Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 06:03:11 pm

Author Topic: Monash or Melbourne Engineering Pathway?  (Read 671 times)  Share 

batmannananana

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Monash or Melbourne Engineering Pathway?
« on: June 05, 2021, 06:01:42 pm »
Hi! I am an year 12 student this year, and I was having trouble slecting the course I want to study and which university to study at.
I would like to study engineering (leaning more towards mechanical or chemical) and I have a strong interest in automotive.
However, I was concerned with the difficulty level of the degree as I dislike physics and I am quite average in methods and chemistry.
My predicted atar, with these subjects: chemistry, methods, biology, legal, business, english, is around 85-90.
Also RMIT is not really an option for me due to the distance I would have to travel.

It would be really helpful if I got some of my questions answered:
1. Is doing a Bachelor of Science, and then a Master of Engineering a better option if I was still had doubts about pursuing engineering? (I would like to add that I do not want a career in research because the main reason I like engineering is due to its practical side)
2. Does Monash and Melbourne offer an internship program? I was having issues finding anything about this.
3. What are the differences/advantages to completing an undergraduate followed by a MC-ENG as opposed to a Bachelor of Engineering?
4. Does Bachelor of Engineering have a huge focus on mathematics and physics when compared to Melbourne University's pathway?
5. Where would I likely be able to find a job? For example, for mechanical engineering, would I have to seek overseas for more career options?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Monash or Melbourne Engineering Pathway?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 06:31:48 pm »
+2
My predicted atar, with these subjects: chemistry, methods, biology, legal, business, english, is around 85-90.
I would highly highly advise you try hard to get into the higher end of this bracket. A 96+ ATAR might let you slide into the UoM BSci/MEng package, but a 85+ ATAR will be OK for the BSci if you have Access Melbourne. As for Monash, 86+ ATAR will get you into the normal BEng (Hons) if you have Monash Guarantee (and 87+ without it).

I will only be able to answer a few of the questions you have as it's mostly about personal preference and my knowledge in the area is rather limited.
1. Is doing a Bachelor of Science, and then a Master of Engineering a better option if I was still had doubts about pursuing engineering? (I would like to add that I do not want a career in research because the main reason I like engineering is due to its practical side)
This is up to you and what your preferences are. Both course pathways have their pros and cons.
2. Does Monash and Melbourne offer an internship program? I was having issues finding anything about this.
I'm not sure about internship programs specifically, so you'd have to ask about that, but what I do know is that the engineering courses you've specified are accredited. This means that they have specific standards that they have to abide by, including having at least X amounts of professional development before you can successfully complete your degree. This can include internships and/or work placements/ experience, but not necessarily a compulsory component.

Pretty sure both unis offer a "you can do X unit (unit = subject in uni talk), this specific internship unit or an internship to complete your accreditation and degree" sort of thing. Not sure if you'll have to find the internship yourself, if they have an internship program or if the uni will give you one if you choose the internship options.

I know that the Science faculty at Monash was relatively good at advertising work experience, placement, research scholarship and internship opportunities, but not sure whether the Engineering faculty has the same thing.

3. What are the differences/advantages to completing an undergraduate followed by a MC-ENG as opposed to a Bachelor of Engineering?
Pros:
- More time to figure out whether Eng is for you.
- Can explore non-Engineering areas and provides more flexibility. (And this will be compulsory in your breadth units in the BSci at UoM.)
- Will be older and presumably, more mature when starting the MEng.

Cons:
- If you're pretty sure you know Eng is for you, then the cost of time and money will have to be weighed up.
4. Does Bachelor of Engineering have a huge focus on mathematics and physics when compared to Melbourne University's pathway?
This one I can't answer. I'll leave this to someone else who knows more about it.
5. Where would I likely be able to find a job? For example, for mechanical engineering, would I have to seek overseas for more career options?
I don't know much about the opportunities for engineering jobs, so I won't reply on this matter in case I mislead you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:37:09 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread