Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:05:25 am

Author Topic: Algorithmics vs Software Development  (Read 10982 times)

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Algorithmics vs Software Development
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:00:03 pm »
Hi guys. It's my second time posting in the algorithmics. If you didn't see my other post, I am currently in year 11 going to do Methods, Physics, Chemistry, English and either Software or Algoritmics next year. I am going to do either Software or Algoritmics over distance education. But I will have an IT teacher to help me sometimes when I need help at recess or after school. FYI My career path is software engineering or computer science. And, I have passion for coding and technology in general. I self taught myself Phython, Java and HTML in my free time.

The question from me is, I'm already doing comparatively harder subjects already and I'm willing to work fairly well for Algoritmics if it's not too hard to cope with. I do find year 11 Methods, Physics and Chemistry to be pretty easy. To my understanding, Software Dev is pretty much a blude subject that I can do as a plan B. Do you think that I should do Algorithmics? Please don't say it's up to me or I need to decide. Just give me your opinions on this. If you want any clarification just let me know. Thanks so much!

Kindergarten

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Algorithmics vs Software Development
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:18:19 am »
Software Dev is pretty much a blude subject

Take it from someone doing it this year. SD is a bludge, it's great though distance ed in that I only need to spend 20 minutes a week on work so I have more time for other subjects. Personally I'd go with algorithmics if i were you, at the end of the day you will have enough time in the year to complete all of your subjects no matter what you choose. May as well pick what you find interesting as opposed to picking "bludge" subjects for the sake of being able to dedicate more time to other subjects.
2015: Software Development | Business Management
2016: English language | Informatics | Global Politics| Economics | Legal

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:52:42 am »
+1
As someone who is currently studying this field at university, I can say that Algorithmics will benefit you the most. The content that Algorithmics provides is essentially computer science at it's core - so I would DEFINITELY recommend Algorithmics over SD if you plan on entering Computer Science (+ the handy credit at the end).

The only thing is that you need to be mathematically literate in order to be successful in the subject. Analysing algorithms and their effectiveness takes a bit more into account than just 'programming' so to speak (e.g. Big O notation, graph theory - to name a few).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:54:39 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 01:40:37 pm »
Take it from someone doing it this year. SD is a bludge, it's great though distance ed in that I only need to spend 20 minutes a week on work so I have more time for other subjects. Personally I'd go with algorithmics if i were you, at the end of the day you will have enough time in the year to complete all of your subjects no matter what you choose. May as well pick what you find interesting as opposed to picking "bludge" subjects for the sake of being able to dedicate more time to other subjects.

What other subjects are you doing? But would Algorithmics be too much work over Distance Ed? I am doing Further maths right now in Year 11. What does your timetable look like?

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 01:45:45 pm »
+2
I'd say just do the subject that will net you a higher score. If SD gets you a higher study score and takes less time than Algorithmics, then do that for sure.

Whatever you might learn next year, you will re-learn anyway at university. Getting into the course (and maybe with a scholarship) should be first on the priority list.
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:48:46 pm »
+1
Quote from: bedigursimran
But would Algorithmics be too much work over Distance Ed?

It's a higher education study (HESS).. basically I think I mentioned this in an earlier post somewhere that it's the equivalent of a first/second year computer science subject at university. It is a bit of work to get your head around and is arguably more difficult than your average VCE subject, but with dedication and work it's possible to score well.

You won't be able to neglect this subject for others due to its difficulty. If you're doing Unit 1+2 methods, that's a good start since Algorithmics in general is split 50/50 mathematics/programming (algorithmic concepts).

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »
As someone who is currently studying this field at university, I can say that Algorithmics will benefit you the most. The content that Algorithmics provides is essentially computer science at it's core - so I would DEFINITELY recommend Algorithmics over SD if you plan on entering Computer Science (+ the handy credit at the end).

The only thing is that you need to be mathematically literate in order to be successful in the subject. Analysing algorithms and their effectiveness takes a bit more into account than just 'programming' so to speak (e.g. Big O notation, graph theory - to name a few).

Do you think I will be able to understand the content on my own from Distance Ed because apparently it's as hard as Specilist maths(is that true?). I really do want to do Algoritmics though just don't want to concentrate on it too much so I don't well on other subjects, that's my main concern. I guess I'll have you guys to help me. :D

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 01:51:53 pm »
I'd say just do the subject that will net you a higher score. If SD gets you a higher study score and takes less time than Algorithmics, then do that for sure.

Whatever you might learn next year, you will re-learn anyway at university. Getting into the course (and maybe with a scholarship) should be first on the priority list.

Yeah. That's the only reason I want to do Software Dev. I know I don't have to work hard at all and can still get mid 30s Study Score.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 01:53:09 pm »
Do you think I will be able to understand the content on my own from Distance Ed because apparently it's as hard as Specilist maths(is that true?). I really do want to do Algoritmics though just don't want to concentrate on it too much so I don't well on other subjects, that's my main concern. I guess I'll have you guys to help me. :D

The mathematics is not that bad, but since you have Methods it's ok. I only did Further back when I was in VCE and I did quite well learning this content, so don't let that "difficult math" bubble stop you from taking it on.

If you honestly are just after the study score, go for SD. But if you actually want to learn something useful to support your study in university later on, do Algorithmics.

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 01:59:39 pm »
+1
Alternatively just take the time in first semester of uni to learn Algorithimcs in university, on-campus, with proper peer and tutor support.

Don't get me wrong, it's an essential subject - a building block for your software development education, but I question if Year 12 is the proper time to take it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:01:37 pm by zhenzhenzhen »
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 02:00:03 pm »
The mathematics is not that bad, but since you have Methods it's ok. I only did Further back when I was in VCE and I did quite well learning this content, so don't let that "difficult math" bubble stop you from taking it on.

If you honestly are just after the study score, go for SD. But if you actually want to learn something useful to support your study in university later on, do Algorithmics.

I am doing Further maths right now. What ATAR did you get? I'm leaning towards Software DEV right now. Because I'll be relearning the content anyway in Uni.

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 02:08:12 pm »
Alternatively just take the time in first semester of uni to learn Algorithimcs in university, on-campus, with proper peer and tutor support.

Don't get me wrong, it's an essential subject - a building block for your software development education, but I question if Year 12 is the proper time to take the subject.

Yeah, you're right. I'll just do it in Uni. Thanks

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »
+1
I am doing Further maths right now. What ATAR did you get? I'm leaning towards Software DEV right now. Because I'll be relearning the content anyway in Uni.

I didn't do that great in VCE due to the fact that the subjects I did weren't engaging and/or interesting. I would have been jumping for joy with a subject like this if I had the chance. I've been a tutor for nearly a year now and the amount of first year students who come to university straight from high school who have no idea what's going on is concerning (even with Applications/Softdev as Year 12 subjects).

Like I originally said, if you just want the study score, choose SD. But with the added incentive of credit @ Melbourne if you successfully complete Algorithmics, I think it's something worth considering properly at least. This is just from my perspective, however in the end it's up to you since it's your future.

zhen is right in the sense that you'll re-learn it all at university, but why wait? If you're as interested in Software Development as you say you are, why not start now?

About the credit > http://www.cis.unimelb.edu.au/schools/algorithmics.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:16:09 pm by Aaron »

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 02:28:40 pm »
+4
Anyone who seriously plans to undertake a CS/IT degree in uni should be doing algorithmics.

SD is a joke and like all joke VCE subjects, it isn't easy to get a high study score since the majority find the subject piss easy and hence you need to do more to stand out.

Let me elaborate from a former CS university tutor's perspective and current ORACLE DBA. A subject like algorithmics is the perfect kickstart for your academic CS studies. You will learn concepts that have stood the test of time in the industry... Not rubbish like VCAAs emphasis on efficiency vs effectiveness.

The whole concept of doing a subject because it's easier is honestly ridiculous and I am embarrassed to read such comments in this thread. If you find a subject more interesting, chances are you'll be more motivated to study. And if a subject is harder, you'll be more determined to put the extra hours in and reap the rewards.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

bedigursimran

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 02:56:05 pm »
Anyone who seriously plans to undertake a CS/IT degree in uni should be doing algorithmics.

SD is a joke and like all joke VCE subjects, it isn't easy to get a high study score since the majority find the subject piss easy and hence you need to do more to stand out.

Let me elaborate from a former CS university tutor's perspective and current ORACLE DBA. A subject like algorithmics is the perfect kickstart for your academic CS studies. You will learn concepts that have stood the test of time in the industry... Not rubbish like VCAAs emphasis on efficiency vs effectiveness.

The whole concept of doing a subject because it's easier is honestly ridiculous and I am embarrassed to read such comments in this thread. If you find a subject more interesting, chances are you'll be more motivated to study. And if a subject is harder, you'll be more determined to put the extra hours in and reap the rewards.

So true. Thing is, I don't know how hard it will be. Compared to Year 12 Methods, Physics or Chemistry. How much harder is it? Yeah the rewards thing is really nice. And you make really good points about motivation and determination.