgusting and chemistry seems slightly better. I also have no interest in medicine or health related courses, but (almost) everyone says I should do chem just in case I change my mind later. I know that my interests are very likely to change over the course of doing vce and I might regret not doing chem later.

I'm in year 11 this year so if I manage to change to chemistry then I'll have to catch up on unit one content too.

Also if I change to chemistry now I'll lose half of my weekly free periods, and it doesn't seem worth it for a subject I have hardly any interest in doing and might not even continue.

idk if this is relevant but i'm also doing three maths and physics (I think there is meant to be some overlap with chem?)
somewhat interested in maths/cs/engineering in uni

ahahahaha sorry for any braincells that died after reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated
You can give it a shot if you want, I did chemistry in year 11 and 12 if you are willing you work hard then it should not be too much of a challenge for you. But do know that chemistry gets quite hard in unit 2,3 and 4 compared to unit 1 so be prepared if you do want to do it. All the best-Stormbreaker