Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 05:58:00 pm

Author Topic: failing at uni ; please help/advice  (Read 7536 times)  Share 

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
failing at uni ; please help/advice
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:10 pm »
hello everyone. I have previously posted on this forum about the struggles I've had in my uni course. I am studying engineering and basically been failing everything in my first year. got results today and now I have total of 8 fails with one deferred exam coming up which I am not motivated to do well and probably gonna end up failing. long story short I've had lot of mental health issues, being broke so bad and not having a job, relationship issues, other health issues, isolation, lack of motivation etc etc. My results basically reflect all of those. So my GPA is less than 0.5 and WAM is almost 45% after 4 semesters of study with only 3 passes.(I know, its so bad)  :'(

My situation doesn't allow me to take a break from studies(I am on Centrelink etc). Since the intermission I took before was basically useless taking a break is not an option I believe. Besides I need to figure out how to do well in exams(I have been doing well all this time in in-semester work, its the exams I stuffed up), which I can't do if I take a break I guess.

I know I basically can't get a GPA anymore, although I can still end up getting a good WAM. I basically gave a lot of thought on what I should study, and I just can't think of studying anything else. I am freaking out not knowing what to do. I could give one more semester a go. but will this all be worth it? is transferring unis worth all the hassle? I am basically living all by myself. would I still be okay to get a job with these results? I am basically looking for an advice on what to do going forward?  :-X  :'(

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:02:48 pm by power4 »
Monash University

ravenswood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: failing at uni ; please help/advice
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:42 pm »
+4
if you haven't figured out what the problem you're having is after 4 semesters of trying, why do you think the 5th semester will be any different? your explanation for your exam struggles is nebulous, so I just interpret it as you being unprepared each time because you're either not putting in the work or its not within your capabilities (or both). engineering is a very difficult course, and things are only going to get more challenging in second and third year. if you don't want to take any more time off, my advice would be to do a semester of units outside your faculty. try Arts, Business, IT, whatever. something may spur your interest, and the aforementioned are a lot easier than engineering. a course change will refresh your GPA/WAM (to some extent, your fails will never be quashed from your record completely), give you some confidence and perspective. you may view it as a waste of time/money, but judging by your post it could be a more worthwhile endeavour than smacking your head against the wall for a 5th time and hoping that it breaks down. good luck

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:02:21 pm »
if you haven't figured out what the problem you're having is after 4 semesters of trying, why do you think the 5th semester will be any different? your explanation for your exam struggles is nebulous, so I just interpret it as you being unprepared each time because you're either not putting in the work or its not within your capabilities (or both). engineering is a very difficult course, and things are only going to get more challenging in second and third year. if you don't want to take any more time off, my advice would be to do a semester of units outside your faculty. try Arts, Business, IT, whatever. something may spur your interest, and the aforementioned are a lot easier than engineering. a course change will refresh your GPA/WAM (to some extent, your fails will never be quashed from your record completely), give you some confidence and perspective. you may view it as a waste of time/money, but judging by your post it could be a more worthwhile endeavour than smacking your head against the wall for a 5th time and hoping that it breaks down. good luck

Thanks so much. but I don't think taking subjects outside of the engineering faculty is an option. :( at least at Monash, at least for people who are in the older version of the eng course. but I'll have to double check this..

I know its hard to think 5th semester would be any different.. but given that I've looked at the other courses and their exams and stuff I do not see any reason why I should pursue that course.. :( besides if taking subjects outside the faculty is not an option(again I'll double check this), and I change my course, there is no guarantee that I'll like that course and there is no way I could transfer back to eng.. :(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:06:42 pm by power4 »
Monash University

qwdfbn1996

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30:18 pm »
+3
Thanks so much. but I don't think taking subjects outside of the engineering faculty is an option. :( at least at Monash, at least for people who are in the older version of the eng course. but I'll have to double check this..

I know its hard to think 5th semester would be any different.. but given that I've looked at the other courses and their exams and stuff I do not see any reason why I should pursue that course.. :( besides if taking subjects outside the faculty is not an option(again I'll double check this), and I change my course, there is no guarantee that I'll like that course and there is no way I could transfer back to eng.. :(

Since you say that you do well on in-semester assessments and it's just the exams which are giving you trouble, could it possibly be due to anxiety or panic attacks during the exam? If it's a persisting issue I would recommend maybe talking to an uni advisor/counsellor and I'm sure there will be avenues to deal with such issues. If it is the case that you are not keeping up with the content (not sure how you would do well for in-semester assessments though?) maybe try finding some study groups or just devote more time to studying so that you build more confidence with the material which will hopefully reduce some stress. If you feel like you can bring significant change to how you approach uni next semester, it might be worth it to give it another shot but you definitely need to find the root of the problem first. All the best.

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:56:35 pm »
+20
Forget university, you need to fix how you approach life. I know what I say here is going to sound harsh, but let's be real here, none of your family or friends are going to tell you this (or maybe they have). Get your shit together. You're on uni break now so I'd do the following:

1. GET A JOB! This is so you don't have to rely on Centrelink payments and have a bit more flexibility in your life. Even if that means walking into every place nearby, Woolworths, Coles, some random fish and chip shop etc. You'll need it for developing a resume and it will allow you to become more social and fix your isolation problem. Yes, some places are going to reject you, but you need to be okay with that. I don't know what you do everyday, but get up early, shower, wear something clean and walk into at least 10 places and ask if they are hiring. As someone who currently works at Woolworths, we mainly hire online, however, I've known some people who literally walked in and asked for the Store manager, introduced themselves, and said they will take any position. Funnily enough, they got a job within a few days.

2. Defer from your course. You clearly don't care about engineering so why keep doing it. Is it because you think engineers get paid well? No offence, no one will want to hire someone who has 8 fails on their transcript unless they have proven themselves in the industry already or know someone within the company. Take it from me, I did a Bachelor of Accounting and did next to nothing for the duration of my degree (essentially relied on Year 12 knowledge), failed 5 subjects and had a WAM around 61 by the end of it. I went to 16 interviews, most of them requiring a phone call interview and then two face-to-face interviews and no one would hire me, because there was always someone better than me. So basically I've sat through 48 hours worth of interviews and never received a job. I even asked why they all rejected me, most would tell me to keep doing what I was doing (and sort of felt sorry for me) whilst others straight out told me my marks were really bad. But that hasn't deterred me, I'm still applying and I even went to interview workshops at Deakin (I'm doing my masters there at the moment to get a higher WAM). Bottom line, I'm doing something to fix it.

3. Start meditating everyday and work up to 20 minutes. I assume you have a smart phone, download an app called, 'Calm', it's free, choose a guided meditation and do it everyday. This is the best form of medicine for any mental health problems you may have, as I'm going to assume you don't have a chemical imbalance which requires a prescription from the doctor, but rather you are just feeling depressed because of how everything in your life is turning out. Doing this will allow your brain to stop talking and you will feel amazing afterwards. This will also help remedy how you approach life and could potentially fix your relationship or realise it's a bad one allowing you to move on.

4. Start exercising. Whether that's running, cycling, lifting weights. Do something which requires heavy breathing. I don't know many people, actually I don't know anyone, who after doing some decent recreational exercise feels depressed. Unless you were trying to hit a PB and didn't get it. Lifting weights is a very good idea and I can never recommend it enough to anyone with social anxiety or lack of self-esteem. I've trained consistently for over 5 years and it's dramatically improved my life. I am much more confident, I'm not afraid to speak to people, and overall it just makes you feel good.

5. Find a way to ignite some motivation. Personally I watch Gary Vee videos because he has a no bullshit policy to finding success. I assume you can apply yourself because you needed a fairly decent ATAR to get into Engineering at Monash, so try and look for some passion and drive again. Don't let life screw you over. No one likes someone who is helpless. Instead, be the person who works their ass off and gives everything 100%, and even if you fail 50 times, people will admire your persistence, because a lot of people are quitters and it's a real turn-off.

But getting back to university, the day you start your degree is the day you start your career. So before you start any sort of degree again, think about whether or not you actually want to do it. If you hesitate one bit. University isn't for you! Based on what I read from you, in that you aren't motivated to sit an exam, answers that question already.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:28:07 pm by Aqualim »

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:49 pm »
Since you say that you do well on in-semester assessments and it's just the exams which are giving you trouble, could it possibly be due to anxiety or panic attacks during the exam? If it's a persisting issue I would recommend maybe talking to an uni advisor/counsellor and I'm sure there will be avenues to deal with such issues. If it is the case that you are not keeping up with the content (not sure how you would do well for in-semester assessments though?) maybe try finding some study groups or just devote more time to studying so that you build more confidence with the material which will hopefully reduce some stress. If you feel like you can bring significant change to how you approach uni next semester, it might be worth it to give it another shot but you definitely need to find the root of the problem first. All the best.

Thanks so much!! I feel like this could be more viable way moving forward.. it could be possible. I actually do have anxiety even though its not diagnosed. yes I do have a psychologist at uni. but unfortunately even though I have been seeing psychologists/counsellors for past 4 semesters in my course, it hasn't been practically effective if I be brutally honest. :( yes I wasn't able to keep up with work, but doing in-semester work well isn't that hard. like if you put up the minimum amount of work required it is possible to do well. but studying for the exams is whole different thing. and what you get in in-semester  doesn't matter at all since all the exams are hurdles. like except for the second year maths unit I have taken(which I have deferred exam for and every single student found it hard) I didn't find any of those units I have failed multiple times as actually 'hard'. that's the only reason I am still considering of keep carrying on. but its hard. but like you said I need to bring significant change to how I approach my studies in next semester. I am not sure how I should go about it though? I don't want to be in the same situation after the next semester. I really want to take some practical steps which will ACTUALLY change my approach for the next semester..

after all, its always hard to keep up with life since I am always by myself.. and it ends up affecting my studies.. :( but I need to find a way to change this around..

Forget university, you need to fix how you approach life. I know what I say here is going to sound harsh, but let's be real here, none of your family or friends are going to tell you this (or maybe they have). Get your shit together. You're on uni break now so I'd do the following:

1. GET A JOB! This is so you don't have to rely on Centrelink payments and have a bit more flexibility in your life. Even if that means walking into every place nearby, Woolworths, Coles, some random fish and chip shop etc. You'll need it for developing a resume and it will allow you to become more social and fix your isolation problem. Yes, some places are going to reject you, but you need to be okay with that. I don't know what you do everyday, but get up early, shower, wear something clean and walk into at least 10 places and ask if they are hiring. As someone who currently works at Woolworths, we mainly hire online, however, I've known some people who I work with who literally walked in and asked for the Store manager, introduced themselves, and said they will take any position. Funnily enough, they got a job within a few days.

2. Defer from your course. You clearly don't care about engineering so why keep doing it. Is it because you think engineers get paid well? No offence, no one will want to hire someone who has 8 fails on their transcript unless they have proven themselves in the industry already or know someone within the company. Take it from me, I did a Bachelor of Accounting and did next to nothing for the duration of my degree (essentially relied on Year 12 knowledge), failed 5 subjects and had a WAM around 61 by the end of it. I went to 16 interviews, most of them requiring a phone call interview and then two face-to-face interviews and no one would hire me, because there was always someone better than me. So basically I've sat through 48 hours worth of interviews and never received a job. I even asked why I they all rejected me, most would tell me to keep doing what I was doing (and sort of felt sorry for me) whilst others straight out told me my marks were really bad. But that hasn't deterred me, I'm still applying and I even went to interview workshops at Deakin (I'm doing my masters there at the moment to get a higher WAM). Bottom line, I'm doing something to fix it.

3. Start meditating everyday and work up to 20 minutes. I assume you have a smart phone, download an app called, 'Calm', it's free, choose a guided meditation and do it everyday. This is the best form of medicine for any mental health problems you may have, as I'm going to assume you don't have a chemical imbalance which requires a prescription form the doctor, but rather you are just feeling depressed because of how everything in your life is turning out. Doing this will allow your brain to stop talking and you will feel amazing afterwards. This will also help remedy how you approach life and could potentially fix your relationship or realise it's a bad one allowing you to move on.

4. Start exercising. Whether that's running, cycling, lifting weights. Do something which requires heavy breathing. I don't know many people, actually I don't know anyone, who after doing some decent recreational exercise feels depressed. Unless you were trying to hit a PB and didn't get it. Lifting weights is a very good idea and I can never recommend it enough to anyone with social anxiety or lack of self-esteem. I've trained consistently for over 5 years and it's dramatically improved my life. I am much more confident, I'm not afraid to speak to people, and overall it just makes you feel good.

4. Find a way to ignite some motivation. Personally I watch Gary Vee videos because he has a no bullshit policy to finding success. I assume you can apply yourself because you needed a fairly decent ATAR to get into Engineering at Monash, so try and look for some passion and drive again. Don't let life screw you over. No one likes someone who is helpless. Instead, be the person who works their ass off and gives everything 100%, and even if you fail 50 times, people will admire your persistence, because a lot of people are quitters and it's a real turn-off.

But getting back to university, the day you start your degree is the day you start your career. So before you start any sort of degree again, think about whether or not you actually want to do it. If you hesitate one bit. University isn't for you! Based on what I read from you, in that you aren't motivated to sit an exam, answers that question already.

THANKS SO MUCH!! really appreciate those words.. I think this one pretty much sums it up on what I should do.. those words really help. as for studying eng, yeah I know I would definitely be in a disadvantage when it comes to jobs, but I've know for a while that if you do engage in other stuff to make you employable then you can make up for those grades. but yeah I know what you mean, even though I always wanted to be an engineer and couldn't think of studying anything else, I have lost the motivation to study. its not just that, long story short, I was living outside Australia and started studying once I got here and now I do not have any family or support for me around at all. so with mentally being unstable, its easier said than done for me :/ as for relationships, I am currently not in a one. but have had issues with it, but oh well you can't always have everything you want. I know that would help me a lot though. but anyway, yes I have started to go to gym again and have been much more consistent than before but yeah will definitely try to keep up with it since I actually enjoy it. I have downloaded few meditation apps as well, thank you for mentioning that. as for job, I hate the idea of walking in to every place to get a job. but I think its high time I start doing that.

there are couple of things I love, music and sport. which I can do all day all night. but as for studying eng, even though I love science/it/eng stuff I just don't LOVE studying those, if that makes sense. again, its hard when I do not have close support around me to keep up with all these. but I will try, like you said no one likes quitters. Thanks again!!

Mod edit (K888) - merged double post
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:15:19 pm by K888 »
Monash University

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:09:52 pm »
+2
Also - may I add just one thing about uni - you don't go to uni to get a job. Like, you may learn skills applicable to some jobs, and some jobs may require a degree before you can be eligible for a particular position -- but you primarily go there to learn. And if you're not learning anything there - there really is no point in being there. So I agree with aqualim. Get a job (woolsworth or whatever), defer uni, and try to keep the self-pitying to a bare minimum or don't do it at all. As someone who is very prone to this, I recommend also exercise + other various empowering activities like practising mindfulness etc. Try to stay action-oriented as much as you can, and most importantly believe that you can do it - since no one else can do it for you.

If you like, I'd recommend having a look around at The School of Life's youtube videos for a bit of identity-searching/understanding. Their basic philosophy is pretty much that everyone is crazy and it's okay. You might like watching some of them, because they intellectualise some things pertinent to everyday life, and it gives you a bit of perspective on how to handle yourself appropriately or even enlighten you on some things you never thought about. Their commitment of course is to spread emotional intelligence, so idk check it out if you have the time.

I hope you get everything sorted and all the best!
2017: VCE COMPLETED

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:31:48 pm »
+5
I was living outside Australia and started studying once I got here and now I do not have any family or support for me around at all. so with mentally being unstable, its easier said than done for me :/
So you're an international student. Do you actually like engineering or are you doing it because of pressure from your parents? It seems as though you were raised with the mentality that you need a degree from a university. I'm sure you have heard from thousands of people you don't need one (peterpiper has just said the same thing). I have plenty of friends who all do apprenticeships and love it, others do online marketing and others build websites for a living (no degree might I add). Due to the internet you can make money doing just about anything. However, things like accounting, finance, medicine, engineering etc. do require a degree.

As for relationships, I am currently not in a one. but have had issues with it, but oh well you can't always have everything you want.
You don't need to be in a relationship to be happy, having someone in your life should supplement it, not revolve around it. Honestly, that might be why you're having problems. If girls (I'm assuming you're male because of engineering) can see that you don't have a path or plan, you will immediately be considered incompatible. Girls are extremely critical, some more-so than others, and will constantly test whether you are a suitable mate for them. Once again, if you want more detail on this, literally YouTube search, how to pick up girls. Everything you are having problems with is a Google search away. Since I'm very into personal development, I'll put you in the right direction. Look up RSD (particularly RSD Tyler, Julien and Todd) on YouTube. Not only do they help men speak to woman, they are very involved with self-improvement, dealing with social anxiety and just living a more fulfilling life. So whether you are a guy or girl you can benefit from listening to them.

I know that would help me a lot though. but anyway, yes I have started to go to gym again and have been much more consistent than before but yeah will definitely try to keep up with it since I actually enjoy it.
Get onto a program, more specifically a strength training program, as it keeps you more accountable. You like video games? Yeah well this is like levelling up in real life. The main focus here will be slow, constant progression for 3-5 years. Starting Strength is one of many good strength programs. If you want more info on this, send me a message or google 'beginner strength programs'.

As for job, I hate the idea of walking in to every place to get a job. but I think its high time I start doing that.
All it takes is 20 seconds of courage, and it can literally change your life. Think about that. Plus once you've done it once and realise it wasn't that bad, the next time will be easier. Pre-prepare what you're going to say if you have to. Walk in and just ask for a manager, introduce yourself and then ask whether or not they have jobs. Easy as that! The worst they can say is no we don't, and they won't be rude.

There are couple of things I love, music and sport. which I can do all day all night. but as for studying eng, even though I love science/it/eng stuff I just don't LOVE studying those, if that makes sense.
Then don't do a degree in it. You like sport, maybe do an exercise science degree instead. I must admit getting a job using exercise science can be quite difficult. But if you really love sport, you'll find a way to make money from it. Honestly, if you want to get into the exercise field, I'd tell you to not even do a degree. Just be very knowledgeable, have proven testimonials and be good at social media marketing.

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 10:40:32 pm »
Also - may I add just one thing about uni - you don't go to uni to get a job. Like, you may learn skills applicable to some jobs, and some jobs may require a degree before you can be eligible for a particular position -- but you primarily go there to learn. And if you're not learning anything there - there really is no point in being there. So I agree with aqualim. Get a job (woolsworth or whatever), defer uni, and try to keep the self-pitying to a bare minimum or don't do it at all. As someone who is very prone to this, I recommend also exercise + other various empowering activities like practising mindfulness etc. Try to stay action-oriented as much as you can, and most importantly believe that you can do it - since no one else can do it for you.

If you like, I'd recommend having a look around at The School of Life's youtube videos for a bit of identity-searching/understanding. Their basic philosophy is pretty much that everyone is crazy and it's okay. You might like watching some of them, because they intellectualise some things pertinent to everyday life, and it gives you a bit of perspective on how to handle yourself appropriately or even enlighten you on some things you never thought about. Their commitment of course is to spread emotional intelligence, so idk check it out if you have the time.

I hope you get everything sorted and all the best!

Thanks so much! the problem with my situation is, deferring makes things whole lot worse imho. experience I had when I deferred before wasn't good. more than that, it will force me to live all alone since I am now living on campus and have some friends around at least. I have some debts that I pay off monthly and losing Centrelink all of a sudden makes it a huge burden for me. besides from my previous experience, when I take time off its hard to come back for studies. not to mention my age. but above all, I always wanted be an engineer. whether I will actually have a career in that or not idk. besides like I mentioned before, even in all those failed units, I didn't find most of the content hard at all. that's why I am so hesitant of giving this up :( but yeah I agree, I should look at some ways to make the course interesting so I actually want to learn! that sounds great I will definitely checkout those youtube channels! Thanks so much again!

So you're an international student. Do you actually like engineering or are you doing it because of pressure from your parents? It seems as though you were raised with the mentality that you need a degree from a university. I'm sure you have heard from thousands of people you don't need one (peterpiper has just said the same thing). I have plenty of friends who all do apprenticeships and love it, others do online marketing and others build websites for a living (no degree might I add). Due to the internet you can make money doing just about anything. However, things like accounting, finance, medicine, engineering etc. do require a degree.

You don't need to be in a relationship to be happy, having someone in your life should supplement it, not revolve around it. Honestly, that might be why you're having problems. If girls (I'm assuming you're male because of engineering) can see that you don't have a path or plan, you will immediately be considered incompatible. Girls are extremely critical, some more-so than others, and will constantly test whether you are a suitable mate for them. Once again, if you want more detail on this, literally YouTube search, how to pick up girls. Everything you are having problems with is a Google search away. Since I'm very into personal development, I'll put you in the right direction. Look up RSD (particularly RSD Tyler, Julien and Todd) on YouTube. Not only do they help men speak to woman, they are very involved with self-improvement, dealing with social anxiety and just living a more fulfilling life. So whether you are a guy or girl you can benefit from listening to them.

Get onto a program, more specifically a strength training program, as it keeps you more accountable. You like video games? Yeah well this is like levelling up in real life. The main focus here will be slow, constant progression for 3-5 years. Starting Strength is one of many good strength programs. If you want more info on this, send me a message or google 'beginner strength programs'.

All it takes is 20 seconds of courage, and it can literally change your life. Think about that. Plus once you've done it once and realise it wasn't that bad, the next time will be easier. Pre-prepare what you're going to say if you have to. Walk in and just ask for a manager, introduce yourself and then ask whether or not they have jobs. Easy as that! The worst they can say is no we don't, and they won't be rude.

Then don't do a degree in it. You like sport, maybe do an exercise science degree instead. I must admit getting a job using exercise science can be quite difficult. But if you really love sport, you'll find a way to make money from it. Honestly, if you want to get into the exercise field, I'd tell you to not even do a degree. Just be very knowledgeable, have proven testimonials and be good at social media marketing.

I am not an international student, but yeah I have a foreign background. but for sure no, I actually wanted to do engineering. I never took decisions under parent's influence or anything. Its always been me. as I mentioned before, I always wanted be an engineer and I love stuff related to those but just doesn't have that passion to study. but just about everyone I meet in y course or at least most of them, don't LOVE studying it, but they are somehow sticking to it and getting through the course. when I ask, everyone I know says how hard the course is and all that but doing it anyway.. I unfortunately don't have any interest in sports science or stuff like that :( So its I have very little to no option when it comes to the choice of study..
Definitely, I have actually started following a strength training program, thanks that definitely helps to keep up the motivation for exercising.
Yeah that's true, all it takes is the first step. I will definitely start doing that. having a regular income would take so much stress away from me.
As for the relationship part, yeah I couldn't agree more! I will definitely look in to those. although I am not trying to rely on a girl or anything. like I am not trying revolve my happiness around a girl but having that 'family' helps you know specially when you are all by yourself. I mean friends, professionals are only there for specific period of time. whether be it an appointment with a counsellor for one hour or catching up with a friend for a coffee or something. but if you have someone closer than that, then it would be bit different you know. but yeah I get it. I'll start looking in to those youtube channels . Thanks again for all these support! means a lot!

Mod edit (K888) - merged double post
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:13:08 pm by K888 »
Monash University

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 11:21:14 pm »
+3
I am not an international student, but yeah I have a foreign background. but for sure no, I actually wanted to do engineering. I never took decisions under parent's influence or anything. Its always been me. as I mentioned before, I always wanted be an engineer and I love stuff related to those but just doesn't have that passion to study. but just about everyone I meet in y course or at least most of them, don't LOVE studying it, but they are somehow sticking to it and getting through the course.

Not everyone likes exams, it's just something you have to do. The system isn't going to change any time soon, so I'd just suck it up around exam time and give it everything you have got. Since you are quite isolated it might seem like everyone else is having a fun life whilst you are stuck studying, which can be very demotivating. Just know that there are another 50,000+ people doing the same thing you are. As you said, the content isn't hard, so memorising and understanding it shouldn't be difficult for you. If you can, find subjects which have no exams, if you really hate them that much.

EDIT: If you are competitive like I am, use exams as an opportunity to get the top mark in the class. So instead of thinking, how much do I need to pass, think how am I going to not lose a mark.

Also, I'd definitely do something about those 8 failed subjects. Maybe try and transfer courses so your record for this degree is a clean slate.

As for the relationship part, yeah I couldn't agree more! I will definitely look in to those. although I am not trying to rely on a girl or anything. like I am not trying revolve my happiness around a girl but having that 'family' helps you know specially when you are all by yourself. I mean friends, professionals are only there for specific period of time. whether be it an appointment with a counsellor for one hour or catching up with a friend for a coffee or something. but if you have someone closer than that, then it would be bit different you know.
Yeah, but you'll still come across as needy, which is a massive deterrent. You don't need a girlfriend, you just need friends. Join a club at uni if you plan on staying. Pick a sport you like and join that club. Done.

Best of luck with it all :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:33:44 pm by Aqualim »

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:30:11 pm »
+9
Aqualim has given you some really amazing advice, and honestly, it has the potential to be really life-changing. You have a chance to turn your life around, but there's something very important to understand behind all of this. You will not be able to succeed in changing your life and moving forward if you don't make huge changes to your attitude, work ethic, and habits. None of these are things that will change in the course of one day, or a couple of days for that matter. This means that you can't lie to yourself, either. It'll be very easy for you to go back to university and fall back into the same pattern, aiming just to pass your subjects or get by as you find most comfortable. The unfortunate reality is that you're going to have to experience a bit of pain and challenge before you find yourself, whether that be getting rejected the first time you look for a job at Woolies or whatever. If you ask me, I agree with Aqualim: use your version of rock bottom as a bedrock for a better academic and social career while you still have that option. As an aside, maybe you can use this thread to track your progress as a way to have a system of accountability. Best of luck, I genuinely hope you succeed in what makes you happy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:42:44 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:10:25 am »
+1
Not everyone likes exams, it's just something you have to do. The system isn't going to change any time soon, so I'd just suck it up around exam time and give it everything you have got. Since you are quite isolated it might seem like everyone else is having a fun life whilst you are stuck studying, which can be very demotivating. Just know that there are another 50,000+ people doing the same thing you are. As you said, the content isn't hard, so memorising and understanding it shouldn't be difficult for you. If you can, find subjects which have no exams, if you really hate them that much.

EDIT: If you are competitive like I am, use exams as an opportunity to get the top mark in the class. So instead of thinking, how much do I need to pass, think how am I going to not lose a mark.

Also, I'd definitely do something about those 8 failed subjects. Maybe try and transfer courses so your record for this degree is a clean slate.
Yeah, but you'll still come across as needy, which is a massive deterrent. You don't need a girlfriend, you just need friends. Join a club at uni if you plan on staying. Pick a sport you like and join that club. Done.

Best of luck with it all :)

Thank you, look like I definitely have to suck it up. I think as soon as I find a way that works for me to continuously keep up with studies I should be better prepared for exams. or at least exam time would be less stressful .
Yes absolutely. I'll always looked upon as needy in that situation. I have realised that over the time. even though its not what I am and even though sucks I get it. Yeah the more people I have in my life the less I feel the need of a girl friend. or to worry/think about single person I guess. I have been putting myself out there bit more recently.. but I will keep doing so like you said. Thanks again for all these support!!!

Aqualim has given you some really amazing advice, and honestly, it has the potential to be really life-changing. You have a chance to turn your life around, but there's something very important to understand behind all of this. You will not be able to succeed in changing your life and moving forward if you don't make huge changes to your attitude, work ethic, and habits. None of these are things that will change in the course of one day, or a couple of days for that matter. This means that you can't lie to yourself, either. It'll be very easy for you to go back to university and fall back into the same pattern, aiming just to pass your subjects or get by as you find most comfortable. The unfortunate reality is that you're going to have to experience a bit of pain and challenge before you find yourself, whether that be getting rejected the first time you look for a job at Woolies or whatever. If you ask me, I agree with Aqualim: use your version of rock bottom as a bedrock for a better academic and social career while you still have that option. As an aside, maybe you can use this thread to track your progress as a way to have a system of accountability. Best of luck, I genuinely hope you succeed in what makes you happy.

first I want to say it feels great to have all these support. It makes me feel better. It really does. So thanks so much!!
Yeah I couldn't agree more! I have to take action, nothing would change if I don't take action. and yeah its a gradual process and it'll take time. I am very much aware of the fact that there is every chance that I could fall into the same pattern again. I'll make every effort not to let that happen. after all its my life. I think I'll start taking some action from tomorrow itself. I'll go for couple of places around to look for jobs. I'll be soon meeting my psychologists as well. Again, those words means a lot. I really hope I'll be able to change things around. I'll definitely bookmark the thread. Thanks so much for the wish!!!
Monash University

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 02:38:26 pm »
still couldn't find a job :/ struggling with all of this by being so broke :/
Monash University

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 05:37:03 pm »
+4
still couldn't find a job :/ struggling with all of this by being so broke :/

Keep your head up and don't feel disheartened! It takes a long time to find the very first job. I think the best way to find a job is to start small, like going into a small business e.g. a restaurant that's hiring near-ish your place and give them your resume. Even if it turns out to be dish washing for a year and you get paid peanuts (or even not at all), it'll be some experience that you can put down. Once you have something, then more doors will open. Just show dedication and persistence. You can do it! 

(Sorry for the short reply, I'm trying to change my study habits and attempting some advice from a friend to improve my productivity and my sleep schedule.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 06:46:33 pm »
+1
Keep your head up and don't feel disheartened! It takes a long time to find the very first job. I think the best way to find a job is to start small, like going into a small business e.g. a restaurant that's hiring near-ish your place and give them your resume. Even if it turns out to be dish washing for a year and you get paid peanuts (or even not at all), it'll be some experience that you can put down. Once you have something, then more doors will open. Just show dedication and persistence. You can do it! 

(Sorry for the short reply, I'm trying to change my study habits and attempting some advice from a friend to improve my productivity and my sleep schedule.)

Thanks so much. no that's okay. appreciate the response! :)
Yes I agree. I am actually cold calling; going around and handing my resume and asking for jobs even though I haven't had much luck yet. but yeah I know its all about the persistence. I will keep trying. Thanks :) 
Monash University