Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:29:24 am

Author Topic: Question about studying  (Read 867 times)

Delis101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Question about studying
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:51:27 pm »
Hello, for the people who  received high marks/ ATAR in high school. Did you guys study Subjects like biology at home early throughout the year even though your final exam is in term 4. Or did you guys start studying biology when the final 50% exams came up.  I am asking this because term 1 to 3 consists of assignments and no exams, however, there is a large 50% exam at the end of the year. Thanks. Biology was just an example, this applies to any subjects where there is a large exam at the end of the year.

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: Question about studying
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:57:48 am »
+1
Hello, for the people who  received high marks/ ATAR in high school. Did you guys study Subjects like biology at home early throughout the year even though your final exam is in term 4. Or did you guys start studying biology when the final 50% exams came up.  I am asking this because term 1 to 3 consists of assignments and no exams, however, there is a large 50% exam at the end of the year. Thanks. Biology was just an example, this applies to any subjects where there is a large exam at the end of the year.

Hi,
I generally study my 'heavy content' subjects such as mathematics and biology early throughout the year to ensure that I fully understand the content, can remember how to apply the content in certain situations (formulas etc.) and go through the objectives over and over again until I fully understand how to get top marks for each question.

Hope this helps :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Question about studying
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:54:56 am »
+3
Hey,

Like s110820, I recommend studying throughout the year.

I was doing a lot of practice questions for bio from early on - by the time Term 4 came around I would've had 100s of practice questions done. I found that doing these practice questions not just beneficial for the exam but also for ensuring I understood and could apply the content the whole way through + preparing for my other assessments.  (I scored in the top 1% of the state for bio)

I also recommend keeping a log of mistakes throughout the year where you note down questions you've gotten wrong, the mistake you made & what you should have done. This becomes a useful bank of questions to revisit and a good reminder of what to change and remember before an assessment.

How are you currently approaching homework and study for bio?

Best of luck!