Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:49:32 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568089 times)  Share 

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1335 on: September 24, 2017, 09:22:23 pm »
Question on option topics:
It seems like the legal syllabus is pretty flawed - you're only on both options with one essay. Doesn't this mean learning all the syllabus dot points for these options is completely unnecessary - all you need is lcm's. I did this for my trial and still managed a mid 80% mark. Just asking for your opinions on this - did you study it all or just lcm's

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1336 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:52 pm »
+1

Question on option topics:
It seems like the legal syllabus is pretty flawed - you're only on both options with one essay. Doesn't this mean learning all the syllabus dot points for these options is completely unnecessary - all you need is lcm's. I did this for my trial and still managed a mid 80% mark. Just asking for your opinions on this - did you study it all or just lcm's

I just studied LCM’s! You’re 100% right - Only learn the content that you can use in essays (which is very little besides LCM’s )

matkdifjq

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1337 on: September 25, 2017, 04:20:06 pm »
Question!

For our options, the general trend of the question seems to be one about specific issue (surrogacy/birth tech in family) and another more general theme/challenge based (resolving conflict in family).

Would it be safe to answer the general question with reference to only one issue?

For example, if the general question asks about legal and non legal measures in achieving just outcomes for family members, could I just talk about same sex couples (with discrimination, marriage and divorce forming my main paragraphs)?

Cheers for your time :)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1338 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:17 pm »
+5
Question!

For our options, the general trend of the question seems to be one about specific issue (surrogacy/birth tech in family) and another more general theme/challenge based (resolving conflict in family).

Would it be safe to answer the general question with reference to only one issue?

For example, if the general question asks about legal and non legal measures in achieving just outcomes for family members, could I just talk about same sex couples (with discrimination, marriage and divorce forming my main paragraphs)?

Cheers for your time :)

Hey,
If nobody has said so yet, welcome to the forums! I hope you find it as helpful a place as I have  :)

On with your question, I agree that options essays tend to resemble that sort of style. I will however warn you that this isn't always the case.
There have been years where both questions asked for a specific issue, as well as a theme/challenge. Take 2015 for instance:

a) To what extent is law reform regarding alternate family relationships a reflection of changing values?
Here you have two themes/challenges, being law reform and changing values. You then have the specific issue being alternate family relationships (yikes)

b) Assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses in dealing with domestic violence
Again, we have a combination of the themes/challenges and a specific issue

Honestly though, the entire 2015 paper was a mess so I would be fairly confident that our year would be that specific issue / theme/challenge style questions. Just note that you need to be prepared to talk about specific issues and a theme/challenge in the same essay, because it is very much so possible.

Now for your question:

Personally, I wouldn't recommend this. To begin, what I assume you mean by "issues" are the contemporary issues in the syllabus. Now you could technically do this since the question doesn't specify which section of the syllabus you need to talk about. But that's the thing - the question isn't limiting you, so why limit yourself? If anything, limiting yourself to just the issue of 'same sex relationships' actually detracts from the completeness of your argument. To put things into perspective, here are the things that you could potentially talk about in this question:

Legal and non-legal measures in achieving just outcomes for family members
-Adoption
-Divorce
-Legal consequences of separating
-Domestic violence
-Courts, methods, NGOs, media
-Same sex relationships
-Surrogacy and birth technologies
-Changing nature of parental responsibility
-Care and protection of children

So really, there are so many potential avenues for you to explore. With such a broad question, limiting yourself to JUST the 'same sex relationships' issue is only giving you a very, very small piece of the pie. Personally, I would only have a paragraph dedicated to same sex couples at most, where I would briefly mention what you brought up (discrimination, marriage, divorce). Your other paragraphs should be on something completely different, such as domestic violence. That way you're engaging with all aspects of the question and in turn, you're maximising your marks. I'll also bring up the fact that the question asks for 'families'; This encompasses all types of families, so de facto, heterosexual, homosexual, single-parent, and most importantly, it encompasses the needs of the children as well.

Essentially, I don't think it would be safe to answer a general question with reference only to one issue. When you're presented with a general question, you need to engage with all aspects of it rather than limit yourself to a single issue. Only ever have a whole essay on a single issue when the question specifies for that issue only. I.e. Assess the effectiveness of the legal and non-legal measures in dealing with same sex relationships.

Hope that helps :)
Honestly though, it's a lot to take in and I might not be making sense at this time of night, so feel free to ask some questions or even challenge what I'm saying because I could easily be wrong.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1339 on: September 26, 2017, 11:44:29 pm »
Hi I just a quick question. What is the difference between government and Parliament?

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1340 on: September 26, 2017, 11:59:33 pm »
+2
Hi I just a quick question. What is the difference between government and Parliament?

http://australianpolitics.com/democracy/key-terms/parliament-and-government

Good link to answer your questions in ways better than I could  ;D
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1341 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:07 pm »
hiii friends.

this is from the 2016 paper: "‘The law aims to protect human rights. However, human rights are not always enforced in practice.’ Assess this statement with reference to ONE contemporary issue."

i don't understand the second part of the quote... can someone help me out?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1342 on: September 27, 2017, 11:28:44 pm »
+7
hiii friends.

this is from the 2016 paper: "‘The law aims to protect human rights. However, human rights are not always enforced in practice.’ Assess this statement with reference to ONE contemporary issue."

"The law aims to protect human rights."
I would talk about how the law protects or promotes the rights of your specific issue (also internationally if you can), and what they aim to achieve with those measures.
...human rights are not always enforced in practice.
I would talk about the things out there that impede on the upholding of rights, like a loophole or something. Governments can pass laws to do what they want because of state sovereignty can be a good one for issues like human trafficking or asylum seekers (Australia and its Migration Act).
Another possible approach is the "balancing of individual rights" (kinda like in crime) where one person's rights infringe on other people's rights. A good example is "freedom of speech" and that everyone does not like hate speech.
Hope this helps ;D

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1343 on: September 28, 2017, 09:50:11 am »
Also, could someone please explain how B is the answer to this?

Which of the following situations best illustrates the recognition and enforcement of human rights by the Australian legal system?
(A) When a court orders the release from custody of a 15-year-old person
(B) When a court declares that protest action by animal rights activists is legal
(C) When the Australian Parliament passes a law that makes discrimination illegal
(D) When students are denied access to classes for two weeks because of vandalism

And how A is the answer to this?
Which of the following factors accepting criminal behaviour are most likely the cause of Samuel and Andrew's actions?
Samuel and Andrew’s actions?
(A) Economic factors
(B) Social factors
(C) Self Interest
(D) Political factors
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:57:08 am by georgiia »

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #1344 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:20 am »

Which of the following situations best illustrates the recognition and enforcement of human rights by the Australian legal system?
(B) When a court declares that protest action by animal rights activists is legal
(C) When the Australian Parliament passes a law that makes discrimination illegal
(D) When students are denied access to classes for two weeks because of vandalism

Which of the following factors accepting criminal behaviour are most likely the cause of Samuel and Andrew's actions?
(A) Economic factors
(B) Social factors
(C) Self Interest
(D) Political factors

The first one I am not too sure about because I thought it would be C from first view

As for the second one, what is the rest of the question, like what have they committed or been accused of because I cannot really answer the question without knowing that  :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1345 on: September 28, 2017, 11:09:36 am »
+3
hiii friends.

Adding to what MisterNeo said,
I think that the second part is alluding to state sovereignty, or general limitations to the law. So essentially, while the UDHR is an example of soft law that attempts to uphold human rights, nation states don't need to follow it if it is not in their best interests. I don't know what you're contemporary issue is, so it would be dependent on that. Another idea could be about the ineffectiveness of the law; So I'm just going to use a Crime example since we might be doing different contemporary issues. Let's say for bail, the whole point of it is to protect society while simultaneously upholding the accused's presumption of innocence. However, in practice, people who have commit indictable offences are still given bail - evident in the Lindt Cafe Siege. Here, the law has the intention of upholding something, but it isn't actual being enforced in practice.

Just in case you're doing human trafficking and slavery. I would mention the fact that only 117/171 nations have ratified the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, especially Women and Children 2000. This would show how state sovereignty can limit the ability for human rights to be enforced in practice. You could also mention the invisibility of human trafficking, so even though Australia has ratified the protocol, it still exists as the AFP face difficulties in detecting and dealing with the crime.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #1346 on: September 28, 2017, 11:14:37 am »
What body paragraphs could constitute the question

"Examine how the nature of crime and type of offences affects the criminal trial process"

Never seen a question like it  :o
HSC subjects

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1347 on: September 28, 2017, 11:15:33 am »
The first one I am not too sure about because I thought it would be C from first view

As for the second one, what is the rest of the question, like what have they committed or been accused of because I cannot really answer the question without knowing that  :)

Yeah I thought the first one was C too...

Sorry completely forgot to post the photo. Here it is :)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1348 on: September 28, 2017, 11:20:49 am »

Hey there, I did this trial!

The answers were

1D
2A
3C
4B
5C
6B
7C
8B
9D
10A
11A
12B
13C
14D
15A
16C
17D
18A
19D
20B

Thanks so much!!:)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1349 on: September 28, 2017, 11:22:13 am »
+3

(A) Economic factors
(B) Social factors
(C) Self Interest
(D) Political factors

My best bet for the first question would be the fact that it's the only option that actually references the syllabus. i.e. environmental rights.

The second question is political factors. I know that the answers say otherwise, but many other trial papers actually have errors on the answer sheet.
HSC 2017: