Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 01:29:53 pm

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1420253 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5880 on: February 27, 2020, 11:48:02 am »
+1
Yes completely different to a lecture.

Lectures will generally have hundreds of students seated in a lecture theatre with one lecturer talking with a PowerPoint presentation.

Thanks Sine for the reply again.  :D

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5881 on: March 09, 2020, 07:00:46 am »
+5
Happy week 1, semester 1 y'all!
Enjoy the extra week of sleeping in whilst you can! 😂

(I say this as I'm off to uni wayyy too early because PT is not my friend on public holidays lol)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5882 on: March 09, 2020, 09:34:32 am »
+6
^ In addition to this, remember that Monash Uni doesn’t count a bunch of state public holidays as uni holidays, including Labour Day, Queens Birthday and Melbourne Cup. (Pretty sure Labour Day doesn’t count, but would double check that one if you’re supposed to be physically on campus.)

Today’s public transport timetable seems to have switched to a Saturday timetable near campus and so have City Loop trains, but please double check what timetables your PTV journey is on today just in case, if you’re travelling to campus!

Fortunately, for many, it’ll only be online classes this week, so good luck!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:55:29 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5883 on: March 16, 2020, 09:47:47 pm »
How was the first day on campus for everyone?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5884 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:57 pm »
+3
I didn't realise that I missed the noise of people being around at Parkville until today, and I'll probably be missing the noise and the fact that there's people around tomorrow. :')

(Going to be fun in the lab tomorrow with the 1.5m distancing- I need to watch someone do stuff in the Cell line hood tomorrow morning-
also finding it hard to find specific information for my cohort as the FPPS appear to only worry about the undergrads at this point ahah, not even sure if they'll even let me into the lab tomorrow ngl)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5885 on: March 17, 2020, 09:18:52 am »
+3

Really weird walking around and seeing the o week signs, pavilions etc, but no o week. I didn't have any classes so I don't know if those were as full as usual but it felt like a normal day on campus to me.

pieramit

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5886 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:29 pm »
Hi guys- super :( about what's going on at the moment but understand that it's necessary given the pandemic and risk of infection/contagion- also want to preface this by saying I'm incredibly sorry to anyone who is being affected by this coronavirus and hope they get better.
At the risk of seeming insensitive (which I have no intention of being), as a first year physio student, I need some advice with regards to what to do. It looks at this stage that the rest of sem 1 (for physiotherapy not sure about other courses) is going to be online.
There's a lot of people saying that they're deferring or taking an intermission from courses generally and I'm worried that (considering physiotherapy is highly practical) I'm going to be the only person left in my course if I don't defer before it's too late....
Other physio students out there or other students in courses with high practical/lab element (first year, second year etc.) ...would you recommend deferring/taking an intermission given the situation and are you staying or leaving? thx and stay safe x
Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) (2020)

Hist Revs (2016): 44
Lit (2017): 44
H&H (2017): 50
Glo Pol (2017): 44
Psych (2017): 44
ATAR: 99.10

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5887 on: March 19, 2020, 04:07:43 pm »
+7
Hi guys- super :( about what's going on at the moment but understand that it's necessary given the pandemic and risk of infection/contagion- also want to preface this by saying I'm incredibly sorry to anyone who is being affected by this coronavirus and hope they get better.
At the risk of seeming insensitive (which I have no intention of being), as a first year physio student, I need some advice with regards to what to do. It looks at this stage that the rest of sem 1 (for physiotherapy not sure about other courses) is going to be online.
There's a lot of people saying that they're deferring or taking an intermission from courses generally and I'm worried that (considering physiotherapy is highly practical) I'm going to be the only person left in my course if I don't defer before it's too late....
Other physio students out there or other students in courses with high practical/lab element (first year, second year etc.) ...would you recommend deferring/taking an intermission given the situation and are you staying or leaving? thx and stay safe x
You would probably be fine either way whether you choose to defer or just continue online imo. I would hazard a guess that your most important practical sessions and placements will be in your later years of the course. Monash's job is to get you through your 4 years and they should be doing what they can to make sure that students are not impeded by this pandemic. This potentially may mean backloading all your clinical and lab classes towards the end of the year which I hear a few universities have already started to consider. You could maybe ask them how they plan to catch you guys up after semester 1 so that you can make an informed decision on what you will be doing this year.

Also, hopefully, K888 can give a bit more specific advice on this soon.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5888 on: March 20, 2020, 12:59:35 pm »
+6
Hey there, choice is ultimately up to you but they will definitely help you out with anything you'll miss over the semester. It's not going to be an easy semester for anyone but the physio team are great and will support you throughout this!

First sem is probably the best semester to be doing online in terms of prac skills - they're reasonably simple and pretty quick to learn and you'll be able to learn them in person in second sem and in second year if that's what it comes to. First sem is all lower limb which is probably the easiest content to learn compared to the other semesters of physio. That being said, learning online will require a lot of self-control and determination because you'll have to be watching all those lectures yourself to stay up to date on content. If you think you'll really not be able to do that then maybe deferring would be the best option.

But ya, main thing is the uni will absolutely make sure you don't miss out on essential skills. It might mean learning stuff at different times and working more intensively in the future but as a course that makes you a registered physiotherapist at the end of it, the uni has to make sure you do learn all your skills so don't worry that you'll never learn them.

If you haven't chatted to Mick/the other members of the first year team yet, maybe give them an email. They'll be really good in helping you make a decision.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5889 on: March 25, 2020, 10:12:17 pm »
+3
The LTB today only seemed slightly busier at 2pm compared to 8pm from what I saw. Definitely strange to not have it be a hub of activity but I'm glad it's open.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5890 on: March 26, 2020, 11:45:05 am »
+1
The LTB today only seemed slightly busier at 2pm compared to 8pm from what I saw. Definitely strange to not have it be a hub of activity but I'm glad it's open.
The Parkville honours space has 4 people in it (including me), which is the busiest I've seen it since Monday last week :o

Slightly annoyed that the library at Parkville campus is shut, as I've found that I've often needed a second screen to do my work recently- and the library's where all the PCs are at :/ at least that they are somewhat looking after us though.

Don't know when they'll stop me going into the research labs though, that could be sometime today, or next week; all I know is that the advice given to me by the faculty is to maximise the use of lab time whilst I have it haha

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5891 on: March 30, 2020, 03:18:37 pm »
+1

Unfortunately based on this it seems like it's now only open for staff access.

The Parkville honours space has 4 people in it (including me), which is the busiest I've seen it since Monday last week :o

Slightly annoyed that the library at Parkville campus is shut, as I've found that I've often needed a second screen to do my work recently- and the library's where all the PCs are at :/ at least that they are somewhat looking after us though.

Don't know when they'll stop me going into the research labs though, that could be sometime today, or next week; all I know is that the advice given to me by the faculty is to maximise the use of lab time whilst I have it haha

Based on this https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/2161221/Parkville-campus-map-COVID-19-access.pdf you can get into any building at Parkville if you have swipe card access.

To clarify, maps for Caulfield, Clayton, Parkville & Peninsula have been released showing what you can access and what you can't access.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:20:36 pm by Springyboy »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5892 on: March 30, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
+2
Based on this https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/2161221/Parkville-campus-map-COVID-19-access.pdf you can get into any building at Parkville if you have swipe card access.
Was already aware of this haha, but thanks- I have access to buildings 402, 403, and 404 from the outside (tested this Friday when they locked the actual building and not the rooms inside haha) and I can still access building 1 through my honours study hallway haha, wasn't stressed about getting in ^-^

More concerned as to when they'll shut us down ngl :P

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5893 on: March 31, 2020, 02:26:51 pm »
+3
More concerned as to when they'll shut us down ngl :P
Spoke too soon- Monash Parkville/MIPS are going essential academics and researchers only as of next Monday (the 6th)- and for a month (maybe longer); dunno what that'll mean for my honours project as that'll put me out of the lab for 4 weeks (or more) (not including this week), but I hope they at least tell us sometime this week 😬
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:30:24 pm by insanipi »

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5894 on: April 01, 2020, 11:52:39 am »
+1
Spoke too soon- Monash Parkville/MIPS are going essential academics and researchers only as of next Monday (the 6th)- and for a month (maybe longer); dunno what that'll mean for my honours project as that'll put me out of the lab for 4 weeks (or more) (not including this week), but I hope they at least tell us sometime this week 😬

@insanipi, they've updated the factsheet to define what research is allowed under the current situation. See the picture here to clarify