Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:21 pm

Author Topic: After Year 12: Q & A Thread  (Read 18320 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: After Year 12: Q & A Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2018, 06:17:17 pm »
To everyone who I've said potentially could have subject bonuses from The University of Melbourne, my sincerest apologies for misleading you all. Apparently they've changed things since what I remember in 2014, meaning that subject bonuses are unlikely a thing at The University of Melbourne any more. I've only recently discovered this myself in this thread. Sorry again.

Regardless, I would advise that your first preference should still remain as what you wanted most, as this gives you the chance to still get in and is much better than leaving it off your preferences entirely (giving you absolutely zero chance).
Is going to Uni for music a good idea?
If you really enjoy it and/ or want to pursue a career in music, why not?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

jake4121

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2018, 06:45:30 pm »
Hey AN,

I was just wondering what my chances of getting into the Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) (Honours) at RMIT would be considering that I got a 69.05, whilst on the website it states that a 80.60 is needed. I have applied for the SEAS Category 2, as I am from a financially disadvantaged background which means I could receive up to 15 aggregate points and I am also eligible for subject bonuses for Physics and Chemistry which could be another 3 aggregate points on top of the Category 2.

Thank you!  :D

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 06:58:13 pm »
+2
Hey AN,

I was just wondering what my chances of getting into the Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) (Honours) at RMIT would be considering that I got a 69.05, whilst on the website it states that a 80.60 is needed. I have applied for the SEAS Category 2, as I am from a financially disadvantaged background which means I could receive up to 15 aggregate points and I am also eligible for subject bonuses for Physics and Chemistry which could be another 3 aggregate points on top of the Category 2.

Thank you!  :D
If your SEAS has been already accepted (by now, most institutes have issued some type of notice as to whether that was accepted or not), then yeah, you've got a good solid chance right there. I just checked using this link and it looks like you exceeded the lowest ATAR accepted, so that's a sign in your favour too. :)
VTAC Info Thread

jake4121

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 07:11:31 pm »
If your SEAS has been already accepted (by now, most institutes have issued some type of notice as to whether that was accepted or not), then yeah, you've got a good solid chance right there. I just checked using this link and it looks like you exceeded the lowest ATAR accepted, so that's a sign in your favour too. :)

Thank you for that! Was just wondering if anyone has received the SEAS email from RMIT. I have only received the Melbourne and Monash SEAS email so far and stressing out.  :-\

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 07:12:47 pm »
Thank you for that! Was just wondering if anyone has received the SEAS email from RMIT. I have only received the Melbourne and Monash SEAS email so far and stressing out.  :-\
I haven't received RMIT either - not sure if they send anything or if they just add points without telling us.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

jake4121

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 08:14:38 pm »
I haven't received RMIT either - not sure if they send anything or if they just add points without telling us.

Hopefully they let us know, I mean my Melbourne University SEAS got processed for the same category I applied for on VTAC so hopefully it applies to RMIT too.

petersenge

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2018, 12:16:12 am »
Hi,

How do I know if Melbourne Uni has accepted me for the Access Melbourne program?
Monash already emailed me saying I'm accepted for the Monash Guarantee but nothing from Melbourne.

Thanks!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2018, 12:40:45 am »
Hi,

How do I know if Melbourne Uni has accepted me for the Access Melbourne program?
Monash already emailed me saying I'm accepted for the Monash Guarantee but nothing from Melbourne.

Thanks!
Might be early days, as Access Melbourne notifications could be still arriving around this weekend, give or take several business days either side. (Same with some other institutes.)

I recall in previous years you could ask about Access Melbourne status during Melbourne's Change of Preference Day. If that's too hard to get to e.g. you're rural, then try calling them instead and checking up on it.
VTAC Info Thread

IFailedYr12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2018, 11:55:55 am »
For the guarantee your ATAR before SEAS adjustments is used, so unfortunately you won't be able to get in using the guarantee (as PF said). However, your SEAS adjusted ATAR may be enough to meet the clearly in. You can use this to estimate your SEAS adjusted ATAR for Monash.

I recommend leaving your courses in order of preference in case SEAS gives you enough adjustment to get in on round one.
If you haven't already, you may also wish to add a course with a clearly-in below 73 to your preference list

Good luck, and I hope this helps

(also: re your username. Getting an ATAR means you didn't fail VCE.)

It says on the calculator my estimated selection rank is 83.70 - is this a good estimation/good?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2018, 12:06:25 pm »
It says on the calculator my estimated selection rank is 83.70 - is this a good estimation/good?

The estimation will be fairly accurate since it's made by Monash, whether it's good or not will depend on how the course you're looking at - Monash releases the ATAR profiles for their courses so you can look at that to provide some guidance.

IFailedYr12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2018, 01:03:54 pm »
The estimation will be fairly accurate since it's made by Monash, whether it's good or not will depend on how the course you're looking at - Monash releases the ATAR profiles for their courses so you can look at that to provide some guidance.

So for BA of I.T/Arts the lowest selection rank was 81.75 where the estimated one was 83.70.

But the median is 88.65

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2018, 01:50:20 pm »
Does anyone have any idea of my chances at a Monash or LTU excellence (Academic achievement) scholarship? I have an ATAR of 99.75, I think the first round offers have been released for both but is there a chance for second round? If so, does anyone know when/how I would find out about this?
Thanks so much!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2018, 02:02:16 pm »
So for BA of I.T/Arts the lowest selection rank was 81.75 where the estimated one was 83.70.

But the median is 88.65

This suggest to me that you have a decent chance of getting in; but if the course is more popular this year you might miss out.

Does anyone have any idea of my chances at a Monash or LTU excellence (Academic achievement) scholarship? I have an ATAR of 99.75, I think the first round offers have been released for both but is there a chance for second round? If so, does anyone know when/how I would find out about this?
Thanks so much!

I don't know about LTU, but this suggests that first round offers aren't complete for Monash excellence

userrrname

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2018, 02:21:20 pm »
Hey, I dont know where to ask this. Our school had told us that to apply for any scholarship all we had to do is to apply to vtac and we will automatically be considered for any scholarship we are eligible for. After looking at some unis (namely monash and melbourne) it appears that you have to also apply through the uni... Is this correct? Where do we apply for scholarships? And it seems its way past the closing date. I'm so confused

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2018, 02:29:31 pm »
Hey, I dont know where to ask this. Our school had told us that to apply for any scholarship all we had to do is to apply to vtac and we will automatically be considered for any scholarship we are eligible for. After looking at some unis (namely monash and melbourne) it appears that you have to also apply through the uni... Is this correct? Where do we apply for scholarships? And it seems its way past the closing date. I'm so confused

Lots of scholarships are through VTAC but not all of them.  I'm sorry that your school told you that - it's factually incorrect.

There are some scholarships that can still be applied for so I recommend checking lists of scholarships to see if you might be eligible for any of those.
Many the scholarships that don't go through VTAC are from external providers, and so you can expect to need to make separate applications for each you apply to.

If you have a careers counsellor or similar at your school, consider emailing them to see if they'll help you find suitable ones