Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:01:10 pm

Author Topic: Do I need to get a police check and WWCC?  (Read 1236 times)  Share 

Pyromania

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Berwick Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Do I need to get a police check and WWCC?
« on: January 29, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »
Hey guys! I am going to be doing bachelor of teaching at uni, I was wondering if I needed to apply for a police check and a working with children's check before commencing my course? I thought you only needed to apply for the WWCC before taking any placements...? And does everyone need to apply for a police check before commencing their course at uni?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Do I need to get a police check and WWCC?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:57:38 pm »
+1
Yes, you'll need a WWCC (Volunteer or Employee) before you go on placement. The turnaround time for this is a few weeks but i'd get it done ASAP so you're well prepared to go out on placements. They usually ask for you to apply for a WWCC early because placements are organised well in advance - and this helps with the planning process.

In terms of a criminal record / police check, this is not needed because the WWCC covers your legal requirements to enter a school. The Volunteer WWCC is free and is all you need, because you are not an employee of the placement school.

You don't have to have it before you start your course - but you need to be aware of uni deadlines for when they want you to get it by. Like I said, the turnaround time is usually a few weeks so you would want to do it at least a month before your first placement.

Let me know if you have any other questions, i'm doing the Master of Teaching. Send me a PM or something, to keep this thread on topic. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:03:25 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Pyromania

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:16 pm »
Thanks for that! :>)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:33:25 pm »
It takes about 2 weeks to get it mailed to you so factor that in on top of the deadline your uni may have! I just got mine approved and it's coming in the mail, the process is quick and easy so try to get it done asap to save some hassle later.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Pyromania

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:23:52 am »
Alright, I'll get to it ASAP! Thanks for your response! =)