Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:55:02 am

Author Topic: Studying for the UCAT  (Read 2042 times)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Studying for the UCAT
« on: January 18, 2021, 11:34:02 am »
Hi everyone! I've been doing UCAT practice for a month or so and I was wondering when to aim to start timed practice questions? Do any high achievers have any tips for increasing accuracy in all the subsections? studying for the UCAT is so daunting because I keep getting questions wrong ahaha
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Studying for the UCAT
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 05:16:50 pm »
+8
Hi!

Usually I'd say start timed questions when you're confident in your ability to answer the majority of questions in the question pool (excluding curveballs). When starting, I'd also say don't worry about the time limit as much because it's something you still have plenty of time to work towards - focus on getting the questions right instead at first. Afterwards, in the lead up to the exam focus on finding the balance between speed/accuracy that maximises your result - you don't want to rush and screw up, nor you do want to leave too much blank. Slowly build-up question recognition, confidence and speed and find your level, I suppose. Don't worry too much either if people are starting to do mocks and stuff before you, everyone does things at their own pace. While I wouldn't be surprised if people rushing into mocks did well, I also wouldn't be surprised at all if you outperformed some of them either.

I get that UCAT is a bit daunting - it definitely was for me too! Getting questions wrong and losing confidence starts a really crappy cycle of losing confidence -> not practicing -> getting questions wrong -> losing confidence etc. I got stuck at the second step for the longest time - easiest way to break it is do some untimed easy stuff where you focus on getting stuff right. It's a long grind and still quite a long way away so don't feel too stressed out about it.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Studying for the UCAT
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:28 am »
+1
Very late reply from me but thank you so much for the reply fun_jirachi!!! I'm feeling a lot more confident now thanks to your advice!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips