Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:29:38 am

Author Topic: Business Information Systems  (Read 11971 times)  Share 

Simonnn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Business Information Systems
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 04:47:25 pm »
anybody going to BBIS IBL interviews next thursday? i am! :)

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 11:55:10 am »
There's a few of them! I counted at least 4 now :) - there's also two or three (that I'm aware of) that are current IBL students on this board.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Simonnn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 04:55:42 pm »
I'm having trouble deciding which course I would prefer out of:

Business Information Systems - IBL Stream

Business Information Systems/Commerce

I've heard that you can also get work experience in the double degree, but I'm unsure of which to choose (providing my enter is high enough for both), would you guys be able to share some opinions with me? :)

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »
It really does depend on what you want to do post-degree. If you intend to get into the Big 4, I'd take the bottom option. You do have the ability to do one IBL placement (and receive a $15,000 scholarship) with this. This is if you don't mind studying for another 2 years before getting into the workforce.

If you want to get into the workforce fast and start your career earlier, the former option is the best. One of the valuable things you can take away from an IBL placement is the networks you create - in some places, they'll offer you a graduate position on the spot.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

ell

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 05:22:30 pm »
I'm having trouble deciding which course I would prefer out of:

Business Information Systems - IBL Stream

Business Information Systems/Commerce

I've heard that you can also get work experience in the double degree, but I'm unsure of which to choose (providing my enter is high enough for both), would you guys be able to share some opinions with me? :)

Mmm, I was thinking of doing that double degree too. Too bad Monash is too far for me.

Simonnn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 12:16:05 pm »
Thanks a lot Excalibur, right now the IBL is looking like the better option.. we'll just have to see what happens at the interviews hehe

Kairubin

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »
So far everyone i know that has applied for IBL placement has got an interview. Which asks the question does everyone get an interview? lol

Wst

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 11:25:21 pm »
I got accepted into the IBL stream!   :D 2009 is going to be a busy year though...

Just some advice.. you can still be accepted into the IBL stream if you missed out on applying for it in Year 12 and are currently studying the normal coursework stream, which I did. 1st year for both streams are pretty much the same in terms of subjects taken, but I did miss out on the 1st year scholarship of $6000 and various extra-curricular activities (e.g. excursions, debating).

The application and interview process was slightly different though to the Year 12 method that Excalibur mentioned previously. I only had to attend a short 15 minute individual interview with two people from company offering placements (ANZ in my case), meaning my 1st year results (make sure you don't fail any units!) would have played a greater role in my selection.
Bachelor of Business Information Systems (IBL Stream)
~Wst~

droodles

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 11:09:28 am »
wait so the one on one interview isn't in front of a panel of IBL partner reps? THANK GOD

GOOD AS

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 12:38:14 pm »
So far everyone i know that has applied for IBL placement has got an interview. Which asks the question does everyone get an interview? lol

Most people who don't submit rubbish paper apps will get an interview. In fact, the majority of people who attend interviews enter the IBL program (they take about ~30 people, and when I did the interviews a similar amount of people attended the interviews). They'll take as many as the sponsors deem suitable because the demand for potential grads is that high (I mean, they're throwing $36k at each IBL student!).

wait so the one on one interview isn't in front of a panel of IBL partner reps? THANK GOD

GOOD AS
The group activities are in front of a panel of IBL reps, but the one-on-ones are just that - with the one rep. This probably speeds the process up :P
Former Global Moderator

dazza

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 02:27:20 pm »
the scholorships and the working experience thing sounds nice to me..
but personally i dun think i will be really good at Computer programming..@@

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »
You don't do much programming as part of the BBIS - the focus is on how the business uses IT. You will have to do a few (emphasis added) units, but the aim of them is to introduce you to technical concepts so you are at least aware of them.

Who knows, you might find that you are actually good at it.

There are people in my cohort that came into the course with absolutely no technical experience or skills and are doing quite well overall. Quite a few placements for IBL are also very non-technical as well.
Former Global Moderator

itsme

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 03:55:44 pm »

The score you're interested in is the first-round fringe ENTER. Basically, due to the lack of students entering IT courses and industry demand, you'll generally get into the course if you are in the 80+ range.

I know some who received first-round offers with an ENTER of 78.

You apply for IBL before the closing date :), otherwise you are correct. Your IBL offer is contingent on you entering the course at all via VTAC. I do believe the clearly-in was 88.45 or something in that region.

There are, of course, alternate methods of entry if you do not get in via VTAC.

What do you mean, by alternate methods of entry excalibur?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:43:26 pm by itsme »

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:21 pm »
You can apply through Monash College, if you're willing to pay.

You can also apply for any other Monash IT degree (BITS (Bachelor of Information Technology and Systems), Computer Science or Software Engineering), do well in it and get an internal transfer into BBIS (not sure what the process is, but I know someone who did this).

That being said, as of next year, all degrees (BBIS, BSE, BCompSc and BITS) will be offering IBL placements. The guy replacing me at Monash as a Business Analyst is studying BITS, apparently.
Former Global Moderator

dazza

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:35 am »
i would like to clarify something..

So if i missed out the application this year..then i still can get into the course but i will miss out the scholarship thing??but can i still apply for the IBL in the first year?

And what kind of jobs do graduates normally get??

thanks alot mate