Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:32:15 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570644 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #13005 on: September 24, 2020, 10:52:29 pm »
+2
With hardy Weinberg how do you remember that p is dominant and q is recessive

it's standard in probability that q = 1-p. It does not matter for the HW maths at all whether you have p or q as recessive & you also don't need to remember the HW equations for the current study design :)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #13006 on: September 25, 2020, 09:31:35 am »
If promoters are at the 5' end, then why aren't mRNA strands synthesised 3' to 5'? Wouldn't RNA polymerase have to bind to the promoter first and continue downstream to the 3' end?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #13007 on: September 25, 2020, 09:56:11 am »
+5
If promoters are at the 5' end, then why aren't mRNA strands synthesised 3' to 5'? Wouldn't RNA polymerase have to bind to the promoter first and continue downstream to the 3' end?

The RNA polymerase binds to the promotor region when the two strands are together, and then it separates the two strands of DNA, and then it goes along the 'template strand' which is the 3' to 5' strand to synthesise the 5' to 3' mRNA.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

p0kem0n21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #13008 on: September 27, 2020, 10:16:30 am »
Hey guys! I'm planning on doing bio 3/4 next year for year 11 without doing the 1/2. While I am not too concerned about learning the content, I'm more worried about learning HOW to answer short/long-answer questions in a concise, but 'full' manner. What can I do to improve this skill?

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13009 on: September 27, 2020, 10:20:49 am »
+4
Hey guys! I'm planning on doing bio 3/4 next year for year 11 without doing the 1/2. While I am not too concerned about learning the content, I'm more worried about learning HOW to answer short/long-answer questions in a concise, but 'full' manner. What can I do to improve this skill?
Hi! Practice is key and doing practice questions consistently throughout the year and marking them will allow you to find your mistakes and fix them. The best thing to do is before answering the questions, plan out your response and think of any key terms to put in your answer. For example, with enzymes I usually mention 'specific active site' or 'enzyme-subtrate complex.'You won't get this ability straight away and it will take time, so the best thing to do is practice this in the summer holidays and eventually you will see some spicy progress. All the best!

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #13010 on: September 27, 2020, 03:08:24 pm »
What is some evidence that supports the multiregional theory of human evolution? I know physical differences between current sapiens populations and the lack of genetic diversity in current humans are evidence, but how does this support the theory?
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13011 on: September 27, 2020, 04:44:13 pm »
+6
What is some evidence that supports the multiregional theory of human evolution? I know physical differences between current sapiens populations and the lack of genetic diversity in current humans are evidence, but how does this support the theory?
The physical differences supports the multiregional theory because it hypothesises that homo sapiens evolved mostly separately for a much longer time than the out of Africa hypothesis, so more time for differences to occur. (I might be wrong, but are you sure lack of genetic diversity supports the multiregional theory, because I thought higher genetic diversity would support it because multiregional suggests humans spread out a lot earlier than the out-of-Africa?). I think the fossil record provided evidence for multiregional, whereas now that newer technology can be used, we can use genetic evidence which supports the out-of-Africa hypothesis. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #13012 on: September 27, 2020, 05:58:22 pm »
+6
The physical differences supports the multiregional theory because it hypothesises that homo sapiens evolved mostly separately for a much longer time than the out of Africa hypothesis, so more time for differences to occur. (I might be wrong, but are you sure lack of genetic diversity supports the multiregional theory, because I thought higher genetic diversity would support it because multiregional suggests humans spread out a lot earlier than the out-of-Africa?). I think the fossil record provided evidence for multiregional, whereas now that newer technology can be used, we can use genetic evidence which supports the out-of-Africa hypothesis. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong
I think low genetic diversity supports the theory because it supports that there was consistent gene flow between different populations of H. Sapiens, which helped them all evolve into H. Sapiens in the end.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13013 on: September 27, 2020, 07:00:45 pm »
+1
Hey! For plant barriers, is it enough to know physical and chemical barriers?
For physical I remember cellulose, bark, and waxy cuticles of leaves and for chemical I know oxalic acid (substance excreted and is toxic when ingested), phenol (secreted by wounded plants which repel/kill microorganisms), and saponin which disrupts the membrane of fungi.
Are there any for each you would recommend knowing?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13014 on: September 27, 2020, 08:14:24 pm »
+6
Hey! For plant barriers, is it enough to know physical and chemical barriers?
For physical I remember cellulose, bark, and waxy cuticles of leaves and for chemical I know oxalic acid (substance excreted and is toxic when ingested), phenol (secreted by wounded plants which repel/kill microorganisms), and saponin which disrupts the membrane of fungi.
Are there any for each you would recommend knowing?
Yeah, that's all you'd need to know for plant barriers  :)

I think low genetic diversity supports the theory because it supports that there was consistent gene flow between different populations of H. Sapiens, which helped them all evolve into H. Sapiens in the end.
Ooh cool thank you!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:16:00 pm by Owlbird83 »

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #13015 on: September 28, 2020, 12:18:34 pm »
For the genetic coding table do we put mRNA in there? Or do we use the coding strand of DNA but just convert all the thymines to URACIL?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13016 on: September 28, 2020, 12:38:37 pm »
+3
For the genetic coding table do we put mRNA in there? Or do we use the coding strand of DNA but just convert all the thymines to URACIL?
Should always be transcribing the template strand :)
Refer to the 2002 exam Section B Q4
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #13017 on: September 28, 2020, 01:40:16 pm »
Should always be transcribing the template strand :)
Refer to the 2002 exam Section B Q4

What does that mean? That what we read in the table is the mRNA or the opposite of mRNA. I don’t understand
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

-Lilac-

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #13018 on: September 28, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
+3
What does that mean? That what we read in the table is the mRNA or the opposite of mRNA. I don’t understand

You can convert the mRNA into the amino acid sequence using the codon table.

I think they were just saying that the mRNA is the opposite of the template strand but in RNA not DNA. Thus, to get the mRNA you need to transcribe the template strand and not the coding strand.
Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Immunology)
Honours (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13019 on: September 28, 2020, 02:24:18 pm »
+3
Person above is right
1. Transcribe the template strand = mRNA
2. Use mRNA in the codon table
3. Write out the sequence of amino acids
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis