Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:19:53 pm

Author Topic: Study Abroad/Exchange?  (Read 978 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Study Abroad/Exchange?
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:08:07 pm »
+1
I have recently been given the opportunity to do a study abroad program through UoM. I am studying a Masters in IT and I am interested in Winter intensive programs instead of semester long programs.

The two programs I am considering are:

1. Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Gem Trailblazer - June-July Short Term Programs
2. Harvard University Summer School June-July Short Term Programs

Pricing for each of these is somewhat hefty (2-5k after grants), however I think it's worth it as I haven't traveled before.

What are your thoughts? Does an intensive subject seem worth it?
What are your exchange/abroad experiences?
Any tips/tricks, things I should consider and look out for?

Cheers,
Full time Academic & proud PhD dropout. 🤓

Grad years:
2013: VCE
2016: Bachelor of Information Technology @ LTU
2017: Bachelor of Computer Science (Honours) @ LTU
2020: Master of Information Technology (Cybersecurity) @ UoM

Teaching:
2016-2017: Head Tutor @ LTU
2018-2019: Teaching Associate @ LTU

stella_atarnotes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
Re: Study Abroad/Exchange?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:13:36 pm »
+3
I have recently been given the opportunity to do a study abroad program through UoM. I am studying a Masters in IT and I am interested in Winter intensive programs instead of semester long programs.

The two programs I am considering are:

1. Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Gem Trailblazer - June-July Short Term Programs
2. Harvard University Summer School June-July Short Term Programs

Pricing for each of these is somewhat hefty (2-5k after grants), however I think it's worth it as I haven't traveled before.

What are your thoughts? Does an intensive subject seem worth it?
What are your exchange/abroad experiences?
Any tips/tricks, things I should consider and look out for?

Cheers,

Hey, I reckon study abroad is a great opportunity especially if you haven't done it yet as part of your degree. Even if it is an intensive subject, you will get a lot out of it. I recently came back from doing a subject overseas and honestly, it beat the whole year I spent at uni! If you are worried about the cost, try to look at it from different perspectives. If you plan time to travel before or after your study abroad, you get to have fun and study for the same price! Also definitely look into any scholarship programs available to you. For UoM, you can get a maximum of 1k scholarship from the Global Mobility scheme. If you really want to cut down the cost, maybe apply through New Colombo Scholarship (although this is Asia only) or go for a semester exchange. Good luck and hope you have fun!