Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:00:03 am

Author Topic: Maths in engineering technology  (Read 809 times)  Share 

qazim

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Maths in engineering technology
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:15:41 pm »
I have received on offer from Griffith University in Queensland (Nathan campus) for: https://www.griffith.edu.au/study/degrees/bachelor-of-engineering-technology-in-electronic-and-computer-engineering-1586

So far I have accepted the offer, but I have not enrolled thru the institution yet, because I'm not confident in my maths skills at all. I have revived a mid band 2 (57% overall mark) in General mathematics 2 for one of my HSC subjects NSW. I have been interested in how computer hardware works for a while now, so I wanna pursue a my interest in this field. I just want to know would I be able to cope with the maths in this degree. So what do you think I should do?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:23:07 pm by qazim »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Maths in engineering technology
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:44:10 pm »
+3
I just want to know would I be able to cope with the maths in this degree. So what do you think I should do?

Hey there, Qazim!

If you're not confident with your mathematical ability, but got an offer, it probably means that there are others that are in a similar situation. The best people to ask would be Griffith Uni themselves, as they'd likely tackle this and your personal situation a bit more often than we do. I'd probably find a student enquiries contact number or something and give them a call when they're open.

Usually for students who are a bit hesitant with their mathematical skills, there may be one or more of the following options available:
- take a short bridging course prior to the start of the course itself
- take a foundation maths unit to bring you back up to speed
- take some form of optional extra classes (e.g. Monash Uni has the PASS program, an optional class for students who hadn't done certain VCE subjects e.g. VCE Biology but you're taking first year uni Biology, or did not do as well as they hoped - perhaps Griffith offers something similar that you could join)
- take a maths unit elective (perhaps at a similar difficulty to General Maths 2 or the QCE version of the same subject) in the first semester to help your maths skills, if possible
- find your General Maths 2 books (if you can) or borrow some and start self-revising what you think may be necessary during this break (preferably I'd find out what might be necessary by checking the sorts of maths that most likely would be involved in Griffith's first year engineering units before pursuing this idea)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

qazim

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:25:33 pm »
Do you think is feasible at all, even thought I revived a mid band 2 (57% overall mark) in General mathematics 2 for one of my HSC (easiest level of maths)?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »
+1
Do you think is feasible at all, even thought I revived a mid band 2 (57% overall mark) in General mathematics 2 for one of my HSC (easiest level of maths)?
I’d recommend giving Griffith Uni’s student enquiries a call. They’d be able to tell you more accurate and personalised information than we can. Sorry to pass you over to someone else, but they will know what to do.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread