Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:45:17 am

Author Topic: calling (past, current, future) microbiology students  (Read 693 times)  Share 

hazel_motes

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
calling (past, current, future) microbiology students
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:36:26 pm »
hello! i myself am planning to major in microbiology, and i was wondering if any past/current students could share their experiences? i scoured the forums but it seems like it's perhaps not the most popular major/minor.

thank you! :')

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: calling (past, current, future) microbiology students
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:59:49 pm »
+2
I have a friend who does Microbiology. I also shared classes with Microbio students, especially when I did Molecular Bio. I did genetics myself though.

I'd suggest that you check out some the reviews on the Monash Subject Reviews and Ratings thread. Although most MIC units won't be up there, there'll be first year Bio and other units that you might consider minoring in. You might also find similar lecturers to the ones already posted, who'll teach in Microbio and in, say, Biomed about the same sorts of topics.

I also found a copy of the Counter Faculty Handbook 2018, which is produced by the MSA (Monash Student Association). It only had MIC2022 and ranked it quite nicely, although it was definitely not a bludge unit for sure. According to this:
Quote from: Course Faculty Handbook 2018: MIC2022 Review
Teaching Quality: 4/5
Interestingness: 5/5
Bludge Factor: 1.5/5

Some assignments where weighted far too lightly for the amount of work they required. Students thought that unless you had a real passion for microbiology, this unit would be hell. Those students were probably correct. Don't forget your molecular micro from sem 1!
(Note: This is not my own opinion and I am simply quoting the book. One unit also doesn't make a major, so I'd take this with a grain of salt.)

I'd advise anyone with more knowledge or experiences to please provide some input.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread