Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 01:44:07 pm

Author Topic: Business Information Systems  (Read 11995 times)  Share 

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
Business Information Systems
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:43:46 pm »
Whats it like?  - I'm interested in the IBL Stream.. Whats the application and interview process like?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:47:39 pm by jsimmo »
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

cara.mel

Re: Business Information Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:54:29 pm »
I shall get Excalibur to come to this thread and comment. (2nd year, IBL stream)

He starts the actual placement part of it in july :)

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:33:39 pm »
Okay thanks :)
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:57 pm »
The application process into the IBL stream for school leavers is pretty simple. In August, a form will be released which you just fill in and send back. Can't remember how long it was, but be sure to mention the usual fluff: leadership, initiative, communication skills etc.

Then come the interviews, which are in the week in which your ENTER comes out (after that day). Basically, there are three components if things haven't changed:

- a presentation on the program
- a group interview (~1-1.5hr long)
- a one on one interview (~10-15min long)

The group interview tries to see how you are in a team environment. You'll probably do some teamwork-based activities...try to shine out as the 'leader' of the group as that'll look good in the interviewer's eyes.

The one on one is just to get to know you really. Just answer honestly...
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:08:26 pm »
Okay thank you for replying I have some other questions:

- When do you find out if you are successful (i'm really only interested in the IBL stream and i would think about doing another course if I wasn't selected - so would there be time for me to choose my other preference before the uni offers finish?)
- How many people apply and how many people get selected?
- Can you select which company you go to?
- How difficult is the course?

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:44:46 pm »
- When do you find out if you are successful (i'm really only interested in the IBL stream and i would think about doing another course if I wasn't selected - so would there be time for me to choose my other preference before the uni offers finish?)

> The next day.

- How many people apply and how many people get selected?

> Numbers of those who apply are variable, but about 20 or so are accepted.

- Can you select which company you go to?

> No. However, you can choose to perform badly for certain companies at the IBL placement selection meeting (aka interview battery) in May of your 2nd year.

- How difficult is the course?

> It has its easy moments and its difficult moments. Provided you do some work and leverage your friendship network when you do get here, you'll get through it.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:58 am »
jsimmo - I will be in attendance at the Open Day if you would like to enquire more about the IBL stream. I will be on placement at that stage and thus able to reflect on it at a personal level.
Former Global Moderator

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 09:40:55 pm »
Can you apply for IBL if you are under the first round clearly in score - but above the 1st round fringe enter?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:48:24 pm by jsimmo »

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:41:23 pm »
IBL application is a separate process to the VTAC.

You have to be successful in both to be admitted into the IBL stream of the BBIS. If you are unsuccessful at IBL, but successful at VTAC, you will be admitted into the coursework stream (this is the ENTER clearly-in stuff etc). Failing entry at VTAC, irrespective of IBL admission, will prevent you from entering the BBIS at all.
Former Global Moderator

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 12:34:33 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

So for example:

- I apply for IBL before getting my ENTER
- I receive my ENTER and get 85 (however last year, the clearly-in for the course was 87)
- I have the interviews the following day
- The next day, I find out I got into the IBL program**

**If the 87 remained the same and the second-round score stayed the same as last year (78) can I still get into the course even though I am below the clearly in score but above the second round? - or will they only accept me into the program if my ENTER was above 87?

I hope that made sense.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:53:04 pm by jsimmo »

droodles

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 05:23:59 pm »
i thought the clearly in was 88, the VTAC book says different to the monash uni site.

we are going for the same course jsimmo

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:49:12 pm »
i have always thought it was 87 because thats what it says on the VTAC website and the monash website

are you going to go for the IBL stream?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:51:24 pm by jsimmo »

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 09:16:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

So for example:

- I apply for IBL before getting my ENTER
- I receive my ENTER and get 85 (however last year, the clearly-in for the course was 87)
- I have the interviews the following day
- The next day, I find out I got into the IBL program**

**If the 87 remained the same and the second-round score stayed the same as last year (78) can I still get into the course even though I am below the clearly in score but above the second round? - or will they only accept me into the program if my ENTER was above 87?

I hope that made sense.

The score you're interested in is the first-round fringe ENTER. Basically, due to the lack of students entering IT courses and industry demand, you'll generally get into the course if you are in the 80+ range.

I know some who received first-round offers with an ENTER of 78.

You apply for IBL before the closing date :), otherwise you are correct. Your IBL offer is contingent on you entering the course at all via VTAC. I do believe the clearly-in was 88.45 or something in that region.

There are, of course, alternate methods of entry if you do not get in via VTAC.
Former Global Moderator

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:00:46 am »
I wlll be at Open Day all day, but will be in the foyer of the Central 1 lecture theatre for open discussion and questions on BBIS and other IT courses at the Clayton School of IT from 1pm onwards. In the morning, I will be running some kind of activity.
Former Global Moderator

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 10:02:37 am »
Reverse that, morning will be in chat sessions.
Former Global Moderator