Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:49 am

Poll

Should critic quotes be used in mod A or B essays?

Critics Quotes are a yes!! Must needed
0 (0%)
Only use them if absolutely sure they contribute positively to thematic argument and thesis
4 (100%)
No way!! Only quotes from your text
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: October 21, 2020, 08:06:08 pm

Author Topic: Critics Quotes- Mod A & B?  (Read 3042 times)

HS26

• Adventurer
  • one direction is my coping mechanism for the HSC
  • Respect: 0
Critics Quotes- Mod A & B?
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:42:27 pm »
Hi! I'm a bit confused, for our module A (I'm doing R3 AND LFR) and Module B (TS ELIOT) essays, should we use critics quotes or stick to using quotes from the texts? Do markers have a special preference or does it show a more sophisticated understanding? I would really appreciate some insight on this, I'm super worried for tomorrow!!! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:04:03 pm by HS26 »
:)

gopy

• Fresh Poster
Re: Critics Quotes- Mod A & B?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:47 pm »
Hi! I'm a bit confused, for our module A (I'm doing R3 AND LFR) and Module B (TS ELIOT) essays, should we use critics quotes or stick to using quotes from the texts? Do markers have a special preference or does it show a more sophisticated understanding? I would really appreciate some insight on this, I'm super worried for tomorrow!!! Thanks!
My teacher and tutor said you wouldn't need any for Mod A but it is recommended that you have at least one for Mod B

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:16:36 pm »
+4

Hey, HS26!

Welcome to the forums! You don't don't need to have critic quotes for Module A but it is usually recommended in Module B as a way to, at a very superficial level, demonstrate that you have engaged and considered critical perspectives on your texts and to enhance your analysis. If you're worried about not being able to source your own ones with the exam tomorrow, I made a Critics Quotes thread which has some for T.S Eliot that you might like to explore the resources for and use here. I would recommend at most one per body paragraph but as gopy has said, having just one will do  :)

Ultimately, the critics quotes are there to elevate your response but they are not substitutes for actual quotes and techniques from your prescribed texts. I've seen Band 6 samples that didn't have any critics quotes used so the textual evidence you supply and analyse are where your marks will always come from  :D Hope that alleviates any concerns and all the best for Paper 2 tomorrow!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

HS26

• Adventurer
  • one direction is my coping mechanism for the HSC
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:29:02 pm »
Thanks so much! This really helps :) If you don't mind me asking, what were your core thematic ideas surrounding Eliot for your exam? I've done practice to cover his perspective on urban decay, gender, desire for intimacy, the omnipresence of death and his journey towards religion. What else is possible to come up in the exam?
:)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 09:38:14 pm »
+6
Thanks so much! This really helps :) If you don't mind me asking, what were your core thematic ideas surrounding Eliot for your exam? I've done practice to cover his perspective on urban decay, gender, desire for intimacy, the omnipresence of death and his journey towards religion. What else is possible to come up in the exam?

Hey, HS26!

I didn't study Eliot myself in the HSC but I have taught his poems before. I think those ideas encompass Eliot in his entirety. Whatever question you get will ultimately draw from those ideas in some way so even if you get a really whacky statement or an awkward extract from one of the poems that you have to discuss in the response, any of those ideas (and variations of them such as "futility of life" which ties in with the "omnipresence of death" notion you've practised with) will connect to it. Some alternative questions they might ask could be on something super broad like relationships (Prufrock is great for this if you wanted to take a more literal approach but you could also interpret the question in other ways which invite you to discuss his relationships with religion, the urban world or even the absence of meaningful human connections in his society) or individuality (to which you could make the argument that his poetry explores alienation and loneliness in a paradoxical attempt to immerse and engage with the reader deeply).

The only other option you should be prepared for is a generic (or specific) question which specifies a poem you have to use. I highly doubt NESA will do that to this cohort but it's always better safe than sorry. If you haven't already, try to have at least three quotes for the other poems which you don't plan on using as your main ones in the unlikely event NESA specifies one. You don't need to think too deeply about which ones to use; just pick the most memorable examples you can so it'll stick with you in these remaining hours until Paper 2  :) I'm sure you'll do well tomorrow; have faith in what you've prepared. Good luck and let us know how it goes  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music