Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 05:01:58 pm

Author Topic: Studying Law.....Is it worth it?  (Read 3746 times)  Share 

QueenDemetria

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Studying Law.....Is it worth it?
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:36:24 pm »
Hi guys,

So i was thinking of studying law when i finish VCE this year (hopefully), but I'm not really sure how the legal industry works. Lots of people tell me that you need to have 'connections' to work in the legal field and that its very hard finding a job these days because of the amounts of Law graduates. :-\What do you guys think about this? I'm not really sure what course i want to get into, but Monash law looks good. Melbourne also looks good, but I'm not sure how long it would take to complete, with a bachelor of arts and what major i would take in arts to compliment studying graduate law.

What are your opinions guys? Does anyone have any first hand experience? It would be much appreciated!

I really do like learning about the law and would be really interested in working in the industry.

Thanks  :)

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: Studying Law.....Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:17:03 pm »
Hi guys,

So i was thinking of studying law when i finish VCE this year (hopefully), but I'm not really sure how the legal industry works. Lots of people tell me that you need to have 'connections' to work in the legal field and that its very hard finding a job these days because of the amounts of Law graduates. :-\What do you guys think about this? I'm not really sure what course i want to get into, but Monash law looks good. Melbourne also looks good, but I'm not sure how long it would take to complete, with a bachelor of arts and what major i would take in arts to compliment studying graduate law.

What are your opinions guys? Does anyone have any first hand experience? It would be much appreciated!

I really do like learning about the law and would be really interested in working in the industry.

Thanks  :)

I do believe that having connections is pretty helpful when it comes to getting a job in law, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you need to have connections in order to get a job.
I have heard a few different people comment on the excessive number of law graduates right now, in comparison to the number of positions in the industry, however it's worth remembering that a) You definitely aren't confined to being a lawyer after studying law, b) Getting a job probably isn't going to be 'easy', regardless of the field, and c) A lot of your questions can probably be answered on this website: http://joboutlook.gov.au/occupation.aspx?code=2713&search=alpha&Tab=prospects  :P

With regards to studying law, I chose the Monash path over the Melbourne/JD path, because a) the Melbourne Uni pathway is more time consuming, b) the Melbourne Uni pathway is more expensive, c) entry into the Melbourne JD is very competitive, and you're only guaranteed entry if you attain a 99.90 ATAR (I think?), and d) I've heard very, very good things about Monash and the Monash Law School.
Nevertheless, if you were going to study a Bachelor of Arts at Melbourne, and then complete a Juris Doctor, it's worth noting that your arts major does not have to and isn't really supposed to compliment your JD at all, meaning that you can study whatever you want :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »
I can't 2nd Glasses post enough (especially the 1st paragraph). Law can lead you in many directions, not just being a Lawyer. I'd definitely recommend a double degree w/ Law, just to keep your job options open and be better "qualified" for specific roles within the legal industry, or in the other field of study.
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

VPos42

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
+1
1) Connections definitely help, but you can make those connections yourself while doing the degree (for example, doing an internship unit, dropping in resumes at Community Legal Centres and Legal Aid offices so you can volunteer there, etc.) As another poster said, a Law degree doesn't pigeonhole you into a legal career either :)

2) If you know you want to study Law, then do NOT go to Melbourne Uni!
Apply for Monash, Deakin, LaTrobe, wherever - but don't waste three years doing an Arts degree because, from my experience
-(a) it feels like you're redoing VCE, so motivation can be hard to find (my grades were shite! :P )
-(b) there's no guarantee you'll get into the JD anyway (unless your ATAR's 99.9 (something like that) or above, and even then it's a full-fee place.

3) You also MUST remember that uni isn't free. Eventually you'll have to start paying the debt,
-Arts and Law @ Melbourne would be roughly $150K ($30K for Arts, $120K for Law)
-Law @ Deakin and Monash, roughly $40-45K (probably about the same for LaTrobe too)
2009-2010; VCE, 96.70.
2011-2012; BA @ Melbourne Uni.
2014-2016; Law @ Deakin.

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:33:08 pm »
+2
3) You also MUST remember that uni isn't free. Eventually you'll have to start paying the debt,
-Arts and Law @ Melbourne would be roughly $150K ($30K for Arts, $120K for Law)
-Law @ Deakin and Monash, roughly $40-45K (probably about the same for LaTrobe too)

Just wanna say, this is quite misleading. There is a huge financial difference between CSP and FFP/international place for the Melbourne JD, and a FFP is considerably easier to attain. A CSP would cost approx 30k for the entire degree. A similar case applies in medicine, where FFPs are obviously much more expensive (something ridiculous like 500% more), so you can't really say one uni is better when you're comparing different course types. The Monash JD also costs over $100k, for reference.

Not trying to promote Melb uni, because the two are essentially equal in terms of 'prestige'. However, neither are inherently better for every single person.

edit: You also mentioned the guarantee program in your post. It's CSP guaranteed with a 99.90+, or a FFP with 99.00, both without LSAT.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:45:13 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:46:58 pm »
I thought JD entry was actually quite doable (of course with the motivation) 70-75 WAM + a good LSAT's gets you in.

99.90+ is CSP place

What are the other possible outcomes from a law degree, outside the legal field? That you wouldn't have from any other degree. (just for interest sake)  :)